Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 09:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,579,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I'm 86% sure that's made up.
Fine. I'll give you the source.

http://wagner.nyu.edu/files/rudincen...nCommuting.pdf

14% of Manhattan workers* drive alone to work. Came from the census survey.

*as in workers who work in Manhattan, regardless of their residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 09:21 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,325,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Fine. I'll give you the source.

http://wagner.nyu.edu/files/rudincen...nCommuting.pdf

14% of Manhattan workers* drive alone to work. Came from the census survey.

*as in workers who work in Manhattan, regardless of their residence.
*drive alone =/= drive

Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,010,568 times
Quote:
Well if you live in Ithaca and are going to Ithaca Commons, if you're living nearby it's likely you'd walk. And some would take the bus. Most other spots upstate or to normal shopping areas? Yes, they'd drive but there are a few town center districts that get pedestrians. But I agree the vast majority drives. A lot of new construction in upstate NY is in large lots, adding to the spread-out ness, so driving distances might rather high for some.
The Ithaca Commons has NO GROCERY STORE. The closest two are Wegman's and Tops. Most of Ithaca and most of Tompkins County (Ithaca is in Tompkins) is not within walking distance of a grocery store. As you just admitted, the vast majority drive. Oh, and just two groups of people live within walking distance of the commons. Mainly students, and there's a poor welfare section. Generally regular working residents don't live near the commons. (the commons is also close to all of Tompkins County's welfare agencies).

Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,579,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
*drive alone =/= drive

What do you think it means, then? Drive alone excludes by taxi or carpool, which get grouped under other together with bicycling (check the link for the other total)

Old 01-14-2014, 06:06 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,325,938 times
Quote:
What do you think it means, then? Drive alone excludes by taxi or carpool, which get grouped under other together with bicycling (check the link for the other total)
Carpool is still driving.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:15 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,830,932 times
Bottom line is, people in NY drive plenty. No one is going to convince me that the reason for NY's lower miles per capita is not due to NYC. I live down here and see the multitude of busses going in to NYC from as far away as here, and as you get closer to NY, there's busses clogging up everything.

Also, the more I research this online, the more I see that NYS is the very definition of a sprawled out state. I misunderstood what sprawl meant- I thought it meant population growing outward instead of being compact. When actually the more sinister type of sprawl is when the there's no growth, and land is still gobbled up. Or, even worse in NY case, negative growth plus a major loss of land.

Rochester had 296k in 1970 and has 210k in 2010. Forget estimates or whatever, those are census numbers. Yet the urbanized area is much larger:

Urban Sprawl: The Hidden Crisis in Rochester

Crazy to see Rochester as being more sprawled out than Dallas, Texas. Point being, southern areas aren't really as sprawled out because their gaining population, both in the city and the suburbs.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:27 AM

93,650 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Bottom line is, people in NY drive plenty. No one is going to convince me that the reason for NY's lower miles per capita is not due to NYC. I live down here and see the multitude of busses going in to NYC from as far away as here, and as you get closer to NY, there's busses clogging up everything.

Also, the more I research this online, the more I see that NYS is the very definition of a sprawled out state. I misunderstood what sprawl meant- I thought it meant population growing outward instead of being compact. When actually the more sinister type of sprawl is when the there's no growth, and land is still gobbled up. Or, even worse in NY case, negative growth plus a major loss of land.

Rochester had 296k in 1970 and has 210k in 2010. Forget estimates or whatever, those are census numbers. Yet the urbanized area is much larger:

Urban Sprawl: The Hidden Crisis in Rochester

Crazy to see Rochester as being more sprawled out than Dallas, Texas. Point being, southern areas aren't really as sprawled out because their gaining population, both in the city and the suburbs.
Yet, when you look at NY areas outside of NYC, they have much shorter commute times. So, the built environment may still be relatively more compact, but in relation to population, it may appear to be more sprawled. This is also keeping multiple employment centers in mind, if I'm not mistaken.

Keep in mind that the center cities up here are pretty much fixed. So, if you build out up here, it isn't necessarily the same as these other metros, where the city limits may also sprawl out. So, built environment regardless of population is also key to look at.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:38 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,873,598 times
half the people here are from NY.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:52 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,830,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yet, when you look at NY areas outside of NYC, they have much shorter commute times. So, the built environment may still be relatively more compact, but in relation to population, it may appear to be more sprawled. This is also keeping multiple employment centers in mind, if I'm not mistaken.

Keep in mind that the center cities up here are pretty much fixed. So, if you build out up here, it isn't necessarily the same as these other metros, where the city limits may also sprawl out. So, built environment regardless of population is also key to look at.
A major part of that short commute time in Upstate NY is that these cities were built to handle 100k more people than they currently have. Rochester's high in 1950 was 120k more people than now. Similar percentage of loss for Buffalo and Syracuse as well.

Hard to compare as southern metros are building currently to meet demand, and Upstate metros are overbuilt for the current population.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 AM

93,650 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
half the people here are from NY.
Or it seems that way and many move there to retire. That seems to be the difference between the two states.

P.S.- That is the point about infrastructure/built environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York