Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:41 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You never went to shopping on Route 59 in and around Nanuet? I know that Palisades Mall is there as well, but I probably would go to Nanuet for shopping.
Watched them build it and shopped there for years, now it's gone. Palisades mall is a giant ugly mess that shakes, yes shakes. That location was a marsh/swamp and was always prone to flooding. Route 59 hasn't had a proper paving in decades. Once you've lived away from the area you get used to updated shopping, nice traffic patterns and roads that are maintained. The kindest thing they could do to Rt59 by the mall is flatten everything and start over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:43 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Watched them build it and shopped there for years, now it's gone. Palisades mall is a giant ugly mess that shakes, yes shakes. That location was a marsh/swamp and was always prone to flooding. Route 59 hasn't had a proper paving in decades. Once you've lived away from the area you get used to updated shopping, nice traffic patterns and roads that are maintained. The kindest thing they could do to Rt59 by the mall is flatten everything and start over.
Man, VA Yankee......Route 59 kind of reminds me of Erie Boulevard in the Eastern suburbs of Syracuse and the same company that built DestinyUSA here built Palisades Center. Destiny sinks slowly as well. I will say that in Onondaga County, we have other shopping options that are more pleasant and that are at least alright. It will be interesting to see what happens when this gets finished: Township 5, Syracuse, NY | Cameron Group LLC

I guess places like Warwick, Goshen or perhaps the Spackenkill area just outside of Poughkeepsie would be better Downstate options.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
I appreciate all the input folks, your opinions and views have helped me learn a little about your city, I've only been to NY once, and it was a layover and I've never had a chance to get out and look around really. I didn't want to have any preconceptions about my NY clients, and I feel you guys have done a great job helping me understand the differences between city life, the suburbs of NY and the Upstate. Also, the information provided was very helpful thank for the articles!

Old 04-23-2014, 05:52 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I can't think of a single place I'd live in Rockland County. If a gun was pointed at me, I guess I'd live in Sloatsburg because of the easy access to Harriman State Park (which is the best part of Rockland, hands down). The Nyacks aren't the worst, but I'd probably go with Piermont as a second.

Warwick is a nice town, a little run down and definitely way pricey for what you get, but not bad.

I remember when they built Palisades Mall, I was just getting into my field and if I recall correctly they built it right over a Superfund site. People were up in arms because they didn't clean any of it up, just paved over it. Also, it has to be one of the ugliest malls I've ever seen.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Man, VA Yankee......Route 59 kind of reminds me of Erie Boulevard in the Eastern suburbs of Syracuse and the same company that built DestinyUSA here built Palisades Center. Destiny sinks slowly as well. I will say that in Onondaga County, we have other shopping options that are more pleasant and that are at least alright. It will be interesting to see what happens when this gets finished: Township 5, Syracuse, NY | Cameron Group LLC

I guess places like Warwick, Goshen or perhaps the Spackenkill area just outside of Poughkeepsie would be better Downstate options.
I would have picked Morristown for you in the NYC metro. Highly walkable, diverse, tons of good restaurants, history, among other things.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I would have picked Morristown for you in the NYC metro. Highly walkable, diverse, tons of good restaurants, history, among other things.
Interesting.....I've been to Central Jersey a while back and thought it was fine. I don't know if I would live in New Brunswick, but maybe places like Piscataway or North Brunswick would work.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I appreciate all the input folks, your opinions and views have helped me learn a little about your city, I've only been to NY once, and it was a layover and I've never had a chance to get out and look around really. I didn't want to have any preconceptions about my NY clients, and I feel you guys have done a great job helping me understand the differences between city life, the suburbs of NY and the Upstate. Also, the information provided was very helpful thank for the articles!
No problem and I think the information that you provided gives people that consider the area an idea of the housing market and other costs or even in relation to where they currently live.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Interesting.....I've been to Central Jersey a while back and thought it was fine. I don't know if I would live in New Brunswick, but maybe places like Piscataway or North Brunswick would work.
New Brunswick is ok, but crime is pretty high there. Large sections of the city are run down and unsafe. North Brunswick and Piscataway are kinda bland suburbs, though they are diverse. Strip malls dominate a lot of N Brunswick along Route 1, Route 27, 130 and industrial areas along Route 91. Montclair is another really great town close to NY, but mad expensive.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:58 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
No problem and I think the information that you provided gives people that consider the area an idea of the housing market and other costs or even in relation to where they currently live.
Yes I was quite shocked to see such similarities between the two metros.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Yes I was quite shocked to see such similarities between the two metros.
Well, keep in mind that the list of median home prices were for counties throughout the state, not just the NYC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York