Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:12 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,038,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityanne View Post
I'm interested in this...

We're in NYC, and considering moving Upstate - but don't want to have to buy a car.

I've looked at things like Walkscore, which is some help - but they seem to think I'm more interested in having a local coffee shop than a local supermarket. There seems to be a fundamental assumption that of *course* I drive to work, the supermarket, and the mall... they think I just want to be able to stroll to coffee shops, bookstores and boutiques (oh, and sure, pick up milk and bread, but not staples...)

I'm perfectly willing to take transit (I expect transit...) to some things - especially places I don't go routinely (shopping mall or district, theatre and museum, even that hospital, as long as the transit is reasonable) - but I do expect to be able to buy food locally. (We both work from home, so a commute is not an issue.)

I've basically been looking at reasonably large cities, since some smaller places seem to have some services, even a wonderfully walkable neighborhood - but no way to get to that theatre - or hospital - and get home easily (especially at night...) and that won't work.

But I'm interested in seeing what people have to suggest.
The only places Upstate with reliable transit tend to be college towns, and the only one I can think of that really has a good blend of density, walkability, access to both local and regional transit is Ithaca. TCAT takes you to the mall, Wegmans, hospital, etc, Short Line can take you to NYC, and the food co-op is within walking distance of downtown.

I am not familiar with Buffalo, but I do know that Albany and Rochester are suburban and sprawling enough to be challenging without cars, and the smaller cities in
the Hudson Valley do not offer reliable transit.

You can get by in a place like Red Hook if you are within walking distance of the Hannaford but getting out of town presents its own challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 07:34 AM

93,218 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
The only places Upstate with reliable transit tend to be college towns, and the only one I can think of that really has a good blend of density, walkability, access to both local and regional transit is Ithaca. TCAT takes you to the mall, Wegmans, hospital, etc, Short Line can take you to NYC, and the food co-op is within walking distance of downtown.

I am not familiar with Buffalo, but I do know that Albany and Rochester are suburban and sprawling enough to be challenging without cars, and the smaller cities in

You can get by in a place like Red Hook if you are within walking distance of the Hannaford but getting out of town presents its own challenge.
With the bigger areas, the cities and first ring suburbs tend to be the best bets. This is especially the case if you are near a major street or in select college/university neighborhoods.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-25-2015 at 07:45 AM..

Old 09-25-2015, 10:29 AM

Here is a list of transit systems in the state: https://www.nytransit.org/index.php?...45b78685e_8235

Old 09-25-2015, 05:46 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post

Albany seems to be pretty urban based on what I've seen on google street view

Old 09-27-2015, 08:51 AM

131 posts, read 138,834 times
Many towns in upstate are walkable, I see many people walking along the towns on US 20A. That said, unless u are living in Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, NYC, or other large cities in Upstate, a car will be necessary. Even a car is a convenience in the other NY cities not named NYC

Old 09-27-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddust View Post
Many towns in upstate are walkable, I see many people walking along the towns on US 20A. That said, unless u are living in Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, NYC, or other large cities in Upstate, a car will be necessary. Even a car is a convenience in the other NY cities not named NYC
I think what is nice is that you can find walkable areas, but you can still have/use a car if you want to. With that said, I'm just wondering about what are some areas in Upstate NY where you don't have to or would hardly have to leave in order to do everything you need to on foot or through public transportation. When I asked this, I was thinking in terms of neighborhoods or small cities/towns/villages.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:44 PM

131 posts, read 138,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think what is nice is that you can find walkable areas, but you can still have/use a car if you want to. With that said, I'm just wondering about what are some areas in Upstate NY where you don't have to or would hardly have to leave in order to do everything you need to on foot or through public transportation. When I asked this, I was thinking in terms of neighborhoods or small cities/towns/villages.
Well towns in Dutchess County, Orange County, and Ulster County have some towns if you consider those Upstate. Then mainly the suburbs such as Saratoga Springs, Amherst/Williamsville etc all really are walkable to everything nearby.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:45 PM

Another area could potentially work is Genesee Street/Downtown Auburn. It has a Wegmans in the middle of Downtown, with restaurants, a men's clothing store, the Auburn Public Theater, Schweinfurth Art Center, a library, a bookstore, a YMCA, other boutiques/stores and services. Auburn Downtown BID

Old 09-28-2015, 09:33 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,480 times
I think Canandaigua fits the description well too. It has two grocery stores downtown and 2 on the outer skirts of the city, a shoe store, clothes store downtown, restaurants, library, YMCA, music stores, furniture store, 3 museums with Sonnenberg Gardens, The Ontarion County Historical Society, Granger Homestead and Carriage Museuem, walkable to the lake area, many downtown events such as wine walks. And it has good public transportation around the city.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:07 AM

14 posts, read 18,762 times
Default Does anyone watches ARROW ?

Glades in starling city is the best area to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York