Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 02:36 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good catch...While it’s median household income is relatively higher than many other cities, prosperous is the wrong word to use.

In the true sense, select walkable villages or city neighborhoods are likely to be a better fit.
Yeah when you compare Johnstown to Gloversville and Amsterdam, most people would probably prefer to live over in Johnstown. Less blight, less crime, more white, more quiet, slightly better school system. Much more sense of community. Overall very safe community.

It is pretty walkable though. I wish they'd try to attract more businesses to the downtown/Main Street section. Johnstown, like many upstate NY communities is full of people who don't want anything to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 03:43 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Yeah when you compare Johnstown to Gloversville and Amsterdam, most people would probably prefer to live over in Johnstown. Less blight, less crime, more white, more quiet, slightly better school system. Much more sense of community. Overall very safe community.

It is pretty walkable though. I wish they'd try to attract more businesses to the downtown/Main Street section. Johnstown, like many upstate NY communities is full of people who don't want anything to change.
Or leadership that may lack the vision for their communities.

Johnstown was built off of a similar basis as Gloversville, in terms of the leather/glove industry in both cities. Hence the term “the Glove Cities”.

I believe that Fage Yogurt and Sherwin-Williams both have facilities in Johnstown.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:29 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Or leadership that may lack the vision for their communities.

Johnstown was built off of a similar basis as Gloversville, in terms of the leather/glove industry in both cities. Hence the term “the Glove Cities”.

I believe that Fage Yogurt and Sherwin-Williams both have facilities in Johnstown.
Leadership is the big thing. A few years ago a guy named Scott Jeffers ran for mayor and his big push was to bring businesses to the downtown. It was such an optimistic, ambitious proposal with the main goal to transform downtown Johnstown...I knew at that exact moment he'd never win because the town is too closed minded and short sighted. Quite a shame.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Leadership is the big thing. A few years ago a guy named Scott Jeffers ran for mayor and his big push was to bring businesses to the downtown. It was such an optimistic, ambitious proposal with the main goal to transform downtown Johnstown...I knew at that exact moment he'd never win because the town is too closed minded and short sighted. Quite a shame.
Yeah, that is crazy and sad. I sometimes wonder if people have what I call a "suburban" mindset in terms of thinking that everyone thinks that walkability and reviving the traditional Downtown as a thing of the past. So, they think investing in sprawling suburban development and car centered strips are the way to go. I say that, because I honestly think that people attach a stigma to an "urban" lifestyle or attach to certain "things or people".

You would think that a small city like Johnstown would want to revive its Downtown and take advantage of its walkable infrastructure.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-30-2018 at 07:02 AM..

Old 01-30-2018, 09:20 AM

In terms of another place, I believe that Hamilton would be another village that has its own urban area that would fit.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:39 PM

East Aurora is another village that has its own urban area and would fit. https://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc1...C10UC25598.pdf

East Aurora, NY - USA.com™

Another bigger village with its own urban area that could fit is Le Roy: https://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc1...C10UC49150.pdf

Le Roy, NY - USA.com™

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-31-2018 at 05:58 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 07:53 AM

Another Rochester area village that is over that 2500 person mark and that has its own urban area is Honeoye Falls: Honeoye Falls, NY - USA.com™

https://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc1...C10UC39821.pdf

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9530...7i13312!8i6656

This is where I got the census information from in terms of the urban requirement: https://www.census.gov/geo/reference/urban-rural.html

Also, this is the source for urban area maps: https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/maps/2010ua.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York