Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are home prices going to fall of rise?
You feel it is a buyers market and the home prices over the next year will FALL by 0-5% 12 17.39%
You feel it is a buyers market and the home prices over the next year will FALL by 5.1-10% 12 17.39%
You feel it is a buyers market and the home prices over the next year will FALL by 10.1-15% 5 7.25%
You feel it is a buyers market and the home prices over the next year will FALL by 15.1+ 5 7.25%
You feel that the market over the next year will NEITHER FALL OR RISE but rather STABILIZE. 25 36.23%
You feel it is a sellers market and the home prices over the next year will INCREASE by 0-5% 5 7.25%
You feel it is a sellers market and the home prices over the next year will INCREASE by 5.1-10% 1 1.45%
ou feel it is a sellers market and the home prices over the next year will INCREASE by 10.1-15% 2 2.90%
You feel it is a sellers market and the home prices over the next year will INCREASE by 15.1+ 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:49 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times

Advertisements

house hunter get you are delusional if you think you can get a new home in my district for 400,000. The new construction by the high school is over 500,000. I said my home is like new since all the rooms were re done down to the studs. new cesspools, new furnance, new windows and doors 2 new baths and new kitchen, new carpet and flooring,

Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 AM

202 posts, read 470,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
house hunter get you are delusional if you think you can get a new home in my district for 400,000. The new construction by the high school is over 500,000. I said my home is like new since all the rooms were re done down to the studs. new cesspools, new furnance, new windows and doors 2 new baths and new kitchen, new carpet and flooring,
I think that sellers such as yourself are delusional... I know the market well and you CAN get a brand new home for LESS than an old one as yours. This is a result of hey if my next door niegbor can get XXX for his house last year than I can get XXX for mine. The key word is last year. Its over... so get over it. If you want hard proof than here it is. Why would any right minded person buy an old gilapee if you can get a brand new home for the same or less. you told me that your home is a 3 bed 1.5 bath and is 1800 SF. the below is a 3 bed 2 bath and is the same SF all new construction. get your head out of 2005 already would you... If not you won't sell. oh fdo you have a 1/2 acre lot???? hmnnnn

$399K MLS ID#: 1860025 its brand spankin new and on 1/2 acre. Show me an existing home with those specs. for the same price . They do exist for that price in patchoge. I was just making the point if you can get new for that price why would I buy a home with problems and get less. thats all.

now take a look at MLS ID#: 1896444 for $405K... this is an existing 1971 outdated ranch on less than 1/4 acre and costs more. Its a no brainer. If you have to buy right now get a new home built... they are just as expensive as existing homes in patchogue...

enjoy!

Old 02-27-2007, 11:37 AM

15 posts, read 105,896 times
Default new vs old

While house hunter believes (and may be completely accurate, I'm not an expert) you can get a new house for less than an older home, does new necessarily mean better? Better quality, without headaches, etc.? My house is over 100 years old and is as solidly built as (if not better than) any new home today. Not a crack in the foundation to be found, no water in the basement EVER, no cracks from settling in the drywall, etc. Sure, we've done some improvements over the years like a new roof and new siding, but the bones of this house are strong! Cast iron tub weighs a ton and the upstairs floor that supports it never complains, not even a creak! The charm of an older home can just not be found in the cookie cutter homes of today. I just don't equate new with better...I'll take my "jalopy" hands down!

Old 02-27-2007, 11:52 AM

first of all you don't even know my location in Patchogue, second of all is the house for 399 in what district? Second of all i am way less than what my neighbor got 1 year ago for the same house so I know the market also, so why don't you buy that new house, for 75,000 more and what are the taxes on the new construction?

Old 02-27-2007, 11:52 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,645 times
I agree with nicknat; each house must be evaluated on its own merits (or lack thereof), otherwise it's just comparing apples to oranges. I would take a solidly built older (or even vintage) home over the same size new house of mediocre construction, in the same neighborhood, any day. Things like 2x6 framing make a big difference to me. Ditto for important basics such as full basement versus crawlspace or slab, and so forth.

The only new construction I've been impressed with, for the past 10 years or so, has been custom built (versus cookycutter development builders) -- and even then I've been critical of some aspects of those true custom homes. I've extensively renovated four houses, plus designed and completely GC'd the custom-build of two others (all were our own homes, and all on LI), so I do have some little experience in what I'm looking at when it comes to how a house has been built. Just as an example, my two custom homes were framed entirely in 2x6 hem-fir and 12" on center throughout. Try to find a builder offering that as a standard spec!

The fact that a house is new construction does not impress me. How it's built, does.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:58 AM

first of all you don't even know my location in Patchogue, second of all is the house for 399 in what district? Second of all i am way less than what my neighbor got 1 year ago for the same house so I know the market also, so why don't you buy that new house, for 75,000 more and what are the taxes on the new construction?

Old 02-27-2007, 12:00 PM

It is smaller than mine also. I have more rooms. and again waht are the taxes? I refuse to argue anymore with you, go purchase that house and good luck you will need it and by the way the New York forumm is the only forum where people argue.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
I agree with nicknat; each house must be evaluated on its own merits (or lack thereof), otherwise it's just comparing apples to oranges. I would take a solidly built older (or even vintage) home over the same size new house of mediocre construction, in the same neighborhood, any day. Things like 2x6 framing make a big difference to me. Ditto for important basics such as full basement versus crawlspace or slab, and so forth.

The only new construction I've been impressed with, for the past 10 years or so, has been custom built (versus cookycutter development builders) -- and even then I've been critical of some aspects of those true custom homes. I've extensively renovated four houses, plus designed and completely GC'd the custom-build of two others (all were our own homes, and all on LI), so I do have some little experience in what I'm looking at when it comes to how a house has been built. Just as an example, my two custom homes were framed entirely in 2x6 hem-fir and 12" on center throughout. Try to find a builder offering that as a standard spec!

The fact that a house is new construction does not impress me. How it's built, does.
It does not surprise me that a person such as yourself that has built two homes can be so mislead. Allow me to explain, fist you should already know from your experience that older homes were built from far lesser stringent construction methodologies and materials.

for example:
exterior walls were commonly built from 2x4 studs instead of the now mandated 2x6's due to the new energy conservation code which mandates what the minimum insulation must be on the building envelope. 2x4 for example even with todays technology could get you an R-11 due to the nominal 3 1/2" wall cavity dimention whereas the new construction methods of 2x6 exterior construction will get you R-19 or even R-27 ect. More insulation = less fuel to heat the home. also floor and roof construction were built with 2x6 where now they are built with 2x10 or even 2x12. which means a stronger frame. connections and ties such as "Simpson strong ties to guard against hurricanes and seismic activity were never even in production back in the day and are not only used now but are mandated in certain areas. also another advent was the Sheetrock and the plywood. Older homes were built with plaster lath, cribbing and mesh on walls and are now built out of Sheetrock. on the floors you now have toungue and groove 3/4 plywood where in the day they used slatted 1/2 x 3 wood boards which made for not only a weaker floor but also a noisey one... is this what you mean by solidly built older home??? this is a common misconception. its actually the other way around... In fact, by having your contractor place studs every 12" oc vs 16 " oc... you've done nothing. there is a reason that they are designed 16" o.c. its a structural system not a part. take for example 1/2" x 48" x 96" typical Sheetrock. now divide 48 by three studs or 96 by 6 studs... what do you get? 16" building in such a way will only strengthen the exterior but what happens to ducting and insulation? you have not only increased your cost unnecessarily on framing but also must now use blown insulation. much more expensive. It is unnecessary to frame interior walls out of 2x6 12" oc. when you have got engineered tji's ad gluelam ect this is a complete waste. BTW, all homes settle the only difference here is that older homes tend to have stopped settling but not always. also you mentioned foundation. again you could not be so wrong. New homes are 99% poured in place concrete foundation where older homes are block or even older natural stone. they not only leak but also aren't monolithic. meaning built as a unitary system. this is what makes poured concrete foundations far more superior. crawl space vs. full basement has nothing to do with being older or new construction and just has to do with ewhere the water table is and what the budget of the homeowner was when the home was built.

I hope I have dispelled the myth that an older home is superior to new. it isn't. Most old homes come with a huge share of problems that can not be fixed or is not feasible to fix. I will not disagree that new development type homes lack style or charm. this comes from detailing which has been lost to time. builders have become lazy knowing that they can make top dollar building cookie cutter and therefor the artistry of building and craftsmanship fell by the waste-side. However, this is no different with older homes where they are so outdated mechanically as well as aesthetically that they need an overhaul to get the charm back.

all of the above has to do with the current housing boom age where we pay way too much for garbage. This is why we now live in homes and neighborhoods that look the way they do. We are overdue for a correction. Buyers should demand more of their builders and sellers. don't settle for second best ever.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I know your location very well as my brother lives way out there in those boonies taxes on new construction are the same as a similar sized home in the same location (this means livable area not unfinished space). The problem is that most people who build want the Mcmansion... and then have to pay for it. for example, in a city where there is sewer hookup it has to do with number of bathrooms as the more bedrooms and bathrooms the more sewage and garbage and therefore the higher the taxbill. makes total scence. If you were to put an addition to your home that yes you would pay more in tax

Old 02-27-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Than why are you not selling? sounds to me likre you should of sold a while ago. Just an educated observation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York