Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What the Greater New York City Area provides upstate with is more than what you provide us with. As if we need the meaningless St. Lawrence River when we have the Hudson River and Atlantic Ocean right here.

Agriculture, wine? We have Long Island for some of it and we could always trade for the rest.

NYC would prosper even more without upstate and we'd be the densest state in the country

Yeah, you sure have that dense part down pat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 12:42 PM

640 posts, read 2,013,169 times
Coming from Connecticut we go over on the LI Ferry a lot...Long Island wine is crank case oil. When was the last time you ate a fish out the Hudson?

Old 12-07-2008, 12:46 PM

640 posts, read 2,013,169 times
"Give me a break. Rochester and Syracuse both have highly educated populations and diverse and skilled labor pools...in both blue collar AND white collar fields."

And they young ones are rapidly getting out of there. Those areas are graying...quickly.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:34 PM

10,073 posts, read 14,458,372 times
I think this would be disastrous for the upstate part of NY state. It would be a sweet deal for the NYC portion of the state though!
The "new" state should be called simply New York City, and the newly-seceded part should just be "New York." Nothing majorly different in the naming part of the division. NYC's new population would be around 12.5 to 13 million people, while the New York state part would be around 5.5 to 6 million people. It'd probably be a smart move, really. Current upstate NY would not have to have their interests shipped downstate all the time, and NYC wouldn't have to carry upstate NY.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:22 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,450,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
What the Greater New York City Area provides upstate with is more than what you provide us with. As if we need the meaningless St. Lawrence River when we have the Hudson River and Atlantic Ocean right here.

Agriculture, wine? We have Long Island for some of it and we could always trade for the rest.

NYC would prosper even more without upstate and we'd be the densest state in the country.
Where do you think the Hudson River starts? lol...

Breaking up would benefit both places, and I don't really think you can say one is superior to the other. It's all about what a person is looking for in a city. My brother loves living in NYC and I love living Upstate. The culture is enough for him to make up for the craziness, noise, and pollution. The beautiful scenery and ease of driving up here is enough for me to make up for the boredom.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:47 PM

110 posts, read 491,288 times
It will never happen. Case closed.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:47 PM

Says the person from West Virginia......are you aware of the history of the creation of your state?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:33 PM

922 posts, read 3,862,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Says the person from West Virginia......are you aware of the history of the creation of your state?
West Virginia was created by secession from Virginia, but that was prompted by the Civil War, with Virginia in the Confederacy and West Virginia breaking off to join the Union.

The irony is kind of funny though

Old 12-07-2008, 09:40 PM

haha yeah that was the main point.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:04 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,247,252 times
Actually, West Virginia was created by a junta, with the blessings of the Federal government. It was not created by the wishes of the people living there. If you don't believe me, I will quote one of the Wheeling politicians, J. Chapman Stuart on Dec. 10, 1861, at the Constitutional Convention.

"Now, Mr. President, to show you, and it needs but to look at the figures to satisfy the mind of every member, that even a majority of the people within the district composed of the thirty-nine counties have never come to the polls and expressed their sentiments in favor of a new State. In a voting population of some 40,000 or 50,000 we see a poll of only 17,627 and even some of them were in the [Union] army."

Despite what you read in your history books, West Virginia was not created by the will of its citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York