Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:53 PM

578 posts, read 2,099,076 times

Advertisements

If they do break up into two states...North of Albany and West of the Catskills should be the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 04:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,546 times
Default I signed up just to post this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
I hear a lot of people upstate complain about the local economy and insist the 'government' and 'taxes' are all to blame, and then I see many of these same people head to Wallmart and other 'big box' stores to do ALL of their shopping, choosing to buy cheap goods from China, lumber and other building supplies from China, Canada, Eastern Europe, and food and vegetables from California, Chile, Mexico, etc., willingly sending a large percentage of their money out of state directly and by way of corporations headquartered elsewhere.
I have lived in upstate New York for thirteen years now and I for one must correct you when it comes to the Walmart situation because you are obviously misinformed. The fact of the matter is that people in upstate New York do not "choose" to shop at Walmart. When it comes down to it their is little choice. In the town I live in their has never been many locally owned businesses. What they call a mall here is a building with seven stores in it. As for people trying to start local businesses to befit the community, they are screwed from the start. No one can afford to keep one going because their are no programs or government funding helping the situation. This is a result of our taxes being shipped off to New York City. We do not see a dime of this money, our roads are falling apart, sidewalks twisted and becoming one with the earth once again. Walmart is a succubus to areas like this, they thrive on people that honestly have nowhere else to go. It is not a simple matter when one attempts to support their community and shop locally. The money that people put into small businesses goes right to New York City. With that said where is our piece of the pie? You think you understand whats going on but it seems like you are only looking at the half truth like most people.

Secondly in the town I live in third graders posted videos of kids fighting on youtube. If you are asking what this has to do with anything then you we're never good at connect the dots. Having little if any funding for government programs makes it very hard to build community centers for children. We have one library as for the mall people under the age of eighteen are not allowed to be on the grounds with out an adult because it is privately owned. We have no museums, social centers and zoos. What we do have is something out of a Mad Max movie because the taxes we put into our community is nowhere to be seen. Children are having children due in part but not fully to education regarding sex is non existent. Once again where is the money going for the funding that communities like these rightfully deserve. Maybe if their was funding for constructive programs provided with the money (taxes) that goes right out of these communities children would actually have some motivation to do better things with their lives.

Thirdly drugs are rampant in small communities for various reasons but this goes right back to our taxes being thrown into the wind. People here have no rehabilitation centers the closest one is almost 60 miles away. I know a lot of people standing idle because they are consumed by afflictions like this with out the ability to seek proper help. Maybe if their we're actual employment centers funded with local tax money people would have a chance to better their lives and part of the problem would dissolve. Then again this is unlikely if one understands the gravity of our oppression courtesy of New York City.

With all of this said regardless of walmart assimilating towns their are other factors which you have failed to mention that create these problems. New York City is nothing more than a leech siphoning our blood sweat and taxes, leaving in its wake a violated shell of an economy clinging to what little it had prior to Walmart finishing what the parasite known as New York City put in motion.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:10 PM

151 posts, read 714,145 times
There is such outrage with the tax situation in NY and it is only going to get worse. I think people would be receptive to a split considering the current state of affairs here in NY. Even the fear of it may stop them from raising taxes and to finally cut spending, waste and programs instead.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:00 PM

15 posts, read 57,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
If they do break up into two states...North of Albany and West of the Catskills should be the border.
Agreed.

Delaware/Ulster/Dutchess counties SHOULD not at the very least be included in the new state...but that will NEVER happen.
There is not going to be a succession.

Otherwise you'd have 100 states in no time, heck split CA into 5.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:23 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,955,610 times
Interesting thread. I first heard about this desire to secede when I moved to NY from CO back in 1980. I thought they were just joking. Since that time I've heard things similar to the comments on this thread. So I did some digging but couldn't find what I was looking for. (probably not putting the right words in the search engines)

Anyway, does anyone know why NYC could not split away from NYS? If so many are for it, why is it such an impossibility? I get what one poster said about soon having 100 states, but wouldn't that be on a case by case basis & therefore take too long to come to fruition?

Old 03-28-2009, 08:48 AM

15 posts, read 57,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Interesting thread. I first heard about this desire to secede when I moved to NY from CO back in 1980. I thought they were just joking. Since that time I've heard things similar to the comments on this thread. So I did some digging but couldn't find what I was looking for. (probably not putting the right words in the search engines)

Anyway, does anyone know why NYC could not split away from NYS? If so many are for it, why is it such an impossibility? I get what one poster said about soon having 100 states, but wouldn't that be on a case by case basis & therefore take too long to come to fruition?
The sucesseding areas have to agree by a wide vote...then the senate does...never going to occur.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:24 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Yeah unfortunately the senate would never approve. Splitting NYS into two states would then create two more senate seats throwing off the balance.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:33 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,450,395 times
The federal government has to approve it to.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:31 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Maybe we won't have to pay 6k in taxes for a $150k house then either!
In JawJah, we pay $600/yr taxes for $110k house. Y'all come down, heah!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:40 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
It's an interesting idea - split up the states into areas of common interest. But it won't mesh well with the original concept - a union of States (individual nations) served by their agent, the United States, in Congress assembled.

The major problem is the power to tax. If the state government (and the federal government) were denied 98% of their taxing power, would things improve?

Look around - would the local folks be better off, holding on to 98% of their earnings, profits, etc.?

IMHO - yes - the local folks would benefit. Remove the burdens of a tax devouring bureaucracy and legal system, and America would recover.

The next question: What changed so that the government could increase taxes, without any restraint?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York