Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:09 PM

55 posts, read 345,400 times

Advertisements

DITTO You are so right unless you have lived in New York you will never understand the bond we have and the pride of being a New Yorker and missing all the good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Are you a New Yorker? If not, then you'll NEVER understand what we're talking about.

If you are, then leave us alone to reminisce(sp?) about the old days.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 07:28 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
There is nowhere like Long Island. Yes, we complain about taxes, traffic, etc, etc. I lived in the Midwest for 3 years & North Carolina for a year. If you are born and bred on LI and have family there, it's very difficult to leave. First off, once you leave metro NY , the food elsewhere basically sux unless you consider McDonald's, Burger King, Olive Garden, etc. gourmet food. I lived in Northern Michigan and couldn't find a decent breakfast, slice of pizza, Chinese food, I could go on & on. I complain about traffic & taxes but would not live anywhere else. EVERYTHING is here. Food, shopping, concerts, other cultural activities, the beaches, NYC. I can fly nonstop to more Carribean Islands than anywhere except Miami. It's just an awesome place to call home.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:24 PM

14 posts, read 83,342 times
I left New York over 20 years ago and I've missed it every day since.

I grew up in upstate NY, went to one of the SUNY schools there, then transferred to another college on Long Island, where I later graduated and then began my career in Manhattan.

I guess you could say I am part of the entire state and the entire state is a part of me.

I've missed:

The people - the most outgoing, forthright people you will meet anywhere. With New Yorkers, you always know exactly where you stand, good or bad.

The scene - New Yorkers are always out and about doing things, mixing it up, getting together, socializing, inviting people over, etc.

The variety - New York is many places all at once. The mix of ethnic groups and cultures and climates all in one place makes for great recreation, great restaurants, great entertainment - I too miss great pizza, bagels, Chinese food, etc. - I miss the lakes, the state parks, campgrounds, waterfalls, the skiing, the picnic spots, mountains, the beaches, NYC!

The culture - I think this encompasses all of the above.

Life elsewhere seems a bit bland to me and yet I had to leave, for financial reasons. Now that I've built a secure life, I sometimes think about buying a small summer home somewhere upstate. I look at taxes and wonder about that.

Who knows what the future will hold.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:48 PM

672 posts, read 906,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
How many of you have moved away from New York, for what ever reason, miss it now? I lived in WNY and moved to Maryland I never thought I would be home sick to this extent, but I desperately miss home. Am I the only one?
I think it depends on the reason that you moved. Was it because you truly wanted to and really liked the new place BEFORE you moved? Or did you moved because you felt you had to, either because of finances, etc.

I lived in Central Florida for about six months when I was in my 20s. A friend talked me into it and I absolutely hated it. I moved back around Christmas time. I can remember being on the Greyhound bus and people started cheering when the driver announced the Manhattan skyline was in view.

I grew up in Manhattan and spent 20 years raising my kids on LI. My husband lost his job, got a job in Florida, and has been there for 3 years. I was supposed to stay here in NY until our daughter gradurates college. She is now in May so now I HAVE to go back to Florida. The only light at the end of this tunnel is that my husband is not terribly happy with Florida. He went to see a former coworker in Henderson, Nevada and is talking about moving there when he retires in about 5 years. My daughter also wants to move to Nevada in a few years, so we could all be together. I am open to anywhere except Florida. Been there, done that, hated it.

Besides all the reasons given about loving NY, I can add another one. I am very politically involved (liberal). I am going to have to keep my mouth shut in the South, a lot, I think. Hard to do.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:53 PM

14 posts, read 83,342 times
Just one more thought on all of this...I'm gathering that the reason most people leave NY is for a more favorable ratio of income/living expenses.

For those who need better job opportunities, that probably means leaving upstate NY.

For those who need a more reasonable cost of living, that probably means leaving metro NY.

I can relate to both of those situations and found a better solution elsewhere (Northern VA), but that doesn't mean I didn't also have to give up a lot of other things in the process.

But such is life? Learning to live and work the hand you're dealt.

BF

Old 04-08-2007, 04:11 PM

55 posts, read 345,400 times
Unhappy Missing New York

Since I was born in Brooklyn raised on Long Island went upstate for 2 years then back to the Island,and worked for awhile in the city, you could say I also am from "all" of New York Almost everyday since my x husband was transferred from NY and we had to leave I have missed it. I miss the spring and the flowers popping up out of the ground, I miss the fall and changing of the leaves, making a snowman in the winter and going to Jones Beach in the summer.

But most of all I miss the people, no one can say to me a New Yorker is rude!! The friendlist and most helpful of people are those who live in NY or came from NY. I met a woman the other day who I helped get her groceries in the car and we started kidding around about something; and she says you have to be from NY .. how can you tell I asked here... because you came right over and helped me and didn't know me and your sense of humor... only a NewYorker jokes around with a stranger Boy she make me think of how right that is; here in Florida people are down right nasty, and unfriendly, not all but the majority; at least in S Florida. We found it out to be that N Florida has much nicer and friendlier people. Guess will move up north

I work with a fellow New Yorker and we reminise all the time about the stores, the hotdogs under the umbrella, taking drives out to Montauk Point and stopping at a restaurant on the ocean for some fresh clams I have to stop I am getting so homesick again

Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
Honey,

If you disliked Florida, you'll absolutely HATE Nevada. There is nothing there except lots of tourists gambling who cannot afford to do so. You're basically living in a sandbox where there will be no fresh water within 10 years. Please reconsider this move. It is suicide. [/i]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I think it depends on the reason that you moved. Was it because you truly wanted to and really liked the new place BEFORE you moved? Or did you moved because you felt you had to, either because of finances, etc.

I lived in Central Florida for about six months when I was in my 20s. A friend talked me into it and I absolutely hated it. I moved back around Christmas time. I can remember being on the Greyhound bus and people started cheering when the driver announced the Manhattan skyline was in view.

I grew up in Manhattan and spent 20 years raising my kids on LI. My husband lost his job, got a job in Florida, and has been there for 3 years. I was supposed to stay here in NY until our daughter gradurates college. She is now in May so now I HAVE to go back to Florida. The only light at the end of this tunnel is that my husband is not terribly happy with Florida. He went to see a former coworker in Henderson, Nevada and is talking about moving there when he retires in about 5 years. My daughter also wants to move to Nevada in a few years, so we could all be together. I am open to anywhere except Florida. Been there, done that, hated it.

Besides all the reasons given about loving NY, I can add another one. I am very politically involved (liberal). I am going to have to keep my mouth shut in the South, a lot, I think. Hard to do.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:41 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Honey,

If you disliked Florida, you'll absolutely HATE Nevada. There is nothing there except lots of tourists gambling who cannot afford to do so. You're basically living in a sandbox where there will be no fresh water within 10 years. Please reconsider this move. It is suicide. [/i]
Agreed. I live in Los Angeles and there is NO GREENERY ANYWHERE. It's a freakin' desert, but nowhere near as sandy and horrible as Nevada. If for some horrible reason I ever have to choose between living in "den of sin" Nevada or "humid as hell w/flying cockroaches" Florida - it'll have to be Florida. I never realized how much I missed greenery until I moved to LA. Plus humidity will keep me looking young.

Luckily, America's a big place, so I'll never have to choose between the two.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Hi, it's Hockeymom72's daughter...I didn't see all that many similarities between Florida and Nevada. I went there last August where it reached 120 degrees and it certainly felt different than the heat in Florida (It actually felt a lot better than 90 humid degrees in NY). Completely different look than Florida, among other things...?

Old 04-09-2007, 04:26 PM

32 posts, read 89,019 times
I've been in NYC and Boston for the last 11 years, and we've been contemplating that move to the warm, less expensive areas with this romantic vision of simplicity and qualtity of life. The more I read on these forums (which are fantastic), the more freaked out I get about the idea of leaving, especially when all those things people say they would miss sound like the very things we would miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York