Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:13 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Remember the girl scout motto? *grin*
I don't remember the motto, but I remember the song.

Make new friends, but keep the old
One is silver and the other gold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 04:53 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
My childhood consisted of me moving all over the place. I might make a few friends, then move, and so on. It was only in middle school that I stayed in a place long enough to make friends for the longhaul. Strangely enough, I made alot of enemies. I had my friends at school, but outside of school, I had my own life for the most part. I still remember a few I was the closest to. I remember one person I was kind of close to, but she had her own friends and her own things. I was naturally a loner. We ended up going to different high schools because of districting. Today she lives in another state and we seldom talk to one another. She has her life and I have my life. She is in another state far away, with a new set of friends. If I saw her today, I would be happy to see her, but I don't know what I would do after that, considering nearly a decade of not seeing her.

I have a friend from elementary school. I particularly liked hanging around him. We identified with being the "different" ones. He was an immigrant from Poland. I was kind of a nerdy type. After 5th grade I moved and never saw him again. When I was a freshman in college, I found him, and it was like we were never apart. He has graduated, but we still talk sometimes(when I have cellphone minutes). We might not hear from each other for months and still we can talk to each other.

Alot of people I knew from my youth, well, I don't know what I would do at this moment. I'm 24 going on 25. Alot of people I know are starting families and have their own lives. I'm still single and have never been in a romantic relationship. Apart from a few drinks, not much else. Found alot of people through facebook. I have learned that most of them have their own friends and their own lives. My experiences in college have meant that many friends have come and gone and a few I still have contact with. A few I am trying to re-establish contact with.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:29 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,207 times
Most of my early friends grew up in the same neighborhood and we went to the same schools. Then it seems most everyone pretty much went their seperate ways after high school and got new friends they met in college and elsewhere. I have stayed in close contact with only one friend who I met in middle school 17 years ago. I am facebook friends with other old friends, and we may meet up once in a blue moon just to catch up, but it never seems to go beyond this like it was in the "good ol' days" when we were all a lot closer to each other.

My best friend from when I was a kid was a clever and smart areligious person. When he went off to college he ended up being roommates with a Christian fundamentalist and he converted himself. Now he often posts Bible quotes and Jesus this or that on his facebook page. I have seen him once in the past five years. My other current friends are all people I have met within the past ten years from college on up. I do miss and sometimes reminisce my childhood and teen years when it seemed I was a lot less lonely. Now those are just distant memories.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
My lifelong friends are still my friends to this day. We all came up together on the same side of town, half of which lived in my old neighborhood, we went to the same schools and college. We reminisce about our days growing up together; what spots we used to frequent, etc.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I grew up in small town, and we obviously went to the same high school (there was only one). I didn't go to the same college as anybody, I went far out of state. I came back and worked in the hometown when I was in my twenties, but have sinced moved away, again. I have friends from childhood that I've always kept in touch with, some where it lapsed and was rekindled after years, and some where we've drifted. Of the people I still talk to, I like that they're from a part of my life where I don't have to get them up to speed on my past, my background...they just know. They're good friend.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
How many of you are still close to childhood or high school friends?

For me, there's only one guy from childhood that I'm still close to, but he lives far away from me and we only meet once or twice a year.

I have lost all touch with everybody I knew as a teenager, except for one guy whom I was very close to during high school (he studied at another school). We went back and forth after high school, and now we've drifted apart. We still live in the same metropolitan area, and are on cordial terms, but we never meet and have completely different social circles.

And the one guy I call my best friend right now, I met him in college. He's the only friend from college with whom I am still a good friends with - the only one I am friend with at all.

What's it been like for you as you got older?
Same deal here, as what you had mentioned in the bolded/italics portion above. Course, things mighta been different and might have kept more childhood friends longer, if facebook had actually been around, back then...idk though...

Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrZwy...eature=related

Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Most of my friends and acquaintances are from graduate school and working. My closest friend - who knows me better than my spouse - I have known since I was 8 years old - time and distance will never separate us.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I remember this song from 2000. This was the year I finished middle school. It is strange to hear of this song NOW, rather than back then. Back then it was 2000, the big year. Alot of people I knew from middle school, I wouldn't see them again for a long time. The song takes on a bit of a somber tone with me, mainly because it around the time my own civility was going away. I went to one high school, while some of the people I felt the closest to(at the time I did) went to another high school and I wouldn't see them again for a while. I think that is what happened. Graduation, and then the loneliness kicks in because things are moving on. People you know from that time you might never hear from them ever again. The line "friends forever", well, sometimes I wonder how true that really is.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,207 times
Sounds like some folks are linking up with old friends after many years and it's like no time had ever passed. Unfortunately the last times I met with a few old friends over lunch the whole encounter had an air of awkwardness to it. First thing we would catch up on our lives of course, but the rest of the time it felt like we had to be on our toes just to think of things to talk about. And these were people I was close to as a kid and teen. The friendship just didn't feel like the way it used to. Probably explains why I haven't seen them since, since people are just inclined to avoid awkward social situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships