Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Deaf-blind. Yes, there are doorbells that flash lights. For the deaf-blind there's a device called an AlertMaster that vibrates when the phone rings or the doorbell rings. I tried emailing Deaf/blind services 3 times to get in touch but heard nothing from them. Anyway I'm moving soon but when we move I'm going to make sure to get an AlertMaster! Though I will still prefer to have my friends show up on time!

Yes, but I have no way to check it. They're working on a braille phone at the moment though, so hopefully sometime soon!
That's interesting. Are you legally blind, so you can see a little? How are you communicating here? The only thing I can think of is a sort of mores code set to vibrations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I'm frequently late. I hate it...but I've always been one to run late for most things. I'm a night owl and hate to go to bed and hate to get up. I'm usually trying to do way too many things and that gets me every time. I do get to things that I have to (movies, concerts, airports, etc.) so it's not like I'm incapable. I just suck at it.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
I'm generally tolerant to a fault of people's bad habits, but being late is the one that I cannot stand.

"Oh, I was running late today...". Then why didn't you get up earlier?

"I ran into heavy traffic...". You know you're driving in rush hour - leave extra time.

"I got caught up in something and lost track of time...". Just shows how important your meeting with ME is, huh? You don't know how to tell time?

Try scheduling a few less things in your daily schedule, and don't try to give me that BS about how complicated and busy your life is. YOU made it that way - I shouldn't have to pay the penalty for YOUR choices.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
THis is a new year resolution of mine. I HATE being late. Unfortunately, something always prevents me from being early. This year I want to stop that because I hate having friends waiting. At least, unlike some people, I'll call in advance and let them know or tell them if I have a prediction something is going to keep me waiting.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 PM

736 posts, read 1,695,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I'm generally tolerant to a fault of people's bad habits, but being late is the one that I cannot stand.

"Oh, I was running late today...". Then why didn't you get up earlier?

"I ran into heavy traffic...". You know you're driving in rush hour - leave extra time.

"I got caught up in something and lost track of time...". Just shows how important your meeting with ME is, huh? You don't know how to tell time?

Try scheduling a few less things in your daily schedule, and don't try to give me that BS about how complicated and busy your life is. YOU made it that way - I shouldn't have to pay the penalty for YOUR choices.
I take it you've never struggled with (or known anyone who has) clinical depression. Getting out of bed, getting ready for the day, can rank up there with getting a root canal.

It's not always "I'm selfish, I'm arrogant, I don't value anyone else's time". You never know what might be going on in someone else's life. And no, it's not always that simple to just "push things aside".

Old 01-11-2011, 09:22 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
I take it you've never struggled with (or known anyone who has) clinical depression. Getting out of bed, getting ready for the day, can rank up there with getting a root canal.

It's not always "I'm selfish, I'm arrogant, I don't value anyone else's time". You never know what might be going on in someone else's life. And no, it's not always that simple to just "push things aside".
I have a long history of depression and I still am a punctual person by nature. I think it has more to do with personality than anything else.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:30 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I have a friend that is chronically late for everything but work. We used to work together years ago and she was always the first person in the office. We became friend outside of work and she was always late. It drove me crazy. I am not talking about 15 min. or even 30. She would be late beyond that. One time she was supposed to stop by and I waited for hours. She had a ton of excuses. It got to the point where when she suggested we get together I said I was busy. We are now email/phone friends only. I get Christmas cards from her every year and they always arrive the day after Christmas.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:42 PM

736 posts, read 1,695,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I have a long history of depression and I still am a punctual person by nature. I think it has more to do with personality than anything else.
Well then, I'm sure you're familiar with side effects etc. of different medications and finding the right medication and dosage is more or less trial-and-error. If you're on too much of something you can fall asleep easily, or not fall asleep at all. It can be difficult to follow a sleep schedule, which might cause you to be late for things.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Well then, I'm sure you're familiar with side effects etc. of different medications and finding the right medication and dosage is more or less trial-and-error. If you're on too much of something you can fall asleep easily, or not fall asleep at all. It can be difficult to follow a sleep schedule, which might cause you to be late for things.
Yes I am. But I also didn't plan meet-ups with anyone during my more severe episodes or when I was experiencing side effects from medication cause I had zero interest in being social or doing anything, even moving. Honestly I just stayed in bed/on the couch 23 hours a day.

I didn't have anyone to meet or anywhere to go. The only place I did have to go was school, and I was always anywhere from 45 minutes early to 10 minutes early. I was only late a handful of times in my entire high school career, and it was always something completely unexpected. For example, once, there was a fire on the route to school and the police wouldn't let me go that way so I had to walk and take a major detour. Another time, several trees had fallen the night before from strong winds. During two years of my high school, I was getting on average 3 hours of sleep a night. I still got to school on time. I can't guarantee that I was very alert at school, but I was there.

I understand what you're saying about not assuming people's life situations and I agree. But that's why I just say people need to learn to allow themselves more time. Sometimes it would take me 45 minutes to get ready cause I would drag because I so didn't want to have to get up and go, so I would wake up earlier so I could take my time. Unexpected things may pop up at times, but it's obvious that if you're always late, maybe it's just your fault. I know that especially during worse episodes of depression, it's easy to blame the world for everything, but at some point we have to just realize that we do have at least some control over our lives. Being on time is a small-scale example of that.

I don't mean to reprimand people for being late. I'm just saying I prefer punctuality, appreciate when others are punctual, and think it has more to do with personality than anything else.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:49 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
I'm regualry 10 min late. I'm disorganized and I'm too optomistic about how long it takes me to get myself ready and things gathered to get out the door. I find that I can be on time if I overcompensate for my inefficiency. I find that people are so flakey in general that me showing up 10 min late and texting or calling to say I have left late puts me in the reliable category compared to the average person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships