Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 01:16 PM

924 posts, read 752,019 times

Advertisements

For years, I had severe psoriasis on my hands, and it was quite annoying when strangers would come up to me and ask "What's wrong with your hands?".....usually followed by "Does it hurt?", or "Have you tried XYZ lotion?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 01:40 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Never personal questions, but I have also asked someone with a cute haircut who did it, and I have also told a stranger that I liked something she was wearing.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:27 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Got talking to one of the tallest men I've ever spoken to not long ago. Didn't stop him to ask him, started talking to him about something else and during the conversation asked him how tall he was. 7 foot 2.....not often I talk to people taller than myself let alone that much taller. Could tell he is asked it all the time, he told me his height briefly, then continued talking about what we were talking about.
I think I did that once offline, many years ago. One way or another, his height quickly came up. Tallest person I've ever talked to, who had just been in a classroom with me. I don't remember any other occasions where I made a first conversation mainly to ask about someone's appearance.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:53 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but I'm still taken aback when someone approaches me to comment on or ask me about my height, which is then usually followed with an interrogation regarding my life.

Do shorter folks deal with this too?

Have you ever stopped someone to ask them a question regarding their physical appearance, such as "How tall are you?" "How much do you weigh?" "Are those real?"

I guess I just have trouble comprehending the compulsion to ask such questions. Can't people guess?
I find the height and weight questions creepy, but people have asked me what I do to keep in shape and that doesn't bother me.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:52 PM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but I'm still taken aback when someone approaches me to comment on or ask me about my height, which is then usually followed with an interrogation regarding my life.

Have you ever stopped someone to ask them a question regarding their physical appearance, such as "How tall are you?" "How much do you weigh?" "Are those real?"

I guess I just have trouble comprehending the compulsion to ask such questions. Can't people guess?
Yes, but not the way you've described.

Once or twice I've asked women with nice cuts where they had their hair done, so I could give that salon a try. Or I'm standing on a checkout line and someone's wearing a particularly striking coat or bag and I compliment it.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:29 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
No, never. I might complement someone about their hair but that's it.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:57 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I'm 5'11" (at least I used to be). Once time a short male coworker noticed I was wearing 2" heels, and he started going off that tall girls shouldn't wear heels. He was actually a nice guy and didn't mean anything by it, so I let him rattle on a while, then told him, "Barry, it's not that I'm tall. You're short." He didn't bring it up again.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:34 AM

922 posts, read 791,884 times
I have often commented on someone's shirt or handbag that I liked, but never commented on anyone's physical appearance except maybe a nice haircut.

I have, however, had comments about my own appearance. I have been rather "blessed" in the boob department, and I am overweight.

Once when I was much younger I was walking down the street in a halter top and some guy hollered out of his car window "You're gonna give somebody a heart attack!" At a New Years Eve party I was wearing a dress that was fairly revealing. I was sitting there minding my own business, when a guy stumbled up to me in a drunken stupor and announced that I had the best boobs he had ever seen.

Several times I have had people ask me "When are you due?" and I wasn't pregnant. I thought this was very rude.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:45 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Some people are really weird. Their idea of personal boundaries is not the same as the rest of us.
Many years ago, when I was young, I was shopping in an upscale department store. A very distinguished looking well-dressed older man walked by and complimented me on the outfit I was wearing. I thanked him, then he added nonchalantly "My wife has nice nipples too", as he walked away.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:

No. I have literally never stopped anyone to ask them a question about their physical appearance. It's beyond rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships