Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:20 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times

Advertisements

You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but I'm still taken aback when someone approaches me to comment on or ask me about my height, which is then usually followed with an interrogation regarding my life.

Do shorter folks deal with this too?

Have you ever stopped someone to ask them a question regarding their physical appearance, such as "How tall are you?" "How much do you weigh?" "Are those real?"

I guess I just have trouble comprehending the compulsion to ask such questions. Can't people guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 04:23 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but I'm still taken aback when someone approaches me to comment on or ask me about my height, which is then usually followed with an interrogation regarding my life.

Have you ever stopped someone to ask them a question regarding their physical appearance, such as "How tall are you?" "How much do you weigh?" "Are those real?"

I guess I just have trouble comprehending the compulsion to ask such questions. Can't people guess?

When it happens to me I take it as a compliment.

When I do it to someone else I mean it as a compliment

Old 03-15-2011, 04:24 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,401 times
Quote:

I have other men and women ask me all the time how I got a grip like that? I always give a firm handshake. I also get asked about my pearly white teeth and straightness. Sometimes about my build or eyes.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Sometimes I ask if some beautiful curls are a result of a perm by any chance (if I'm not absolutely positive they're natural), intending to inquire about where they're done. Unfortunately, they're always a product of Mother Nature!

Old 03-15-2011, 05:02 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
I've never done it, but yesterday a guy came up to me at the store and asked ME a question about my appearance.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:05 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Quote:

How tall are you?

And, how much do you weigh?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:22 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
People often come up to me and ask me if I'm Korean... to which I answer no... followed by, "oh Koreans are usually tall" (yea right... so they saw Michelle Wie and assume that of all Koreans). Or they just ask my height and weight, but they usually say something like, "Oh, what are you, about 100 pounds?"

Usually I don't mind though... it's better than if somebody says something disparaging like why do All Asians talk like "Ching chong ching chong ching"

Once some guy that was going the opposite direction on a staircase just stopped, stared at my chest and his eyes went really wide, and all he could say was "WHOOOA"... I wonder what the heck that was about. Weird cuz I don't have a huge enough chest for that kind of behavior. Maybe he had too much beer. People can be weird.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:26 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,515 times
No, I find it rather rude to point out the obvious. If it's a compliment, fine, but things like height, weight, etc.? Not polite.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sometimes I ask if some beautiful curls are a result of a perm by any chance (if I'm not absolutely positive they're natural), intending to inquire about where they're done. Unfortunately, they're always a product of Mother Nature!
Are you a guy?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
About 30 years ago I was getting dressed after working out and showering at a gym. There was a gal in the dressing room who had the most perfect breasts I had ever seen. I said to her, "Please don't misunderstand this but you have the most beautiful breasts I've ever seen. I wish mine looked like yours." She was flattered and said, "Thanks. They're implants." Remember, this was 30 years ago, long before women were commonly getting breast implants. They looked totally natural and were a perfect size for her overall build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships