Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:34 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, yes, it's men. And that just reminded me. I commute by train to the city, so I usually wear sneakers or other comfy shoes to deal with all the walking. It's always MEN who look at me, then look at my feet, I'm guessing to see if I have high heels on, then look back up at me with a surprised expression. This happens ALL the time. Sometimes if I'm feeling particularly bitchy that day I'll say, "yes, this IS how tall I am..." and just keep walking.
Even if I'm in a bad mood, I rarely let others know. I see people looking at my feet, but I never acknowledge it. The only time I get annoyed is when a group of men or women are clearly talking about me (pointing, standing on their tippy-toes) or trying to be discrete in taking photos of me or me with my "shorter" husband. The photos **** me off. But again, I'd never say anything, I just play it cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And the funniest thing is when men ask for my exact height, and then they say, "Oh, you must be taller than that because I'M six feet tall." I am looking at the top of their head, so I am well aware that they are 5'8" or so and lying about their height. I used to wonder why the heck they would lie like that when the lie is so obvious...and then I realized they are lying to themselves.
LOL!!! I know! I'm always tempted to say "You're on crack if you think you're 5'10"!!!!" or whatever height they may think they are, but I never want to insult them so I just say with a smile, "Yeah, I'm only 6'1"."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 02:37 PM

817 posts, read 811,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Even if I'm in a bad mood, I rarely let others know. I see people looking at my feet, but I never acknowledge it. The only time I get annoyed is when a group of men or women are clearly talking about me (pointing, standing on their tippy-toes) or trying to be discrete in taking photos of me or me with my "shorter" husband. The photos **** me off. But again, I'd never say anything, I just play it cool.

LOL!!! I know! I'm always tempted to say "You're on crack if you think you're 5'10"!!!!" or whatever height they may think they are, but I never want to insult them so I just say with a smile, "Yeah, I'm only 6'1"."
Do they approach you to take those photos, or do they just take them discreetly? And yes, i agree most men exaggerate their heights, often by 2", even the very tall ones, I knew a 6'3" who used to claim he was a 6'5"

Old 03-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter18 View Post
I agree, it would be very annoying, I do take a look at the feet of a really tall woman to see if she's wearing any heels, but I do it very sneakily, without her noticing it or feeling conscious about it.
You think we don't notice...but we do.

My husband seems to think that when people talk about me when we're out, they think they're being discrete, but because I've dealt with this stuff for so long, I'm almost hyper sensitive to it. I even check with my husband to make sure that I'm not being paranoid! But he usually confirms it with "No, they're talking about you." And my husband would tell me if I was being nutty.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
You think we don't notice...but we do.

My husband seems to think that when people talk about me when we're out, they think they're being discrete, but because I've dealt with this stuff for so long, I'm almost hyper sensitive to it. I even check with my husband to make sure that I'm not being paranoid! But he usually confirms it with "No, they're talking about you." And my husband would tell me if I was being nutty.
Okay, well I still don't think they would notice when I do it, I don't like making people very conscious about how they are, because they can't help it for one thing. Anyway, don't think I am being offensive here, but how tall is your husband?

Old 03-18-2011, 02:51 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
IW, why do you wanna make us shorties feel so tiny

Old 03-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
How short are you?

Old 03-18-2011, 02:59 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
How short are you?
About 3 to 4 inches

Old 03-18-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
About 3 to 4 inches
5'9"-5'10", okay that's really not short, that's a normal, average height, what about the poor folks that are 5'5"-5'6" or even lesser, not many takers for them in the dating world, tall women don't go for them, the short ones don't either.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Do they approach you to take those photos, or do they just take them discreetly? And yes, i agree most men exaggerate their heights, often by 2", even the very tall ones, I knew a 6'3" who used to claim he was a 6'5"
I've been approached before, but just last month it was a group of girls snapping away thinking we didn't notice. I was tempted to shove the camera down one of their throats, but they were loaded so it wasn't worth a dispute (besides, they were kind of a homely bunch...there was a reason why there were no men with them or approaching them. I had men coming up to me as soon as my husband left for the men's room. )

Quote:
Okay, well I still don't think they would notice when I do it, I don't like making people very conscious about how they are, because they can't help it for one thing. Anyway, don't think I am being offensive here, but how tall is your husband?
You're not offensive in any way, especially considering I just put it all out there. I put shorter in quotes because at 5'10", I don't consider my husband short by any means, BUT when I'm in 4-5" heels, the height difference is pretty noticeable.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Hey, not my fault you got the short end of the stick when it comes to genetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships