Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
I don't mean to stereotype, but I'll be hanging out at this social hobby gaming store for the next 2 nights as a beginner to the types of board games they play there like Dungeons & Dragons, Magic, Minecraft, etc. I'm kind of back at square one with no friends after the year and a half vocational course I took, but I learned from my mistakes about what I should and shouldn't do socially.

If I get along with the guys that hang out there and we become friends and get to hang out with each other somewhere else, do you think they have other interests besides games, like sports, movies, partying, etc.? I don't want to suddenly convert into living a "nerd" lifestyle and be hanging out with these people who only like gaming.

Again, I don't mean to stereotype and describe what is real from what I've seen on TV and in movies about what nerds are really like. But I hope you guys know what I mean.
Maybe you'll like being a 'nerd' When I moved in with my fiance, he was reluctant, because I love tv & he loves video games. I guess he thought he wouldn't be 'allowed' to play? Like I cared. Anyway, a few years ago he told me he thought I might like World of Warcraft. I freaking loved it. Then he made me get the Star Wars video game a year and a half ago, and I was nervous about joining his online guild and having to talk to these guys (just because I'm shy at first). Once again, I love it...I love the games (I then played Diablo, Guild Wars, and still currently play BLOPS). I also love the guild members...I'm the only woman (others have come & gone) but I feel like the guys are so much fun to talk to. Some of them are nerds...their entire lives surround gaming, they may never find a girlfriend...others are married with kids, and some like to party. A lot of us get drunk & play on Friday/Saturday nights. I guess it depends on who you find to hang out with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
There are some who only will like gaming and gaming lifestyle.

But there are others who have varied interests. I play WoW a few hours a night 3-4 nights a week once the kids are asleep and if I feel like playing. Its a fun game and a nice diversion, and my DH and I will sometimes play together. We also bike, hike and ski.

I don't know that I would go hang out at a gaming/hobby store because I am just not that into it. (Ok, I do know, I would not go to something like that) But not everyone who goes to something like that will be hardcore into it, I would assume.

Just use it as a place to start to get to know some others. They may surprise you, but they may also fit that gamer stereotype.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
...nerdy things like necroposting in a 2-year dead thread?

Old 05-26-2013, 07:39 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Yes, regular people also like nerdy things. In fact people are getting nerdier these days with all these gadgets and gizmos.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
How can we even talk about nerdy when practically everyone has an iphone, ipad, blah blah blah...?
You don't think staring at a little screen makes you nerdy?

Op, that is a lot of stereotyping and lots of people game on Tuesday and then play rugby on Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships