Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
That's probably the biggest thing that makes it hard for me to quit, the social aspect.
Of course. That's because we ARE the coolest cats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
I smoked for four lustrum. The day will come, when you will regret ever starting to smoke. My beloved Barb smoked. She passed on from lung & brain cancer at 46.

I feel you would make some friends in a flyfishing (or spinning, baitcasting) club, or bowling league. I made friends in Tech college in Mill & Cabinet, & Carpentry classes.

Best of Luck to you, Bro.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
So yeah, how do you make friends? I never got the instruction manual for it, yet everybody else has.
i've moved to new cities a few times, and started over. you definitely need to talk to people. i don't know if that's obvious.

then you need to 'bring something to the table'. be funny, maybe, or be capable of planning really fun things for people to do.

people are social animals, they see you have cool friends and they assume you are cool too, so you build momentum this way.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,942 times
For me, it just takes some time and effort. I found it much more difficult to make friends after college/grad school. I think joining clubs is a great idea. I did and it allowed me to make a lot of acquaintances. Most of them ended up just being acquaintances, but after a few months a couple became my friends. Just say yes to hanging out, even when it's something you're not interested in (i know it sounds sucky, but sometimes it works out. It's how I came to discover that I really like the opera!). If no one asks you to do something outside of the club activities, ask them and it will open the door. Best wishes!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:52 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
At gunpoint.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:21 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
i can do the early start of a friendship, but most fizzle, because i am just not motivate to get to know someone but once i am friends with someone for a few months, it's easier to maintain. the early friendships just burn me out. i find people invade my space it's hard to find the right amount of distance and still have a friendship. some friends i don't see or speak to for a few months but if you do that with new friends they forget about you

one recent example is this guy who talks way to much i fear answering the phone, because he makes a 5 min convo go on for 20 min. he stopped by for something that should have take 30 min and he talked so much it took 2 hours. he wanted to meet with me this week to get my opinion on something he was working on. i just had to blow it off because it's going to take too long it's like he says something 10 times in 10 different ways a i'm thinking, shut up!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:32 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
i wonder too, and people say there is never an excuse that should prevent you from making friends or getting a relationship, even if you are autistic

Old 09-14-2011, 06:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
my classmates become my friends.
but only since i retired.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:43 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,471 times
Talk to people. Let the friendship grow naturally. There are some people we meet randomly that we want to send an email to every now and then OR there are those we want to talk to all the time. My advice - don't force it but reach out to other people and see what you get back.

I am learning/ Have learned there are layers to friendship. Not everyone is your best friend and not everyone needs to know everything about you. Trust is something that earned over time.
It's harder to make friends as adults as people have marriages/kids/agenda's and a host of other things we might not be aware of when we extend the olive branch of friendship....that's why I say know who deserves what.

You are lucky if you have a few good friends in this lifetime.

Hope this helps. Most importantly .....be yourself

Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
well despite this thread being revived by a spambot it's nice to see it again

We got like 29 people to sign up for the mailing list for the club I'm an executive member of. Hopefully at least a few will show up to meetings and maybe some will become friends, although I fear we'll have too much of a "business" relationship despite being a pretty laid-back informal organization.

I've also decided to rush a professional fraternity, we'll see how that goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships