Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This is the most sensible answer. I don't have a social life and I'm fine with that but I certainly don't knock those who do.
This is my feeling about friends. I never had "close" friends and never missed having them.
Now, my casual friends, and there were many, are either dead, in nursing homes or so fragile that they really don't have a life. But I still enjoy the things that I have always enjoyed.....alone!

So while friends are nice, you need to learn to be friends with your self FIRST. Enjoy being alone with just YOU for company. You may be one of those, such as me, that finds circumstances have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
yes it is a waste of time. i'm not knocking people that have a social life, i'm knocking the way people socialize and all the crap they put others through in order to see if they qualify as 'socially acceptable.' it's nothing but a joke.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:48 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,182 times
Nothing good ever comes from letting people get too close. I am fond of some people, of course, but I always keep them away at a safe distance and never let them see my true self.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
All of those are worthy things but I think we need friends too. Besides, who are you going to use your new language skills on? Who are you going to play the instrument for? Who are you going to discuss the ideas from your books with? What's the point of any of those things without people to bounce ideas off of? I personally could not be out socializing all the time--I'm actually an introvert and often can't wait to get home to my book but I'm much happier overall when my social life is going well--I get depressed when it's not.
I guess I wasn't really talking about socializing that is incidental to doing all these things.

Rather, I meant socializing for the sake of socializing, with no other ulterior motive.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:43 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
All of those are worthy things but I think we need friends too. Besides, who are you going to use your new language skills on? Who are you going to play the instrument for? Who are you going to discuss the ideas from your books with? What's the point of any of those things without people to bounce ideas off of? I personally could not be out socializing all the time--I'm actually an introvert and often can't wait to get home to my book but I'm much happier overall when my social life is going well--I get depressed when it's not.

You play an instrument for your own enjoyment FIRST. To entertain others is just a side line. The same thing is true of language skills, ideas, etc. It's for your own pleasure.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:36 PM

309 posts, read 516,071 times
It's a waste of time when you find out later that those who got close to you have some ulterior motives.

It's time well spent if you simply enjoy each other's companies just because. Even if it's only chance meeting of strangers, the genuine heartwarming talks trump the so called social relationships which are often calculated with hidden agenda.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:14 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,907 times
I just realized that this was about making friends which is different from successfully having friends.

I have friends and they are worth the time spent with them. Anybody I consider a friend is worth the time spent with them.

Other people try to form a stronger connection with me but our manners, culture and philosophies are too different. I certainly keep them at a distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
It's a waste of time when you find out later that those who got close to you have some ulterior motives.

It's time well spent if you simply enjoy each other's companies just because. Even if it's only chance meeting of strangers, the genuine heartwarming talks trump the so called social relationships which are often calculated with hidden agenda.
Yes. This is why when making friends I always make sure my interests are covered. People in it for themselves eventually move on to other people. However, time will be spent on them.

This is why I can't really call myself a "nice" person. I have to say "no" to these people and some of them can be quite insistent.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:24 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,699 times
No, it's not a waste of time. I think socializing and making friends improves your IQ and you are always learning new things from other people. When you isolate yourself from the world it makes you weird and your social IQ starts to drop

Old 07-01-2012, 05:50 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,619 times
It is certainly a waste of time if you make the wrong friends. Those who include you in their click because misery loves company.

Making friends who challenge you, enlighten you, lift you up, and appreciate you giving back in kind is the most valuable thing you can do in your life.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:54 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
It is certainly a waste of time if you make the wrong friends. Those who include you in their click because misery loves company.

Making friends who challenge you, enlighten you, lift you up, and appreciate you giving back in kind is the most valuable thing you can do in your life.
I do totally agree with this--I pretty much avoid those who don't lift me up or at least entertain me in some way--I'm not mean to people but I just don't spend any time with those who don't love me. Life is too short and I'd rather read a book.

I have been thinking more about this thread though and I'd like to tell you about my mother. I believe that she thought that any activity which didn't produce a durable and tangible object was a waste of time. She almost always spent her time making things like quilts and clothes and other craft projects but she considered cooking a total waste of time and she really didn't waste a lot of time talking to us either. She traveled but if she couldn't bring home souvenirs and pictures I don't think she would have "wasted" time on that either. As a child my health was very poor b/c mom didn't cook, couldn't cook really, and things only improved when dad took over. Anyway, now I have over 60 quilts in my basement that mom made and not sure what I"m going to do with all those. I would have rather had her love and my health than 55 more quilts than I can use. Oh yeah, and that's not to mention all the time we spent disposing of all the tangible and durable objects that she had accumulated. It was sad really b/c there were really nice things hidden in closets everywhere that had probably not seen the light of day since the day she brought it home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships