Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:12 AM

559 posts, read 1,396,183 times

Advertisements

If you're truly not interested in making friends or spending time with friends that's fine. If you genuinely don't want friends that's ok.

For some people it would be fun to do some of the things you mentioned with a friend, like visiting a new country or checking out art to add to your collection. If you have your own business you might like being friends with other entrepreneurs. Friends - true, genuine friends - are great for support, caring and understanding.

But you can do all of those things without friends and still enjoy the experiences.

If you feel like you don't have time, then you need friends who understand that you can't call them every day or see them every week, but maybe you can talk or get together once a month. Or every other month, or whenever you have time.

If time is an issue you'll need friends who understand that maybe you can't spend an hour talking on the phone but you can spend 20 minutes. Or you can't spend an entire Saturday with them, but you can spend some time having a meal or just coffee, going for a walk, playing golf, going shopping, going to a baseball game, or whatever you want to do.

You don't even have to go anywhere - your friend(s) can come to your place and you can have lunch or dinner, watch a DVD, play basketball in your driveway, play pool if you have a pool table, or whatever you would enjoy. You don't even have to do any of that at all - you can just sit and talk for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 12:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,221,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Everyone needs some social interaction or they will be to much in their own head and become unbalanced and weird, even if they don't think they are. I've always been a bit of a loner, meaning I need more alone time than most, but even I recognize the benefits of socialization.
Some people like being unbalanced and weird. I find socializing way too stressful.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:37 PM

27,644 posts, read 28,745,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Some people like being unbalanced and weird. I find socializing way too stressful.
I just like to be the center of attention wherever I go. That's my issue with socializing in large groups.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:51 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,331,495 times
Quote:
So, do you think that having friends and developing a social circle is worth more than these things?
The word friend is one of the most over used words in the English language today. Very few people that we meet in life are truly deserving of the title "friend". Find the few who are and cherish them, as they are just as important to your life as any of the other things you mentioned. The rest are all just people you know.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:05 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,428,441 times
Life is a balance, if you have good friends, you make some time for them while you make some time for yourself and or your hobbies. Overall, I prefer more alone time, but sometimes I rather be social, depends on my mood and when my friends are available.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:40 AM

404 posts, read 1,148,743 times
I am an introvert but I am trying to be more social because I realize the importance of socializing and getting along with people. Being social is more than just going out with friends, partying, and wasting money on bar tabs. Socializing also affects your career as well. If you work a job, you most likely have a department and a boss which makes you part of a team, working well together as a team and getting along with your co-workers can lead to a promotion.

In my last job I was the "quiet guy" in the office. I did my work, did a good job, and left the office unnoticed. I didn't really talk to many people in office. About a year into my job a girl started below me, she quickly got along with everybody, and within a few months surpassed me. I still knew more than her and was capable of handling more BUT everybody in the office enjoyed her presence. She took over my office and I was moved into the smaller less visited office.

In my current job I've made it a point to be more social and make my presence felt. I just simply greet everyone I pass and see, share things I did over the weekend, ask them how their day is going etc. It has made a HUGE difference in my work dynamic. People often call me asking for help and I work better in a team. Within 6 months of starting I received an unexpected raise and bonus. The CEO commended me for having a great attitude and getting along great with everyone, doing good work helped as well.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,303,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There are so many productive ways we could all be spending our time: reading great books, learning a musical instrument, advancing our career, traveling to a new country, learning a new language, developing an art collection, raising a family, starting a side business, and on and on.

So, do you think that having friends and developing a social circle is worth more than these things? What if you just don't have time?
I view spending time with my friends as VERY productive...that's why I always "make" the time....you can spend time with friends at the same time as you're raising a family......I'd probably also do most of the others you've mentioned WITH a friend....I'm not into any circles though!

Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,415,842 times
Default ditto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This is the most sensible answer. I don't have a social life and I'm fine with that but I certainly don't knock those who do.
I am social 8-16 hrs a day...at work...I need 'my' time and it does not involve needing others around me in my times of privacy and relaxation...sometimes it's difficult enough socializing w/my own dogs...
Koale

Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM

27,644 posts, read 28,745,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
If you're truly not interested in making friends or spending time with friends that's fine. If you genuinely don't want friends that's ok.

For some people it would be fun to do some of the things you mentioned with a friend, like visiting a new country or checking out art to add to your collection. If you have your own business you might like being friends with other entrepreneurs. Friends - true, genuine friends - are great for support, caring and understanding.

But you can do all of those things without friends and still enjoy the experiences.

If you feel like you don't have time, then you need friends who understand that you can't call them every day or see them every week, but maybe you can talk or get together once a month. Or every other month, or whenever you have time.

If time is an issue you'll need friends who understand that maybe you can't spend an hour talking on the phone but you can spend 20 minutes. Or you can't spend an entire Saturday with them, but you can spend some time having a meal or just coffee, going for a walk, playing golf, going shopping, going to a baseball game, or whatever you want to do.

You don't even have to go anywhere - your friend(s) can come to your place and you can have lunch or dinner, watch a DVD, play basketball in your driveway, play pool if you have a pool table, or whatever you would enjoy. You don't even have to do any of that at all - you can just sit and talk for a while.
This is a sensible answer. If once a month is all the time you have, then that's what you have to work with.

I wish more people would be understanding about these kinds of time restrictions.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,212,245 times
One more thing. All those experiences in life are pretty much wasted if all you choose to do is live an internal life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships