Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,318,380 times

Advertisements

I have one brother, older by about 2 years. We're both in our mid-40s. He's married (I like my SIL) and has a son (I like my nephew). They live about 20 miles up the road.

I see them MAYBE 4 times a year.

The simple explanation I give is that if my brother and I weren't related, we would not choose to be friends. It's not that we actively dislike each other -- we don't; when we're together we get along fine -- but we really don't have anything in common. Our likes and interests and lifestyles are very different. I don't fit well into his circle of friends, and he doesn't fit well into my circle of friends.

Beyond that, I dislike how he treats my mother. He takes advantage of her, is overly critical -- if he doesn't make her cry at least once while she's visiting, he probably thinks it's a bad visit -- and never has ANYTHING nice to say about her. Hell, he doesn't even call her "Mom." He insists on calling her by her name, even though she's told him she would prefer to be called "Mom." Mom's not innocent in all this. She has no respect for healthy boundaries and will fall all over herself trying to win his approval...some scrap of affection from him.

Their relationship is VERY different from my relationship with Mom, which is much more respectful, two-sided, engaging, and friendly. I LIKE Mom. I like to spend time with her, I think she's adorable and smart and competent and I'm glad she's my mother.

So I think the contrast between the way she and I are together and the way she and my brother are together is just one more reason why my brother and I don't spend time together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 12:07 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,942,232 times
I do not talk to my sisters or my mom on a regular basis... I talk to my mom occasionally, my oldest sister rarely and my youngest sister I haven't spoken to in over 10 years.....

Old 07-27-2016, 07:50 AM

11,377 posts, read 9,293,598 times
Not much contact with my only brother. We were really never close and that had a lot to do with the horrid upbringing I had. He didn't have it nearly as bad as I did, accept witnessing the physical and mental abuse from my father toward my mother.

I've made the effort through the years even though we are way different people. He's a religious conservative and I'm liberal atheist. He's always had an issue with the latter and I think is the main reason for the lack of contact through the years. He also lives in another state out of my region.

Phone conversations usually last 5 minutes, always ended by him, and are only a few times per year. I have not seen him in 5 years.
Despite all of this I feel we are on good terms. However I wish it could be better, now and then.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:15 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,380,241 times
I probably speak to/ see my sister once a week. She's always been very independent. My dad was never close to his siblings. He was quite a bit older than them. My mom was always doing stuff with her sisters.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:50 PM

219 posts, read 163,141 times
I talk to both of my adult siblings through text at least every other day, call or in person every couple weeks.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:05 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,782,897 times
I grew up in a heavily dysfunctional family. I have a sister, she lives 10 minutes from me . I love her but I can't be around her for extended periods of time because our personalities and parenting styles are so different. So, if she needed a kidney I would be there for her, but seeing her on holidays is enough time spent, or seeing her randomly for 5 minutes.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,091,640 times
I grew up the oldest in a family of seven. I still have 3 sisters and one brother. We all live in different states, but we communicate by texting usually several times a week. I really appreciate staying in communication with them, especially since my wife passed away two years ago. It feels good to have that family connection.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:06 AM

4 posts, read 2,927 times
Hallo! I have three brothers, a sister and a little brother. I have a better connection with my brothers than my sister. And i am close with my Dad.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:37 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,806,136 times
I've only seen my brother once in 15 and only for a few minutes. That's exactly a few minutes too many. It's sad because he's my only living relative, well there's his daughter that he threw away when she was a baby. I'll never know her.

He's a total piece of crap and I don't want that in my perfect little universe.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:52 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,149,938 times
I've cut off all contact with my sibs, I don't even refer to them as brothers and sisters anymore. Just sibs when someone asks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships