Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times

Advertisements

A particular co-worker who I consider an acquaintance but not a close friend said a while back that he doesn't have any children. I don't see him at all other than executive meetings. He mentioned after I had to explain why I didn't want children. Fast forward to this morning (around 6:30 A.M.). I was having breakfast with other executives (He wasn't here for some reason) and there was this little complaining kid at the diner.

This kid was whining consistently and annoyed me to no end, you must also consider that this is approximately 6:30 this morning. I mentioned that the co-worker should be here to witness this incessant nuisance. This woman who is his friend said (under her breath) that he wouldn't understand as he doesn't even talk to his kid. I heard it so I was thinking how odd it was considering he told me that he doesn't have any children (I assumed biological or not). I decided to try to change the subject because I didn't want to delve into that. Has anyone ever been lied to about the number children they have? Perhaps you were the one who lied?

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 10-23-2012 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,160 times
If he's estranged from his child, for any reason, people can be judgmental. Even if it's an adult child or parental alienation is involved. It may be he finds it easier to lie rather than talk about it.

Also, do you know for sure that what she's saying is accurate? That it's not a rumor of someone falsely claiming paternity or someone expecting a partner to keep up a relationship with the kid after the couple's relationship is over and the partner isn't the bio or adoptive parent?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
If he's estranged from his child, for any reason, people can be judgmental. Even if it's an adult child or parental alienation is involved. It may be he finds it easier to lie rather than talk about it.

Also, do you know for sure that what she's saying is accurate? That it's not a rumor of someone falsely claiming paternity or someone expecting a partner to keep up a relationship with the kid after the couple's relationship is over and the partner isn't the bio or adoptive parent?
I don't know. Why would she lie and claim something like that under her breath? She said it in a very disdainful manner like she knows what is (or not) going on and she personally doesn't like it.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:05 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
The only reason I could see a man lying about having a kid is if he was interested in a woman who's said she doesn't want any.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
It's a stupid thing to lie about, first-off. Unless they're completely absent from their child's life, they'll be found out. Besides even child-support records are probably searchable these days, there's no end to the amount of information someone can get about someone else.

To answer your question, sort of, a guy who was once interested in me failed to tell me he had kids. It just so happens that it came out during a bizarre run-in with him a few years later when his kids were in foster care and all he could talk about was my rejecting him years ago. I feel sorry for his kids.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:36 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
I have friend who lies to guys about how many kids she has.

She has 4 kids, but her 3 boys she gave up for adoption years ago. She was in an abusive relationship and went to a shelter and decided she couldn't take care of herself let alone her sons. They went to a couple who was willing to adopt all 3 of them together.

About a year or 2 later she found out she was pregnant. She debated whether to have the kid. Her reasoning was basically "What if this is the daughter I was waiting for?". Turns out she went through and had a girl, and now treats her daughter like royalty while barely acknowledging her sons. So any man she meets she tells them she only has her daughter, because she feels no man will want to know she has 4 kids and that 3 of them are not with her anyway.

I don't necessarily agree with the way she chose to handle it all, but it's not my life so who am I to say anything.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:43 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I have friend who lies to guys about how many kids she has.

She has 4 kids, but her 3 boys she gave up for adoption years ago. She was in an abusive relationship and went to a shelter and decided she couldn't take care of herself let alone her sons. They went to a couple who was willing to adopt all 3 of them together.

About a year or 2 later she found out she was pregnant. She debated whether to have the kid. Her reasoning was basically "What if this is the daughter I was waiting for?". Turns out she went through and had a girl, and now treats her daughter like royalty while barely acknowledging her sons. So any man she meets she tells them she only has her daughter, because she feels no man will want to know she has 4 kids and that 3 of them are not with her anyway.

I don't necessarily agree with the way she chose to handle it all, but it's not my life so who am I to say anything.
Wow. The boys are probably having a better life with her having given them up, and that is great they are all together.

My God I would feel so much guilt with the other child. Always in the back of my mind would be thoughts of the boys thinking they weren't good enough but the girl was.....

Old 10-23-2012, 02:46 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Wow. The boys are probably having a better life with her having given them up, and that is great they are all together.

My God I would feel so much guilt with the other child. Always in the back of my mind would be thoughts of the boys thinking they weren't good enough but the girl was.....
That's how I look at it. I can't understand that mentality. If it were me, I would do whatever I could to get my boys back not go and get pregnant again. Plus all she does is post pics of her daughter on FB and about how proud she is of her, etc. Never anything about her sons, and I know she sees them every once in a while.

This along with an inappropriate comment she made about the BF has me not really speaking to her much these days.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
That's how I look at it. I can't understand that mentality. If it were me, I would do whatever I could to get my boys back not go and get pregnant again. Plus all she does is post pics of her daughter on FB and about how proud she is of her, etc. Never anything about her sons, and I know she sees them every once in a while.

This along with an inappropriate comment she made about the BF has me not really speaking to her much these days.
I suppose different people have different thought processes... Seems like she is just trying to cut that part of her life away....

That is a sad thing that surely she will regret as her boys get older.

OP, I would never lie about the number of children I have. Why do that? Especially if it were in a dating scenario or even at work, etc. These people are most likely going to find out one way or another.

Then where is their credibility? If they would lie about something that big, what else would they lie about?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:16 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Your co-worker's child may have died and he doesn't feel that this is something that he wants to talk about with an acquaintance. Many people have very personal reasons for not divulging personal information. I would leave it alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships