Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 PM

15 posts, read 17,989 times

Advertisements

Real life People sometimes generally don't intrests me..besides i dont know what to talk to about..and it's exhausting N akward
But deep down I want at least one friend if not to talk to do stuff with to get me out of the house..right now i dont know how to make that happen.

What do ya'll think some good ways for an anxious person to be more sociable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:45 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,444 times
Attend a class or workshop that you're really interested in and it'll make it much easier to have things to talk about. If you think it'll take you a while to get comfortable than a longer one would be better. This can be in a traditional classroom or not.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
Attend a class or workshop that you're really interested in and it'll make it much easier to have things to talk about. If you think it'll take you a while to get comfortable than a longer one would be better. This can be in a traditional classroom or not.
Thank you for taking tims to reply to this thread. I don't know about taking a class..dont you have to pay for that? I dont know any free classes/workshops I can take around here..also an issue of finding something i am interested in.

Well there is this German language group on meetup but terrified of even thinkingof speaking with anyone there.

Guess until i get a job and attend college ill be more sociable..i can deal with being a semi-hermit.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 AM

6 posts, read 13,036 times
Default Way to start being social

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetea3 View Post
Real life People sometimes generally don't intrests me..besides i dont know what to talk to about..and it's exhausting N akward
But deep down I want at least one friend if not to talk to do stuff with to get me out of the house..right now i dont know how to make that happen.

What do ya'll think some good ways for an anxious person to be more sociable?
You can find a multitude of casual local meetings on most any topic from board games to business at Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup. People are friendly and welcome anyone new. This is low risk and low investment of time until you see which ones may be a good fit for you. It is generally okay if you can't make a meeting every time. I have felt very comfortable at those I attended. Good luck with your search. Most of the meetings are free.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,444 times
Community Colleges sometimes allow people to audit a class for free.

But you can also do something as simple as joining a book club. Checkout the offerings in your area at meetup.com, or check your local paper for a list of activities. Go and volunteer at an animal shelter a few days a week. Libraries often offer free programs. Colleges often offer free concerts and lectures.

You could volunteer to read to children or seniors in a nursing home. (Maybe you could find someone that speaks German in a nursing home that would be happy with a bit of company?).

There are inexpensive and free clubs for all types of hobbies including photography, chess, hiking, etc.

Some animal rescues cover food and vet bills, and your therapist would likely right a letter for you that a Emotional Support Animal would be of benefit to you (in case you live in housing that forbids pets).

I tend to be a hermit because it causes me severe pain to be in a vehicle, but walking doesn't. Since I adopted a dog a few months ago, I am forced to go outside to walk her 4-5 times a day. I've met people in my neighborhood, and getting a bit of exercise is great for brain chemistry of course. Having a dog that provides unconditional love, and that is a goofball, brightens my days! I can go from crying because my pain is so out of control, and the next thing I know I'm cracking up because she amuses me so much.

You could also join a support group...

You could get a free plot of land through a community garden and grow some of your own fruit and veggies. If you participate in activities that attract mellow, down to earth people, it'll be easy.

Even if all you can manage is walking a block a day at first, just look people in the eye and say Good Morning! Smile if it feels comfortable.

This is a bit of a jumble of quick brainstorming. Hope something in here has some appeal.

P.S. Just noticed you did mention meetup. Go out to a movie meetup as a first outing to try! And Tell your therapist about the German group and discuss the anxiety the thought of it brings up for you!

Last edited by Litlove71; 04-03-2013 at 02:24 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
Community Colleges sometimes allow people to audit a class for free.

But you can also do something as simple as joining a book club. Checkout the offerings in your area at meetup.com, or check your local paper for a list of activities. Go and volunteer at an animal shelter a few days a week. Libraries often offer free programs. Colleges often offer free concerts and lectures.

You could volunteer to read to children or seniors in a nursing home. (Maybe you could find someone that speaks German in a nursing home that would be happy with a bit of company?).

There are inexpensive and free clubs for all types of hobbies including photography, chess, hiking, etc.

Some animal rescues cover food and vet bills, and your therapist would likely right a letter for you that a Emotional Support Animal would be of benefit to you (in case you live in housing that forbids pets).

I tend to be a hermit because it causes me severe pain to be in a vehicle, but walking doesn't. Since I adopted a dog a few months ago, I am forced to go outside to walk her 4-5 times a day. I've met people in my neighborhood, and getting a bit of exercise is great for brain chemistry of course. Having a dog that provides unconditional love, and that is a goofball, brightens my days! I can go from crying because my pain is so out of control, and the next thing I know I'm cracking up because she amuses me so much.

You could also join a support group...

You could get a free plot of land through a community garden and grow some of your own fruit and veggies. If you participate in activities that attract mellow, down to earth people, it'll be easy.

Even if all you can manage is walking a block a day at first, just look people in the eye and say Good Morning! Smile if it feels comfortable.

This is a bit of a jumble of quick brainstorming. Hope something in here has some appeal.

P.S. Just noticed you did mention meetup. Go out to a movie meetup as a first outing to try! And Tell your therapist about the German group and discuss the anxiety the thought of it brings up for you!
Aww..sorry about the pain.. :/ What happen that caused it?

Oh and thanks for the wonderful ideas i love em!

And i would love to have a dog but they hate them. Wanted to volunteer at humane society but i need medical insurance which i dont have...sucks..ill keep looking somewhere.

Given me so good ideas.
oh and found a volunteer postion as an usher in a musical theatre..also get to see free shows so cool hope they dont care if i am fat.

Anyway got me brainstorming here really ya'll are awesome.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiwrites View Post
You can find a multitude of casual local meetings on most any topic from board games to business at Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup. People are friendly and welcome anyone new. This is low risk and low investment of time until you see which ones may be a good fit for you. It is generally okay if you can't make a meeting every time. I have felt very comfortable at those I attended. Good luck with your search. Most of the meetings are free.
Thank you

I have my eye on a few but kinda reluctant to go..not very good at first impressions nor meeting people. Ill keep at it though!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 AM

47 posts, read 89,786 times
Second the meetup place

Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,887 times
Not sure if someone mentioned Meetup.com? But there should have different kinds of social groups in your area. All kinds actually, some of them are support groups.

Check out the site and browse for your area and see if you could connect with a small group of people with some similar interests. You can usually being chatting online first to get to know people before meeting in person.

Also, look into support groups in yor area for people with social anxieties. That could be a good start too.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Have a little alcohol,works for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships