Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:24 AM

219 posts, read 658,018 times

Advertisements

I only look if:

A: It's a cool car or something unusual
or
B: some punk boy-racer blasting rap music. In this case I will give them a "Condescending Wonka" look and reply with blaring some classical music. One time when cruising in Vermont I was actually lucky enough to have the Dynamite Hack cover of Boyz in the Hood come on so I could blare that in response.

I do have two friends who are huge starers. Not at stoplights, though. One drives fast and gawks at every car he passes like he has a personal vendetta with them, we could be 60 feet past the car we passed and he's still straining looking over his right shoulder.

And another who stares the same way but it is because she drives slow and sees every car that passes her as a maniac. "Look at this guy coming up!" For both my friends I'm like "Christ sake, please watch the damn road!"

Personally, I can remember only twice staring at female drivers. Once was when I saw a 60 something y/o looking lady driving a VW GTI, other time was when we were passed by these two girls who looked no older than 16 driving some Mercedes Convertible.

Last edited by Sean-a-thin; 05-12-2013 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,139,353 times
As a truck driver I always have to look for the other guy and as we say, "drive for the other guy" as well. It helps me to know if the other person is actually paying attention to the traffic or not.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:15 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,365 times
I look sometimes, not to see if they are atrractive but just to see who is next to me, same if I were standing in a line.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:37 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
I've noticed that a lot of men – and a few women – have a habit of looking over at the car next to them when they pull up to a red light. Most guys say "it's just a habit," but I sometimes suspect that it's because they (1) want to see if the other driver is a woman, and (2) want to see if the woman is attractive.

As for women doing it, I suspect that they, too, are looking to see if the driver next to them is of the opposite sex and attractive. Do you agree or do you think it's something else ?
What you've described is called this:

Griswolding

Can you guess why?!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:47 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
What you've described is called this:

Griswolding

Can you guess why?!
Ohhhh, Chevy Chase's character (Clark Griswold) getting an eyeful from Christie Brinkley's character (beautiful blonde in a red convertible) in National Lampoon's Vacation. I guess you learn something new everyday .

National Lampoon's Vacation Christie Brinkley- I'm So Excited - YouTube

Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
Most of the time, I do NOT look over at people in the lanes next to me because it doesn't matter to me who the person is. I do it sometimes though & I really have no specific reason for it. Plus, I think the longer the light is, the more of a chance that people will look over at others.

I think the top reasons people look over are:

- They notice a fancy car, so they want to see who's driving it

- The person's driving a little strange or hugging the line, so they want to see who's driving

- Maybe if the person's music is thumping/vibrating, the person looks over to see who's driving...this doesn't affect me personally. Loud music won't make me look because it just feeds into their attention-craving in my opinion.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
I've noticed that a lot of men – and a few women – have a habit of looking over at the car next to them when they pull up to a red light. Most guys say "it's just a habit," but I sometimes suspect that it's because they (1) want to see if the other driver is a woman, and (2) want to see if the woman is attractive.

As for women doing it, I suspect that they, too, are looking to see if the driver next to them is of the opposite sex and attractive. Do you agree or do you think it's something else ?

Could also be if the car is unusual or really expensive or really junky or otherwise stands out, we may want to see who (or what type of person) drives it.

Take my for instance. I drive a "chick magnet'. Women chase me down the road begging for a ride. Sometimes they even throw their undergarments at me. They want to be seen in my vehicle. They insist I drive them by their friends so their friends can see them in my white 1998 F-150, vinyl floors, roll up windows, three kids booster seats, bench seat, manual transmission, plain black tires on wuss 16" rims. Chick Magnet.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
I find the whole thing interesting, how insulated from each other we are in our metal bubbles. I occasionally look, when I'm bored. If it's an attractive lady I do admit I do tend to look a bit longer.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,423,821 times
Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. If I'm honest it usually is to check out the woman and/or vehicle

Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 PM

56 posts, read 92,724 times
As a motorcyclist, I look at the driver of every car I come to within 50 feet, including those on the approaching side of traffic. You will be stunned by what people are doing in their cars. Very little of it can be called 'driving'. Whether they are eating, smoking, reading, talking on their cell phones, texting, putting on makeup or putting their long hair up into a braid (using BOTH hands behind their head) I want to see who is in control of their 2.5ton killing machine while I am within striking distance. Every car I approach from behind, I look in their mirror to see if they are paying attention. Every car I overtake, I look for their face in their side mirror. It is called being aware of your surroundings. Don't be shy. Look at that other driver. You'll see them picking their nose. You'll also notice that many women really prefer to place their left foot up high on the dash- now, explain that one to me...catching a breeze there or something???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships