Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:06 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,664,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Lying appears to be more pronounced; people will tell falsehoods and never think twice about it.

There also appears to be less respect for authority; whether it be their parent/guardian, teacher, police officer, etc.

- Lack of conscience
- Not taking ownership of mistakes and blaming others
- No accountability

Seems to be a generation of "What difference does it make?!"
Very true, but it's not just young people.

Just an example, someone I know got a complaint about their attitude at work and how they treated two people visiting the company rudely, rather than just say they were sorry if they appeared curt. They made up a story about just getting an upsetting call due to a family emergency right before the two visitors came in.....LOL. So flat out lied.

This is the norm these days. Don't admit fault and say you're sorry, turn it around and make yourself the one who is the "victim".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 11:25 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,066,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Just an example, someone I know got a complaint about their attitude at work and how they treated two people visiting the company rudely, rather than just say they were sorry if they appeared curt. They made up a story about just getting an upsetting call due to a family emergency right before the two visitors came in.....LOL. So flat out lied.

This is the norm these days. Don't admit fault and say you're sorry, turn it around and make yourself the one who is the "victim".
You are absolutely right....I stand corrected.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:58 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,327,374 times
Yes. Agreed.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:03 PM

12,425 posts, read 2,979,650 times
Too many parents no longer teach their kids courtesy and respect for others. Those go a long way towards a civilized society.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:05 PM

12,425 posts, read 2,979,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Yes, too many people think kt's okay to lie at their convenience. I don't buy the rationalization of those who say everyone does it or it won't matter a hundred years from now. Everyone doesn't do it, and it matters right now!

Old 06-02-2016, 02:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,207,589 times
I don't think people themselves are different from when I was, say 20 or so. I do think people now tend to be more open about their hostilities or hang ups. I think social pressure kept many of us from bragging or overtly being bratty. I don't think social pressure is the same as it used to be.

In terms of social behavior, remember that many of the victims of sexual abuse by priests--who should have been the most trustworthy of people--have just now been coming forward. Much of that bad stuff happened during the time your parents are remembering fondly.

I remember working in a office in the early 1970s. It was full of dysfunctional people. There were terrible gossips and drama queens, and at least one guy who felt oddly entitled. One old guy deliberately blew smoke in my face at a meeting. (Smoking was allowed then.)

I'm not sure I miss the old days that much.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:47 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,695,084 times
I don't think people are any worse today than they were in years past. The main difference is that 50 years ago, institutional racism/sexism/etc. was acceptable so that sort of behavior served as more of an outlet for people who might engage in other behaviors nowadays.

Now we're at a point where respect isn't just a given, it has to be earned. Just because you are an authority figure doesn't mean that you'll automatically get respect nowadays if people think you don't deserve it. As mentioned in the above post about the priests, people have just become wary of giving people their trust just because they're a priest, carry a badge, etc. They know all the scandals and are cautious just like they'd be with anyone else in the public, as they should be.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:47 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,179,155 times
Things were better years ago?! Not true at all. I laugh whenever I see threads praising the virtues of "the good old days". What a load of crap. Horrible things happened then, they just weren't broadcast to the extent the news is these days.

In fact, the way I see it things are lot better these days. I'm in my mid-40's, and have seen a lot of improvements in society in just my lifetime:

-Much more accountability in place for LE & other authority figures - which is excellent.

-Much easier access to & awareness of birth control/contraception. Going along with this, much more awareness/education about STD's - and prevention (which goes back to the birth control/protection).

-Going along with the above, the sexual revolution in the 1960's is one of the best things that happened to society. I myself like dating casually, and casual sex has gotten more & more acceptable throughout the years. And, it wasn't as acceptable/tolerated "back in the day".

-More tolerance of interracial relationships/dating/marriage. I'm a white guy, and have dated (and am attracted to) women of all races. At one time, something like this would not have been as acceptable.

- The Internet gives us a wealth of information at our fingertips. I myself have found it extremely useful over the years, and it has actually saved me a lot of time & money.

- From an entertainment stand-point (and going along with the Internet), we're living in a time when we have access to any music, TV show, or movie at the push of a button. Gone are the days of having to rent movies, tape TV shows, buy CD's, etc.

As far as the breakdown of the "family unit", things were never really that great in the past. Divorce wasn't an option (not nearly as much as it is now) so many women and men were stuck in marriages they didn't want to be in, making themselves miserable in the process. These days, society is also a lot more open to non-traditional lifestyles.

As far as the 'idyllic' 1950's, a lot of horrible things happened during that decade - it wasn't nearly as 'innocent' as many make it out to be:

http://www.biography.com/people/char...weather-233080

http://www.biography.com/people/ed-g...#serial-killer

Old 06-02-2016, 09:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
My parents, who are in their 80s, are always complaining about the lack of people skills of folks today. They insist that "in their day" people were nicer. They insist that people do not know how to have a friendly relationship anymore. The quality of people in general (and their personal attributes) has gone done hill.

Mom and Dad know there were plenty of mean and terrible people alive in "their day" but believe there were more decent people back then as a percentage of the population.

I read many of the postings on this board and a common complaint is the "poor quality people" many of us are meeting. The quality of our personal relationships are going down hill. Maybe Mom and Dad are on to something. Maybe there is just more mean people in America today than before.

What do you think?
I don't equate a lack of people skills with being a bad person.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:00 PM

8,277 posts, read 8,673,865 times
No. You just hear about things you never would have heard about before.

A murder/suicide on a college campus and it was the lead story nationwide. Before you wouldn't have heard about it unless you lived in the area. Casey Anthony. People have probably done the same thing every day of this countries existence. You had to kill 8 nurses at one time to make the news before. We have always had serial killers. We have always had gangs.

It is safer to leave you door unlocked or let your child walk down the street alone today than it was 50 years ago. Crime is way down from the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships