Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 07:10 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,513 times

Advertisements

People were annoying years ago just as they are today. Today there are more people than there were years ago. Replace annoying with "bad" if you want or not.

Shrugs, nothing new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 09:18 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
.... this is all the result of the poor, less intelligent people reproducing at a higher rate than normal or above average intelligent people. the answer to this is population control, but "god" forbid we should infringe upon those freedoms because it's not "politically correct". *drops mic*
Nice rant. You're right in one respect. Overpopulation is a major hazard. Remember ZPG? It was the educated people who believed in and practiced it. But now we're stuck with the Duggars, and the Quiverful cult or whatever it is. The only way the poor(er) people have now to limit population seems to be regressing to back alley abortions.
I raised two kids to be respectful of others, to be polite, and to work for what they wanted, and I did that as a single parent, never on welfare. I also managed to get my degree while doing so. One of them has a degree, the other doesn't. But his idea of engrossing reading is those huge environmental impact statements regarding his chosen career - commercial fishing along the west coast from the Bering Sea to Southern California. She's a carpenter, does custom work, and is MIG/TIG certified.
I can't decide whether my offspring and I are anachronisms or just part of an extreme minority.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:29 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
So, why are you and your family and your friends so terrible now?
you know nothing of me to much such a conclusion

Old 06-04-2016, 10:08 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
you know nothing of me to much such a conclusion

I see. So it's not you, or your family or your friends who are so awful now. It's just everyone else. That's awfully convenient.

Like I said earlier, some people have been complaining about everyone else since the beginning of time. It's nothing new to be surrounded by cranky people who complain.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:17 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I see. So it's not you, or your family or your friends who are so awful now. It's just everyone else. That's awfully convenient.

Like I said earlier, some people have been complaining about everyone else since the beginning of time. It's nothing new to be surrounded by cranky people who complain.
not everyone, just the majority of people. i like to keep a healthy distance from people...especially people like you. dont pretend you know me, and i dont need any life lessons from your armchair philosophy about others. people have been complaining about others since the beginning of time???? i totally didn't know that! go insult someone else's intelligence.

i make every attempt possible to be a decent human being, but i am stuck in a world of increasingly inconsiderate and entitled asshats. excuse me if i have i bad day and decide not to participate in my usual philanthropy of kindness and consideration for others. "god" forbid i should come on a message board and vent my frustrations about humankind, right???

Old 06-05-2016, 10:59 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Every generation complains about the generation that follows. Talk about the good old days and how these kids today have no manners, class or work ethic. In the 1950s, Elvis was the devil to most parents, today it's hip-hop or heavy metal. Granted, there is a grain of truth to how we have become watered down as a society. But I think we have to take the good with the bad. Yes, people generally dressed and carried themselves better overall, and education has been watered down in some ways, but curriculums have become more challenging in other ways. Have you tried helping a 5th grader with their homework recently? My daughter was already learning algebra and foreign language in 6th grade. Yet a majority of high school aged students today probably couldn't point to Bolivia on a map.

Today our poor behaviors are just more visible to the world with social media and sites such as youtube. If anything, I think we were more violent in prior generations and today there is more awareness than ever when it comes to discrimination, bullying, and homophobia. Although now every minor or perceived threat is labeled bullying or racism, it has taken on a life of its own and in many instances it is overused. It would be nice if we could split the difference between what was acceptable yesterday and what is considered unacceptable today. We have become so hyper-sensitive now that everyone is living in a protective bubble.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:41 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,309,577 times
I think bad people could get away with more in the past. Most murders went unsolved. Sexual assaults? Most not even reported or known of.

With today's DNA evidence, surveillance cameras, and open culture, much harder to get away with crime.

Some cities like Baltimore, Detroit and Chicago might be worse off. But remember LA and NYC in the 70s/80s vs now?

Old 06-07-2016, 12:44 PM

243 posts, read 230,445 times
There are more people now, and if the percentage of bad people remains the same then there are of course more bad people. Bad people more often get a pass now too, because of Leftist politics, which encourages them to be even more bad, and the closet bad people to come out of the closet and be openly bad also.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:38 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVaslovik View Post
There are more people now, and if the percentage of bad people remains the same then there are of course more bad people. Bad people more often get a pass now too, because of Leftist politics, which encourages them to be even more bad, and the closet bad people to come out of the closet and be openly bad also.
I don't think there are more bad people. But I do notice that there are more people who have become so obsessed with 'lefties' and the political arena in general that it dominates every part of their life.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:24 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
People are definitely worse today than in years and decades past, and due to several factors.

First, successful older societies had certain rigid social structures and rules. And anyone breaking the social were "punished" with peer disapproval. Rule breakers were shunned and made to feel shame. Examples would be out of wedlock children aka bastards, and adultery (think the novel The Scarlet Letter) or theft (the Shariah law of cutting off the hand). Also, the Japanese with their samurai code and hara kiri.

But as time goes by and the different cultures mingle, many of these moral codes have fallen by the waysides. Or if there is still a code, someone might justify their wrongful behaviour due to the other person being an outsider to the group, or just judging the odds of being caught.

Secondly, our world population has greatly increased. And with that, less resources to go around. There is greater friction and competition between the different groups (racial, cultural, spiritualities and nationalities) of people. It is just our animal nature to want our own groups and gene pools to survive. So again, another reason to treat outsiders poorly when stressed out or bored. Humans are just naturally selfish.

Thirdly, just like chickens, humans are animals that have a tendency to develop pecking orders within our own groups. There is always the alpha group and so on down the line until there are the bottom people that everyone disrespects.

Fourthly, history. Previous (bad) acts are remembered and inspire others. (Bad) people are copycats and push the line forward to raise the bar to badassness to strengthen their reputation and scare others into submission. Others act in an effort to reach celebrity status, especially in this age of internet, Facebook, and viral videos.

Otherwise, I know very very few people who have true integrity, morals and a strong work ethic. At work, it's a very small group of older Chinese workers, me and a white Irish Catholic guy in his forties. Everyone else, South Americans, ghetto culture people, and the Millennials are fine slacking and texting on their phones. They stop working frequently waiting for a manager to tell them what to do next... when in reality, our work is repetitious and they already know what to do next. And IMO when they due this sh*t they are stealing from our employer, who actually pays us very well for an easy job and we get a Cadillac health plan for very very cheap.

And drivers on the road are stressed at the increased road traffic. They aren't courteous to fellow drivers. There is more road rage and also more bad drivers who don't bother using turn signals and think it's their right to be on the road, not a privilege. Women with babies and children think that they should be a priority. Everyone is just me, me me all day long.

So yes, people are much worse now than ever before. No question about that in my mind, which is why my forever house is in a rural area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships