Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 PM

102 posts, read 311,093 times

Advertisements

I started a new job pretty recently (6 months ago). In this new job one of my coworkers and I have really hit it off and become great friends! She's a veteran in the field (I'm 2 years post college) and has really become a trusted advisor/confidante (we'll call her friend A).

We talk all the time and both can be completely open discussing our successes/challenges/frustrations about our jobs (and life in general). While we work in the same department, we never work on the same projects together - so it's perfect that we can relate to each other's work, but never have to worry about jeopardizing a working relationship because our jobs are parallel, yet they never intersect.

I have a new partner who has come on board (I work very closely this partner DAILY). She has also begun talking to my original friend - which is great, Friend A has a wealth of knowledge that anyone new could learn a great deal from.

My concern is that as I'm sharing challenges/frustrations with my original friend, I worry that it may spill into conversations between her and the "new girl". The new girl references conversations with 'Friend A' a LOT. I don't think Friend A would intentionally disclose our private conversations, but I do have reservations. I actually find myself shying away from talk to her as much.

Should I trust 'Friend A' until she gives me a reason not to? I just see this as a bad equation and don't want to get burned when I could have avoided it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Never tell any coworker anything you don't want to be shared with other coworkers.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Never tell any coworker anything you don't want to be shared with other coworkers.
Thanks for the input! I'd kind of moved her into "friend" category instead of "coworker", but at the end of the day, you're right...

Old 06-25-2013, 07:13 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
Friend A may not even do it on purpose....but something I bound to leak.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Friend A may not even do it on purpose....but something I bound to leak.
Yes! That is what I'm afraid of...

Old 06-26-2013, 02:52 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHey! View Post
I started a new job pretty recently (6 months ago). In this new job one of my coworkers and I have really hit it off and become great friends! She's a veteran in the field (I'm 2 years post college) and has really become a trusted advisor/confidante (we'll call her friend A).

We talk all the time and both can be completely open discussing our successes/challenges/frustrations about our jobs (and life in general). While we work in the same department, we never work on the same projects together - so it's perfect that we can relate to each other's work, but never have to worry about jeopardizing a working relationship because our jobs are parallel, yet they never intersect.

I have a new partner who has come on board (I work very closely this partner DAILY). She has also begun talking to my original friend - which is great, Friend A has a wealth of knowledge that anyone new could learn a great deal from.

My concern is that as I'm sharing challenges/frustrations with my original friend, I worry that it may spill into conversations between her and the "new girl". The new girl references conversations with 'Friend A' a LOT. I don't think Friend A would intentionally disclose our private conversations, but I do have reservations. I actually find myself shying away from talk to her as much.

Should I trust 'Friend A' until she gives me a reason not to? I just see this as a bad equation and don't want to get burned when I could have avoided it...
Call me cynical, but I wouldn't trust anyone, unless I knew them REALLY well...in personal life as well..If you are too trusting you can be easily hurt. I'd just keep my interaction with co-workers to general meaningless chitchat...to be polite...The MAIN thing is don't talk about one co-worker with another...that's a no no and pretty risky stuff.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:56 PM

11,136 posts, read 9,769,935 times
I would definitely not complain to friend A about new co-worker or anything that could be construed as talking behind her back. I also would not discuss info at work that could be considered gossip about myself or other co-workers. Someday she may be closer to new person than to you and reveal your conversations. If you become true friends outside of work, then I would be more candid, but still use discretion speaking about people she knows, unless you know that you are on the same page.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
This is the best advice that you could get. You never know what can change the dynamics at work and you do not want to be embroiled in anything that could hurt you or your career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships