Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 01:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
In my community, there is a "thing" where the folks that live here complain endlessly on Facebook about the speed at which people drive in the community. The speed limit is 25. The clicky stay at home moms - who do not have to suffer through traffic & long commutes - have decided that 15 is the max appropriate speed.

I've been driving 25 miles per hour. Today, one of the clicky moms stopped by my house and informed me that I was driving at an inappropriate speed. She quoted 90 miles per hour, which is factually not correct. I drive 25 mph. She said that her kid often bolts into the street without looking, and she wants everyone to drive slow enough to avoid her kid. She also sets up cones and sticks "slow children at play" signs in the middle of the street to slow people down.

I am wondering if I am obligated by society to listen to her. Clearly, driving 25 mph in a 25mph zone is legally permissible. I also want to get along well with neighbors.

I do not like following the directions of others - I have been successful in life because I choose to ignore other people in many situations. I would probably be living with my parents and working at a dead end job if I chose to follow what society thought of me. Instead, I have a successful job at a city distant from my parents, and also have a beautiful family.

Thanks.

No mean comments please - I'm sincerely asking real questions here.

You sound very arrogant.

Let me share with you the story of someone who like you was asked/told on several occasions to slow down as children were at play.

Like you she didn't like being told what to do, well she ended up hitting 3 kids and one of them died.

Now she is doing 15yrs in a place where they tell you when to eat, sleep, and s**t.

You decide which is the better option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 01:37 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
Quote:
I am wondering if I am obligated by society to listen to her. Clearly, driving 25 mph in a 25mph zone is legally permissible. I also want to get along well with neighbors.
No, of course not. Your obligation is to drive at a safe and reasonable speed, not exceeding the posted speed limits, and to drive in such a way as not to endanger other people.

You have no obligation to listen to some crank who has decided that she owns the street and gets to control what people do when they drive by her house.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:00 PM

280 posts, read 473,389 times
Quote:
In my community, there is a "thing" where the folks that live here complain endlessly on Facebook about the speed at which people drive in the community. The speed limit is 25. The clicky stay at home moms - who do not have to suffer through traffic & long commutes - have decided that 15 is the max appropriate speed.

I've been driving 25 miles per hour. Today, one of the clicky moms stopped by my house and informed me that I was driving at an inappropriate speed. She quoted 90 miles per hour, which is factually not correct. I drive 25 mph. She said that her kid often bolts into the street without looking, and she wants everyone to drive slow enough to avoid her kid. She also sets up cones and sticks "slow children at play" signs in the middle of the street to slow people down.

I do not like following the directions of others - I have been successful in life because I choose to ignore other people in many situations. I would probably be living with my parents and working at a dead end job if I chose to follow what society thought of me. Instead, I have a successful job at a city distant from my parents, and also have a beautiful family.

Thanks.

No mean comments please - I'm sincerely asking real questions here.

Kill her with kindness. Works everytime. If not on her, she will start yapping about how you were so nice to Betty Sue and Betty Sue should chime in and say, ya know that Gal is actually a pretty sweet lady and very kind.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:20 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,356,591 times
First of all , this traffic Nazi needs to learn to control her own child . Lecturing me on my driving habits wouldn't fly at all , and I'd crush her stupid cones and sign at every opportunity . Of course nobody wants to injure or kill a child but I'll do MY part to prevent that and she needs to do HERS . Illegal traffic controls and lectures is not it .

Old 11-14-2013, 07:23 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,356,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You sound very arrogant.

Let me share with you the story of someone who like you was asked/told on several occasions to slow down as children were at play.

Like you she didn't like being told what to do, well she ended up hitting 3 kids and one of them died.

Now she is doing 15yrs in a place where they tell you when to eat, sleep, and s**t.

You decide which is the better option.
What was she convicted of ?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:34 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The top one referrs to "installation" of a sign. If one has to request installation of a sign, I take that to mean they are requesting a permanent road sign. We have one nearby that says "deaf child playing". I'm sure the parents had to request that. So this doesn't address the small plastic sign.
As I said, if the state and federal government does not approve of cities and towns putting up "Children At Play" signs, they certainly do not approve of rogue residents taking the matter into their own hands. The message is clear, “Children at Play†signs are not legal on or near public roads anywhere in the United States. Because they are counterproductive. They confuse and annoy drivers, and send a false message to children that it is OK to play in the street.

Quote:
The bottom one Specifies "highway" not residential street, and also says "resembles" a real sign. A person shaped neon sign doesn't resemble a real traffic sign and should not confuse drivers in that way.I don't think it is right to put it in the middle of the street, but off to the side, I have no problem with.
i
It is not right to put them in the middle of the street, or anywhere near the street.

highway [ˈhaɪˌweɪ]
n
1. a public road that all may use
2. Now chiefly US and Canadian except in legal contexts a main road, esp one that connects towns or cities
3. a main route for any form of transport
4. a direct path or course

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

V C Section 21465 Unauthorized Traffic Devices

Unauthorized Traffic Devices

21465. No person shall place, maintain, or display upon, or in view of, any highway any unofficial sign, signal, device, or marking, or any sign, signal, device, or marking which purports to be or is an imitation of, or resembles, an official traffic control device or which attempts to direct the movement of traffic or which hides from view any official traffic control device.

Amended Ch. 486, Stats. 1967. Effective November 8, 1967.

No individual has a right to attempt to direct the movement traffic on a public street. You only have the right to petition the city to do something about it.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
As I said, if the state and federal government does not approve of cities and towns putting up "Children At Play" signs, they certainly do not approve of rogue residents taking the matter into their own hands. The message is clear, “Children at Play†signs are not legal on or near public roads anywhere in the United States. Because they are counterproductive. They confuse and annoy drivers, and send a false message to children that it is OK to play in the street.

It is not right to put them in the middle of the street, or anywhere near the street.

highway [ˈhaɪˌweɪ]
n
1. a public road that all may use
2. Now chiefly US and Canadian except in legal contexts a main road, esp one that connects towns or cities
3. a main route for any form of transport
4. a direct path or course

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

V C Section 21465 Unauthorized Traffic Devices

Unauthorized Traffic Devices

21465. No person shall place, maintain, or display upon, or in view of, any highway any unofficial sign, signal, device, or marking, or any sign, signal, device, or marking which purports to be or is an imitation of, or resembles, an official traffic control device or which attempts to direct the movement of traffic or which hides from view any official traffic control device.

Amended Ch. 486, Stats. 1967. Effective November 8, 1967.

No individual has a right to attempt to direct the movement traffic on a public street. You only have the right to petition the city to do something about it.
You are reading a lot into those codes you posted. Neither the state nor federal government has any jurisdiction on a city or county residential street. They do have jurisdiction over state and federal "highways", bringing me back to what I said about the codes in the first place. You have proven nothing.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
What was she convicted of ?
I believe it was vehicular manslaughter. She was told several times by various neighbors to slow down in the neighborhood as children were out at play, she also thought she could do whatever she wanted.

Just from the tone of the post the OP sounds like they're someone who doesn't have to follow the rules. I highly doubt they're doing the speed limit.

And when you see kids out nowadays, you better count on them not paying attention to cars. It's not like the old days where parents taught "look both ways before crossing the street". I see kids riding bikes or walking and most of the time they're texting, they're certainly not looking around them.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:00 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Quote:
You are reading a lot into those codes you posted. Neither the state nor federal government has any jurisdiction on a city or county residential street. They do have jurisdiction over state and federal "highways", bringing me back to what I said about the codes in the first place. You have proven nothing.

It is very common, especially back in "days of yore" (note the code that was posted was modified in 1967) for highway to mean all public roads. In fact, unless there are separate definitions in the code that define specific differences by street type, you have to assume that. There are differences in states, within states and even city to city as to what types of roads are called what (I've seen pike, turnpike boulevard, road al referring to the exact same kind of road, 5 lanes with center turn)

Here is a picture from near where I live that shows pretty much all neighborhood roads and we have Courts, Ways, Lanes, Drives and Roads all describing the same type of vehicular conveyance. The loopy thing on the far right is a Drive also, its just not showing up. There is even a Circle, that is really a curved road.
Attached Thumbnails
Asked to drive specific speed in front of other persons house-capture4-1138x716-.jpg  

Old 11-15-2013, 02:01 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
posted speed limit in my subdivision is 25 mph.... HOWEVER, I know there are a lot of children in the subdivision and even a few dogs that get or roam loose..... I never go more than about 15 - 20 mph, because I would not be able to live with myself if I hit one or the other.....

There are almost always a number of cars parked on the street in front of houses, so I also have to watch out for cars traveling towards me as we navigate the equivalent of a slalom course... so so so many of them feel it is their right to drive the posted speed limit, or more, that there are near misses on a very regular basis......

so yes, op, you are within your rights to drive the posted limit, but is it wise to do so, knowing what you do.... and REALLY, how much time do you save traveling 25 mph as opposed to 20 or so?? a few seconds??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships