Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,933,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They all deserve to be judged for any association with the sick and the twisted.
I would say those men would have to have an eye kept on them. Maybe they are confused, or maybe they don't know any better, maybe they have been coerced, or they might be just plain jerks. Need more evidence...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
What, so you can refuse to read it when McAfee tells you it's unsafe? LOL.
It wasn't me that uses mcafee but I will look it up

Old 01-29-2014, 08:05 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,974 times
I found the pledge. Just look up the promise keepers and it is there. Those who are interested can read it and form their own opinion. I did not see anything about abusing women.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:11 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,997 times
Quote:
My marriage of over 22 years is very strong, healthy and happy. I watched the video, and I don't have any problem with that. Like I told Kathryn, that and her traditional marriage are totally different from Promise Keepers. I've been a SAHM for most of the past 15 years, but I am an equal to my husband. Equality has nothing to do with who does the housework. (I do all that and handle the finances too.) It has to do with being respected and having a say. My husband would never make a major decision without me. I wouldn't without him. We rarely disagree but we respect when one or the other puts a foot down on an issue. We've never had to flip a coin. We come to agreements fairly quickly because we're really well matched.

We're talking about Promise Keepers. As you admit, they are way out there.
While not related what do you think of the bumper stickers that say things such as "My kid's an honor student" or "Proud parents of honor roll student at ABC elementary school" etc.?

Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I found the pledge. Just look up the promise keepers and it is there. Those who are interested can read it and form their own opinion. I did not see anything about abusing women.
How about posting your link? All I am finding is information about PK, but not the Pledge.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
While not related what do you think of the bumper stickers that say things such as "My kid's an honor student" or "Proud parents of honor roll student at ABC elementary school" etc.?
I think they're strange. My children were honor students, and I never felt the need to advertise it. I also think the little cartoon character families are strange too. The soccer balls and footballs with the children's names perplex me the most. Nothing like letting a pedophile know your kid's name so he can say, "Hey, Susie, your mother told me to come pick you up." This is all unrelated. At least they're not affiliated with a cult.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
How about posting your link? All I am finding is information about PK, but not the Pledge.
The pledge is the 7 promises. They're harmless enough. But it's the writings in the books and other materials that define what those things mean that are freaky.

Promise Keepers 7 Promises | Promise Keepers

Totts will have to buy the books from Amazon if she really wants to learn about this. But she doesn't really want to learn about this.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
The pledge is the 7 promises. They're harmless enough. But it's the writings in the books and other materials that define what those things mean that are freaky.

Promise Keepers 7 Promises | Promise Keepers

Totts will have to buy the books from Amazon if she really wants to learn about this.
Thanks. Guess I'm a little slow today! I did see the promises and wound up looking askance (sp?) at the list because of what they really mean, based on the sources.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Thanks. Guess I'm a little slow today! I did see the promises and wound up looking askance (sp?) at the list becuase of what they really mean, based on the sources.
I saw them a while ago too. On the surface, they look harmless enough. Totts would have to delve deeper to understand what they really mean. I don't get the impression she's interested in doing the research.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:28 PM

So here's the deal as listed in Wikipedia:

The core beliefs of the Promise Keepers, outlined in the Seven Promises, consist of the following:
  1. A Promise Keeper is committed to honoring Jesus Christ through worship, prayer and obedience to God's Word in the power of the Holy Spirit.
  2. A Promise Keeper is committed to pursuing vital relationships with a few other men, understanding that he needs brothers to help him keep his promises.
  3. A Promise Keeper is committed to practising spiritual, moral, ethical and sexual purity.
  4. A Promise Keeper is committed to building strong marriages and families through love, protection and Biblical values.
  5. A Promise Keeper is committed to supporting the mission of his church by honoring and praying for his pastor and by actively giving his time and resources.
  6. A Promise Keeper is committed to reaching beyond any racial and denominational barriers to demonstrate the power of Biblical unity.
  7. A Promise Keeper is committed to influencing his world, being obedient to the Great Commandment (Mark 12:30-31) and the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20).
If anyone has actually studied the xtian bible, no translation will be needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships