Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:26 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,066,670 times

Advertisements

My personality is such that I don't often clue friends or family in on any sort of life achievement until the ink is very very dry. Part of it is I'm sort of a private person, some of it is because I know anything can happen before the ink is dry.

A couple friends are the opposite; they will update their friends/family frequently at every stage of the game. At times this takes on the impression of counting the chickens before the eggs are hatched. (i.e., "let's go celebrate xxxx")

I usually feel pretty funny about that...while I want to appear happy and supportive for them, I also get a little weary of the constant updates which I take (probably wrongly?) as premature trolling for congratulatory wishes.

I usually keep my responses short and upbeat.

Anyone identify?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 05:08 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,383,291 times
Yes.

When it comes to things I would like to have happen, I usually wait until it's actually done-for certain-to announce.
I'm not much of a "future visionary"-I don't trust that just because something has begun that it will be finished.

For me, it "gets old fast" when someone repeatedly "overpromises & underdelivers",
by saying things will be different, I'm going to change-yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:11 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
Examples?

Old 01-26-2014, 05:16 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,759,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Examples?

Work- Might get a new job.. had an interview and celebrating that vs getting the actual offer.
Relationships- We're pretty much dating.. vs being official.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,500,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

Anyone identify?
No. I have no problem with people who are positive and update regularly with good news. Sometimes I respond, sometimes I don't. And if I find that they are being premature or the post is not newsworthy, I simply ignore it.

[like a lot of other mindless posts that litter places like Facebook]

Old 01-26-2014, 06:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,210,147 times
Have you considered that their lives are so horrible, or so dull or so depressing that just having a job interview or one date IS reason for them to celebrate?

Last Friday afternoon, after substitute teaching students with severe behavioral disabilities, I was very happy that during that day not once did a child bite me, scratch me, hit me or call me a "f******* b*****".

That was a good reason for me to celebrate.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-26-2014 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: attempted (not very successfully) to improve a key sentence.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,333,155 times
eh, everyone gets excited over different things. Personally I don't celebrate but I do mention or did with the interview, promotion that might be in the works etc. I don't keep secrets though so not a big issue to me either way.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:33 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,932,197 times
I guess this fits the category: the women who announce they are going to have a baby when they are only a few weeks pregnant. I'm thinking "Maybe you should hold off on the celebrating until you see if it will actually 'take'. It might be a little early for planning showers and knitting booties."

Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,342,293 times
Do these people actually telephone you with this kind of news? Are you invited to these "celebrations"? Or are you really talking about Facebook posts? If you are invited in person, you can make your point by replying, "I'll take a raincheck. Invite me to the party when you get the job." If it's a Facebook posting that's bugging you ... you know the answer to that.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:43 PM

23,267 posts, read 29,118,234 times
I've long had superstitions/paranoia about any upcoming events in my life. I take a trip, tell no one, upload photo's on my return trip, and? You didn't say anything about going here or there!

Long time ago, I got all excited about a foreign trip I was to take, blabbing it to everyone, and then? Something happened, it got canceled and I was stuck with all that embarrassment!

That goes for anything in my life! I'm planning to retire in Tucson, but no one will know until I upload a photo of my retirement home some day!

What's wrong with that? I love surprises, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships