Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 06:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,277,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I tell them I am a life insurance salesman.
Man. If that's not a way to clear a room, I don't know what is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 10:01 PM

658 posts, read 849,948 times
It's very off putting for a man to ask a woman upon meeting her what she does for a living and where she lives.

I have encountered men who have asked me just that. One guy approached me after a comedy show asked me my name and what I did for a living.

The conversation ended right then and there. Ignorant doofus.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:07 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,528,341 times
25% of your life...25% of the hours in a week you spend at work.
Big part of your life.

This is taboo?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:17 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,844,233 times
I seem to remember your username from a thread about an accountant who hates his job. You are the accountant right?

Are you still doing that? Just curious. In any case, what people do defines who they GENERALLY speaking...

Whether you are successful or a failure, or what type of person you are, your profession defines this about you. You may not like it, but there is a social hierarchy in society. Those who are on top don't mind it. Those who are not, mind it.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,844,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
what if you work for a bank like an armored car driver or work on the ATM machines? answering questions could put yourself in danger, especially for your own security, your not supposed to tell people about that kind of info, those nosey questions could be used for a bank heist.

for some occupations it's best to keep it to yourself

So jewelry store employees should not tell anyone where they work either, because their position is a position of grave importance? What abour retail stores in general, they get robbed more often than banks do.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:39 PM

5,636 posts, read 3,993,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
"what do you do" ??

im on parole - this usually ends the conversation

I go to church- again this halts more questions

im in the witness protection program- dont tell anyone!!

im on disability, and presently training in powerlifting

i'm a liberal, im not required to DO anything!
You know, the bolded is probably actually going to work much of the time, given that I would bet strongly on the askers of this question skewing heavily conservative.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:53 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,224,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's simply a conversation starter. Work, whether we like it or not, takes up a very large portion of our lives. Perhaps it doesn't define us, but it is a large part of how we spend our lives.

I dropped my car off at the dealership for servicing yesterday, and the driver of the shuttle (taking me to my office) asked me that very question. I doubt he was trying to one-up me or establish socio-economic class. He was just making conversation to avoid awkward silence.

Don't overthink it.
Yes, it's usually more of an ice breaker than anything so long as you don't ask about their compensation. The subject can always be changed to any number of things after that like the weather, a new restaurant that just opened, sports, travel, interests, how long you have been in the area, etc.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-23-2014 at 11:12 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,479,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
What is the fascination with this question? Is it to compare themselves to others? To "one-up" someone subtly? To be sure they're in your socio-economic class? Just to get the conversation flowing?

So again, how do you feel about this question? If you ask, then what is your reason for doing so?
I never ask this question. The last thing people tend to want to talk about is their work and I don't personally care what people do. In fact, it took about 6 months for me to learn about what my bf did (who I eventually married). I knew the industry but not a clue on what he did. Didn't seem relevant I guess. Instead, I just ask, "what do you like to do for fun?" That always gets interesting responses. It's not a taboo question, it's just a question that has the potential to shut people down because then they have to field questions they don't want to answer.

I don't mind people asking me what I do though. I don't take offense to it as I know it's just a superficial question.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:17 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,070,750 times
SOME reasons why SOME people SOME times don't like answering this question

- if you make a lot of money you might not want to advertise that in a roomful of people you judge to have less

- if you make smaller or very small or humiliatingly small amounts of money, you might not want to advertise that

- if you have a certain career that is a lightning rod for society's collective hate - I'm talking lawyer or cop or DMV clerk you might be secretly *desperate* for a social venue and new friends that allows you to define yourself outside of the baggage of your career.

for someone that I'm not likely to ever see again, I don't really care what you answer is, see - because I'm just trying to get you to talk about YOURSELF.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:37 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,798,388 times
The vast majority of the people I know are either Nuclear Engineers or Doctors, you know how incredibly boring that is?

Other jobs sound exciting, and fun.

Oh you're a line cook? That's amazing how do you get everything out at the same time?

A politician? What's it like to always be disliked more than liked?

Of you're a portable toilet ventilation engineer? Me too (that was my old go to when I couldn't talk about my actual job, there's a whole lot of thought that goes into those systems, pretty cool actually).

Jobs are cool, and ALL are important! That's why you get paid, cause it matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships