Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:33 AM

10,349 posts, read 14,041,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
What is the fascination with this question? Is it to compare themselves to others? To "one-up" someone subtly? To be sure they're in your socio-economic class? Just to get the conversation flowing?

I'm just wondering because to me, it's somewhat annoying.

I'd prefer someone ask me about my hobbies, movies I enjoy, or places I have traveled.

How do you feel about this question? Maybe I'm just overreacting, but it's gotten to the point that I am asked that question so much that it is an instant turn-off and I either say starving artist or still finding out.

I personally am not defined by my employment because to me it's just a means to doing the things I actually enjoy.

I was even playing Words With Friends and my random, stranger opponent asked me this question.

So again, how do you feel about this question? If you ask, then what is your reason for doing so?
I don't care if someone asks me what I do as long as they don't make snide comments or ask what my salary is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 01:19 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,479,656 times
asking what you do is mostly to establish your rank in the pecking order, also your educational level, a person that never graduated from community college vs a highly educated person from a prestigious university, is like in the military comparing a low ranking enlisted man like a private to a Colonel or General in the military, the higher your rank in the pecking order the most status you have, in the military your rank means everything, same as in the civillian world the lower your status the lower your rank.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:52 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,249,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
asking what you do is mostly to establish your rank in the pecking order, also your educational level, a person that never graduated from community college vs a highly educated person from a prestigious university, is like in the military comparing a low ranking enlisted man like a private to a Colonel or General in the military, the higher your rank in the pecking order the most status you have, in the military your rank means everything, same as in the civillian world the lower your status the lower your rank.
So, when I was discussing the great work my stone mason was doing and we started discussing how he got into the trade, then his family, my kids, and he asked what I did for a living he was trying to establish a rank for pecking order?

Old 07-27-2014, 04:27 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,501,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoticworld View Post
Hilarious! I might have to use that next time. Hank Hill
You gotta do the voice too though!

Old 07-27-2014, 04:48 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,079,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I'm sorry your social circle is like that. It's not always like that.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,994,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Wow, you are traveling in Business class - overseas no less - and you find it rude (and possibly racist) that someone would ask what business you are in? Your assumptions are way out of line - those are obviously things that YOU think. Not what's going through the rest of our minds. I'd be thinking you must have some really interesting job to be traveling overseas on business, and I'd be interested in hearing about it. Is it rude to ask if you're traveling for business or pleasure or is that one OK? If you say business, is it then OK to ask what kind of business, or do we have to suddenly shift the conversation to plane food in order not to offend? (and wouldn't it be rude NOT to ask, after you said you're on business??)

As for other cultures, I've lived overseas and the first question I was always asked, without exception, was "Where are you from?" Immediately following that, for women, how old are you and are you married. No, that's not rude at all.
You haven't been black. I would not be shocked, particularly if that poster is tall, the next question is what sport do you play. In the case of being in business class, the assumption behind the what do you do question is actually, how can a black man afford to be in business class? It isn't friendly conversation typically. More like being nosy.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 AM

52,418 posts, read 52,940,397 times
I think you're probably just reading too much into it. As others have said, it's typically just a basic conversation question, much like "how's the weather", I don't necessarily think people are doing it to "one up" you, IDK, maybe I'm wrong.

I think it's just part of getting to know someone is all, nothing really much more than that.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,242,608 times
For better or worse, what we do is part of who we are and a component of our identity. I don't mind when people ask, so I answer them and enjoy the reactions they have.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM

216 posts, read 299,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You haven't been black. I would not be shocked, particularly if that poster is tall, the next question is what sport do you play. In the case of being in business class, the assumption behind the what do you do question is actually, how can a black man afford to be in business class? It isn't friendly conversation typically. More like being nosy.
Exactly! What sports player, what rapper etc....I had one flight attendant ask me if I was performing once we landed in Tokyo? Completely lost me on that one. I didn't bother going thru that with the previous poster as most people have a severe inability to understand certain things until they themselves are put in that position. You hit the nail on the head. And why should I have to entertain anyone anyway? Can I not just enjoy my few cocktails, eat my food, watch a couple of movies without feeling I am obligated to answer such an intrusive question in the first place? Truth is I really could care less about what the person next to me is doing career wise, nor do I ask.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:24 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,501,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoticworld View Post
Exactly! What sports player, what rapper etc....I had one flight attendant ask me if I was performing once we landed in Tokyo? Completely lost me on that one. I didn't bother going thru that with the previous poster as most people have a severe inability to understand certain things until they themselves are put in that position. You hit the nail on the head. And why should I have to entertain anyone anyway? Can I not just enjoy my few cocktails, eat my food, watch a couple of movies without feeling I am obligated to answer such an intrusive question in the first place? Truth is I really could care less about what the person next to me is doing career wise, nor do I ask.
YUP! If you look hard enough for anything, you'll find clues that it's there somewhere!

I'm pretty sure any time black people ask me what I do, they're really asking if I'm a cop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships