Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:05 PM

216 posts, read 299,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
YUP! If you look hard enough for anything, you'll find clues that it's there somewhere!

I'm pretty sure any time black people ask me what I do, they're really asking if I'm a cop!

Being that I normally don't post in anything outside of the different city forums(this thread was interesting to me), I'll clue you guys in on a few things. I don't look for anything, but I am not oblivious to the world around me. I have a live and let live attitude.....don't really care about your race, sexuality, religion and damn sure not you Title (job). Good people are good people. As long as what you are doing in life doesn't affect me one way or the other....I say go for it. All that is to say is I don't look for anything in particular. I have a white wife. On one of our trips across the pond on vacation she was taking pictures of me with her phone(again in the front of the plane). She later told me that after I came from using the restroom (a whole 2-3 hours later)that one of the other passengers asked her was I someone important or that they should know. They didn't know we were married. Why would someone ask this? And why wait til someone leaves to ask that question? I'm sure everything all the time is 100% innocent! Why can't I be just an average Joe? Actually my wife said the same thing.......but if that's me looking for something, then oh well.

Last edited by kayoticworld; 07-29-2014 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 04:21 PM

17 posts, read 22,001 times
usually when some one asks me what I do for a living I tell them and then they have about an hours worth of questions, one of the first questions they ask is why do I do it?, I tell them two reasons mostly, 1st., is the money and 2nd, some one has to do it so why not me.
They then do 1 of 2 things, ask more questions or walk away, if I don't want to talk about it I just tell them I would rather not talk about it and change the subject.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,470,688 times
Just took an informal poll here at work and not one person gives two craps if you ask this in the course of normal "get to know ya" conversation.

I got a bunch of weird looks like, "Why would anyone be offended by this question?"

Old 07-30-2014, 04:41 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,224,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just took an informal poll here at work and not one person gives two craps if you ask this in the course of normal "get to know ya" conversation.

I got a bunch of weird looks like, "Why would anyone be offended by this question?"
It's up there with asking about kids.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:46 AM

96 posts, read 245,878 times
There's nothing wrong with the question, as it is a legitimate question that deserves a legitimate response.

However, when it becomes the very first question to come out of a person's mouth, yeah that is rather lame, and reeks self-importance, insecurity, and/or prejudice. Seriously, couldn't find a better way to start a conversation?

Unless you are about to offer somebody a job, I would consider it rude to open up a conversation with that question.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:18 AM

7,684 posts, read 5,550,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
However, when it becomes the very first question to come out of a person's mouth, yeah that is rather lame, and reeks self-importance, insecurity, and/or prejudice. Seriously, couldn't find a better way to start a conversation?
I've never seen anyone strike up a conversation with "what do you do" as the very first question unless it was a business gathering of some sort where people are there to talk business and to network. In that situation it would be rude not to offer the name of one's employer as everyone is there representing their employers.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 AM

11,391 posts, read 9,310,884 times
Quote:

I'm guessing everyone in your office has job security and is gainfully employed. Probably at least somewhat interesting work as well.

Not everyone can say that. Many people are struggling.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 AM

11,391 posts, read 9,310,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I've never seen anyone strike up a conversation with "what do you do" as the very first question unless it was a business gathering of some sort where people are there to talk business and to network. In that situation it would be rude not to offer the name of one's employer as everyone is there representing their employers.
This happened to me on Saturday. I was in a long line to turn in cable equipment and it was one of the first things a person behind me asked, within the first 3 minutes. I thought about this thread. I did answer.

I noticed he was wearing a Washington Nationals shirt so I quickly changed the subject. For the record I am gainfully employed and my job is nothing to be ashamed of. I just don't care to talk about it nor do I care what he does.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,470,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I'm guessing everyone in your office has job security and is gainfully employed. Probably at least somewhat interesting work as well.

Not everyone can say that. Many people are struggling.
So now it is to avoid embarrassment?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:22 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,067,306 times
Quote:
So now it is to avoid embarrassment?
+1.

Should I also avoid talking about travel sine someone may not have the cash for a vacation?

Should I also not talk about some new restaurant in town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships