Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 PM

36 posts, read 53,232 times

Advertisements

Do you know anyone whether it be a family member or old friend that can be classified as a "loser"? I believe there is a difference between being just down on your luck and being a "loser".

An old friend of mine is 30 yrs old. She's been going to school since she graduated HS. From community college, local university, local technical schools, the University of Phx you name it. She has yet to get any kind of degree and has never had a job in her life. Still lives at home. Has a curfew and gets an allowance every week. Her parents pay for her car and cell phone bill. I went to school with her and her parents paid for her school (at the community college). She'd drop off the check and just leave. She rarely went to school yet her parents still paid for it. Whats sad about that is, her dad works two full time jobs to pay for everything. (He's also supporting his 2 other adult children as well as their children.. one of them recently had a baby so another mouth to feed) In total theres about 7 adults and 3 kids in their small home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 07:07 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,208,442 times
In this case, the father is a loser. But it has been his choice to do these things. So it's not a matter of just bad luck.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:18 PM

36 posts, read 53,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
In this case, the father is a loser. But it has been his choice to do these things. So it's not a matter of just bad luck.
Very true...

Old 02-18-2014, 07:36 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,773,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy97 View Post
Do you know anyone whether it be a family member or old friend that can be classified as a "loser"? I believe there is a difference between being just down on your luck and being a "loser".

An old friend of mine is 30 yrs old. She's been going to school since she graduated HS. From community college, local university, local technical schools, the University of Phx you name it. She has yet to get any kind of degree and has never had a job in her life. Still lives at home. Has a curfew and gets an allowance every week. Her parents pay for her car and cell phone bill. I went to school with her and her parents paid for her school (at the community college). She'd drop off the check and just leave. She rarely went to school yet her parents still paid for it. Whats sad about that is, her dad works two full time jobs to pay for everything. (He's also supporting his 2 other adult children as well as their children.. one of them recently had a baby so another mouth to feed) In total theres about 7 adults and 3 kids in their small home.
Yeah, no, she's not the loser...she is winning, according to her system of life.

I do know a guy I would call a loser. But it's mostly because he has smoked pot for 40 years and is a burnout. He does have a job and a house, but not much else going on for himself socially or in the personal development area.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:37 PM

22,639 posts, read 47,797,904 times
I do... and they are involved with drugs and/or alcohol.
Bad choices, not down on their luck.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,224,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy97 View Post

She sounds like a "loser" to me. Anyone who spends their entire lives mooching off of others is a loser in my opinion.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times
Well, three years ago I would have said, "Yes, my brother is a loser." In fact, I actually had his ringtone set as the Beck song, "Loser." Yep, every time he called my phone would play "I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?" And I would chuckle.

He lived several hours away and we rarely saw him. His wife was very unfriendly and he was such a perpetual liar that to be honest, no one in our family particularly liked him and we were all sort of glad he had moved so far away. The weird thing was, he WOULD occasionally call, and he'd ramble on and on about politics and ranting about Da Man and Da System, yada yada yada. Honestly, we all thought of him as a weird jerk.

Then he had a complete psychotic breakdown, and was diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenic. In the ensuing mess, his wife left him, and he lost his house, his job, his marriage, everything. He was highly medicated and it took months to get his meds right. In one year, he gained 100 pounds and aged probably 20 years. Now he's living in a group home and will probably never live independently again.

I am ashamed every time I think of how I used to get a kick out of his ringtone. I wish I'd been less judgmental and more patient, more assertive about my concerns, more intuitive. Maybe I could have helped him before he completely crashed and burned. Maybe not - but at least I wouldn't feel as ashamed of my dismissive attitude toward him.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:42 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,606,367 times
I've had myself pegged this way at various points in the past.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 AM

23,267 posts, read 29,118,234 times
A loser to some, a winner to others!

In this tight job market, the losers who elect not to work just makes it easier for the ambitious to get a job. And if the ambitious, the winners, could find the names and addresses of these "losers" they'd send them all Thank-You cards!

Personally, I don't know of any losers!

Old 02-19-2014, 01:02 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,606,493 times
Lot's of time spent working (jobs you don't like and/or jobs that hurt you), little time to do what you want, no meaningful friends, no people who share your goals and/or views, your money is your the only help and hope. That makes a real loser in my opinion.

That girl is not a loser by far. She's got somebody who cares about her and helps (way more than he should , but that's father' problems.), she doesn't have to work (jobs she doesn't like), she's got lots of free time to do what she wants and meet the people she likes (being a woman it's easier), her life priorities are not that unique not to be able to meet someone who shares those .

Loser, winner, or in between - nobody really cares (except you). If you are comfortable in your situation you are not a loser no matter what everybody else thinks. Since, deep down nobody really gives crap about you and who you are, striving not be a "loser" in stranger' eyes is the first step to becoming a real loser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships