Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many real life friends do you have?
None 20 17.39%
1 9 7.83%
2 13 11.30%
3 13 11.30%
4 13 11.30%
5-9 24 20.87%
10-20 6 5.22%
20+ 17 14.78%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:20 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,703,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Granted, there are only four votes so far, but you all must have far more restrictive definitions of "friends" than I do. Or very sad lives.
One day you'll find your "friends" weren't really your friends. Who would want to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:22 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,235,133 times
Quote:
I'm not on my high horse. It's just odd to me that people have so few friends. I have way more than 20, and I never considered that to be unusually high. I guess I was wrong.
Not everyone needs or wants a lot of friends.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:27 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,296,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
One day you'll find your "friends" weren't really your friends. Who would want to be?
You must think I'm a kid. So sweet.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:31 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,524,640 times
I put 20+, but the op specified no distinct type of friend.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:36 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,518,626 times
Younger people, in their late teens or 20s, have a lot of "friends" because they are closer to school-age, when we all made our first friends...and tend to hang out with them for another decade or so, until the demands of adult life - full-time work, marriage, family, relocation - cause them to contract their circles to those they work with, or live near.

By ages 30-45, the maturing process causes these people to understand that not everyone they play golf with or go drinking with, is a real "friend". They do learn this in time, however, by being hurt.

When you get to my age - 67 - you tend to look back on it all, and realize that very few people can be trusted with the details of your life...even if they are interested (?). I have most in common with my wife, 2 daughters, and 6 grandkids. I am friendly with neighbors that have proven trustworthy over the years. People I once worked with, not so much. I have nothing to do with "Fakebook".

Old 07-30-2014, 07:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 10,078,667 times
Quote:
I'm not on my high horse. It's just odd to me that people have so few friends. I have way more than 20, and I never considered that to be unusually high. I guess I was wrong.
I think the definition of "friends" is somewhat flexible, and could depend on for what purpose one has these friends for.

My definition of a friend, is someone that one can count upon, of which, I have a big fat zero. I don't have any for any other purpose either.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 AM

7,617 posts, read 4,192,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I think the definition of "friends" is somewhat flexible, and could depend on for what purpose one has these friends for.

My definition of a friend, is someone that one can count upon, of which, I have a big fat zero. I don't have any for any other purpose either.
Its tough to maintain that kind of relationship as you get older.

I will admit I rarely form any meaningful relationships with anyone who says that friends come and go but family is forever. Of course, family should come first and I wouldn't be friends with anyone who did not take care of their own. But I do value friends as well.

In my experience, it is very difficult to find people who do not have this attitude.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 AM

11,407 posts, read 9,330,716 times
Quote:
You are wrong.

That is way high and unusual. Good for you! The newest friend I have I've known for 23 years.
And it's not due to a lack of effort.

I'm hopeful I can add one as I am going to a baseball game Saturday night with someone new. It's been a long time since I have done something like this. I usually go alone but I'd rather not. It's just the way it is.
I'd love to get my number from the current 6 to 10. As mentioned I do not see any of them on a regular basis.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:30 AM

11,407 posts, read 9,330,716 times
I just took a look at results of the poll and I'm amazed at how many answered 20+. I've never in my life even been close to that number. Maybe a dozen when I was in my 20s but it was a different and much better era (the 1970s) back then.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM

3,339 posts, read 6,009,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post

I answered 5 to 9 using that definition; these are people who I'm not related to that I could call for a ride if my car broke down, or who would help me assemble favors for a baby shower or whatever.

Now, if the OP is asking how many people would come to my house for a party, I could easily get 50+ people to show up, but I don't think of all of them as real friends; they are fun, we hang out, but they don't know the deeper details of my life and I wouldn't expect them to drop everything to help me out of a jam. With the 6 or so people I am closer with, I think we'd do that for one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships