Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many real life friends do you have?
None 20 17.39%
1 9 7.83%
2 13 11.30%
3 13 11.30%
4 13 11.30%
5-9 24 20.87%
10-20 6 5.22%
20+ 17 14.78%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:33 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,191,657 times

Advertisements

I stopped counting at zero. I lack any ambition or motivation to make new acquaintances. I guess I'm just out of shape but I get by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 AM

7,602 posts, read 4,181,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
*Selfish
*Cruel
*Dishonest (deceitful)
*Habitual liar
*Unsympathetic
*Extreme stubbornness
*Extreme arrogance

I disagree unless you mean that folks with these traits tend to have lots of friends.

I knew a lady that had most of those traits that was also "exciting" and very good looking that had a gazillion friends that she would sell out or sleep with their husbands if it suited her and yet they just kept coming to be her friend. I just didn't get it. I still don't. My socialite sister tends to make friends with these types because she finds them intriguing and fun. Me, I'm repelled by them.

That same socialite sister can be terribly insensitive, cruel and cutting with her remarks to people to put or keep them in their place and yet seems to have no problem with friends.

Yes I'm sure that people that can't ever make friends have character or mental issues but I think the vast majority of folks that have trouble making new friends (especially older folks) are socially isolated, shy, plain, unexciting, sensitive to a fault, nerdy, hesitant to bother or ask anything of anyone.

I am probably too basic to excite anyone needing that in a friend. FWIW.
Clearly these friends feel like they have something to gain or learn from these kinds of people. That's why "friends" is difficult to define and different for everyone.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:29 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,992,639 times
Don't have any friends..I have quite a few acquaintances though.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:49 AM

6,404 posts, read 6,301,455 times
I stated 3 and counted 1 person i talk on the phone w regularly and 2 others i text regularly. Me thinks i overestimated.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:25 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,224,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I stated 3 and counted 1 person i talk on the phone w regularly and 2 others i text regularly. Me thinks i overestimated.
Of course phone time counts. My three best friends live out of state. We fly back and forth, but it's mostly phone time.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:14 AM

11,391 posts, read 9,312,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
You are wrong.

That is way high and unusual. Good for you! The newest friend I have I've known for 23 years.
And it's not due to a lack of effort.

I'm hopeful I can add one as I am going to a baseball game Saturday night with someone new. It's been a long time since I have done something like this. I usually go alone but I'd rather not. It's just the way it is.
I'd love to get my number up from the current 6
As mentioned I do not see any of them on a regular basis.
For anyone who may be interested the outing last night went very well. I'm hopeful and it's a start.

I may not ever get my number range (5-9) to the next level but it would be nice to get closer to it.

He wants to do this again later this month so I took that as a very good sign.

It amazes me that I'm currently way above average according to the poll. I had no idea.

Last edited by John13; 08-03-2014 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: minor corrections made in first post.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:51 PM

7,602 posts, read 4,181,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
For anyone who may be interested the outing last night went very well. I'm hopeful and it's a start.

I may not ever get my number range (5-9) to the next level but it would be nice to get closer to it.

He wants to do this again later this month so I took that as a very good sign.

It amazes me that I'm currently way above average according to the poll. I had no idea.
Good to hear about it.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:12 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,190,285 times
Im surprised I havn't posted here....since this is a subject on my mind.

I say 3 friends. Ok, maybe four, but 2 of these people count as .5 so .5 + .5= 1, hence 4.

This isn't so unusual for me since through my life I have had very few friends, and went through times in my life without any friends. Over time, none in elementary school and maybe two in high school, then one from college. I lost contact with these people years ago, mostly due to my falling out with them in various ways.

I did have a partner/lover for 22 years, and in a way he was my best friend as well as lover (seems one and the same, no?)

I've had aquaintances but these were more situational friendships (one or two guys from when I was in the boy scouts, a college roommate I remained in contact with for a bit after we roomed, a retired co-worker), but I was never close to these people in a big way.

For the four I have the .5s were sort of like this, one was a friend of my late partner, who I still am in desultory contact with, and the other was a retired co-worker who I am also in intermittent contact with.
The other three..one lives far away & I see him maybe once a year tho we are in very frequent contact via email. The other 2 I see usually once a month....rarely more than that and sometimes less.

To be honest, I don't see how I could manage more than 3 or 4 friends/aquaintenances, in terms of time, money, etc....people polling 5 to 9 friends...wow....can't see me hitting that level nor would I want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships