Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 PM

105 posts, read 167,230 times

Advertisements

My husband’s brother and I had a falling out a year and a half ago. My husband has not really been in touch with his brother for most of this time. There was a brief period after the initial falling-out where my husband was asking his brother to at least talk to me and apologize, but he gave up on that shortly.

My husband is going down this combat PTSD rabbit hole of alcoholism and anger. He had me worried enough to contact, because they used to talk a lot. It started out pleasant. I sent him a Facebook message. “Hey, it’s been a while. How’s it going? We need to talk about your brother. I’m concerned about him.” “Hey what’s going on with him?”

I thought that maybe the man could put aside his butthurt for just a moment and reach out to his brother and tell him that despite their differences, he’s still there for him. But that’s giving him too much credit, because he just wanted to harp on about how I’m a bad influence on his brother and he hopes I never darken their doorstep again. Then he blocked me on Facebook. His immaturity would be really funny if not for the gravity of the situation.

I have pleasant but distant relationships with his mother and sister, as in I don’t talk to them or see them much.

The initial falling-out is dumb. I don’t think it’s important anymore. I get that my brother-in-law despises me (I don’t like him either), but he could at least pretend he gives a crap about his brother.

I'm trying not to let this ruin my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 01:54 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,073,017 times
I think he doesn't like you. I bet his mother and sister barely tolerate you and just play nice.

You sound angry.

Maybe its not your brother in law

Old 08-22-2014, 02:02 PM

22,634 posts, read 47,774,587 times
Your BIL had no way of knowing if you were telling the truth about his brother.
He just doesn't want to deal with you.... especially via Facebook.

Why FacebooK? Why not call with your concerns? And why call the one you dislike, instead of a family member you are able to tolerate?

Old 08-22-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I think he doesn't like you. I bet his mother and sister barely tolerate you and just play nice.

You sound angry.

Maybe its not your brother in law
He doesn't like me, and I don't like him either. Honestly, I don't really care if my husband's mother and sister are "barely tolerating" me or not. I haven't seen them in over a year, and I've barely spoken to them since.

The issue is about my brother-in-law and my husband. It has nothing to do with me.

Last edited by Ananas87; 08-22-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 08-22-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Your BIL had no way of knowing if you were telling the truth about his brother.
He just doesn't want to deal with you.... especially via Facebook.

Why FacebooK? Why not call with your concerns? And why call the one you dislike, instead of a family member you are able to tolerate?
I don't have any other way of reaching my husband's brother. I don't know his number (and my husband doesn't have his number anymore) and I don't know his e-mail address (nor does my husband because they never communicate anymore). So Facebook seemed like the best way to get a hold of him.

I really don't want to trouble my husband's mother with this. She has other issues that I won't get into now, and it'll just make her more depressed than she already is. His sister is just going to tell their mother anyway.

The reason I reached out to my husband's brother first is because they used to be quite close before they had their rift. My husband was closer to his brother than he was to his sister. I wrongly assumed he would be willing to bury the hatchet, especially since this situation has nothing to do with me and everything to do with my husband. So my brother-in-law can continue to be as pissed at me as he pleases, but he should at least reach out to his family.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:18 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,679,664 times
Seems like you are the problem here. What did you think was so important that you had to cause problems between 2 people that were quite close.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Seems like you are the problem here. What did you think was so important that you had to cause problems between 2 people that were quite close.
I don't really have answers to your question. My disagreement with my BIL was not important. It was over something silly, and I have been willing to bury the hatchet ever since. He took it far more seriously than I ever did.

I didn't cause problems between my husband and his brother. My husband made the choice to distance himself from his brother.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:24 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,679,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananas87 View Post
I don't really have answers to your question. My disagreement with my BIL was not important. It was over something silly, and I have been willing to bury the hatchet ever since. He took it far more seriously than I ever did.

I didn't cause problems between my husband and his brother. My husband made the choice to distance himself from his brother.
He made the choice of you over his brother and the reason was your disagreement with the BIL.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
He made the choice of you over his brother and the reason was your disagreement with the BIL.
I did not force him to choose between us. He came to the conclusion on his own.

My husband was more offended on my behalf than I was, truth be told.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:52 PM

22,634 posts, read 47,774,587 times
Have you sought help from the VA or your local veterans' group?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships