Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:37 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,438,580 times

Advertisements

yeah.. I remember growing up poor and we all were struggling in the 80s. Playing outside on the monkey bars. Chinese jump rope. Hand ball. Blowing bubbles on roller skates!

Despite our hardships, having family pull us together as a unit, was most touching.

I grew up with 20 other female cousins. Plenty of kids to play with. We used to use our imagination for the things we wanted and never got.

I remember the random pranks on we'd play on our uncles.. like climb underneath their bed and set the old (remember those old clocks that you'd have to wind up?) we'd set their alarms and let it ring all loud. That stopped their snoring, for sure!!

Dennis Menace was a bad influence!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 11:39 AM

28,993 posts, read 30,420,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Roaming the woods, building 'forts', picking wild fruit, catching tadpoles, grabbing little frogs and salamanders and taking them back to populate the 'city' we built in our sandbox. Good times!

Old 09-11-2014, 11:40 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,029,831 times
If I can bring my daughter to my little age I am much happy! That time was awesome. No weirdos now worries can walk any where. People are trust worthy.
There are few things I remember like yesterday,
My parents renovated the house, I walk in to the room of my brother. It was newly painted I took a pencil and wrote "my sis and me" I left the room. Evening my brother was punished.

When I was 16 as I remember the next incident. I did something stubborn, and my dad grounded me I was not allowed to go down. So I jump out of the room window slip down from the tree. And dad found me in the garden, he screamed I said you are not allowed to come down. I said yes but dad you did not say not to use window and tree. That kind of stubborn things I can remember. Be honest as a child I was stubborn but not with an attitude. Comparing to me my daughter is way much silent, soft.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
kat949 yeah.. I remember growing up poor and we all were struggling in the 80s. Playing outside on the monkey bars. Chinese jump rope. Hand ball. Blowing bubbles on roller skates!
Our skats were really old fashioned, but we all had them, and the key, I remember the key....lol

Quote:
Despite our hardships, having family pull us together as a unit, was most touching.
yes, if something went wrong in the family we'd all sit down together and our parents would share with us the tragic details and together we'd all work thru it.

Quote:
I grew up with 20 other female cousins. Plenty of kids to play with. We used to use our imagination for the things we wanted and never got.
yes, lots of cousins, and family picnics....out at the land our grandparents owned where they grew the families veggies....there was a cabin there, and my auntie would bring her jeep and give us rides in it...

Quote:
I remember the random pranks on we'd play on our uncles.. like climb underneath their bed and set the old (remember those old clocks that you'd have to wind up?) we'd set their alarms and let it ring all loud. That stopped their snoring, for sure!!
LOL

Quote:
Dennis Menace was a bad influence!

yes, can you imagine, he was considered a bad kid....lol

Old 09-11-2014, 11:55 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,451,311 times
I was born into a large family, the youngest boy with 5 older sisters. We lived in a very small rural town about 200 pop., and my Dad worked the family farm 5 miles down the road where my Grandmother lived. My sisters & I spent most of our time on that farm, playing and doing chores as most farm kids have always done. I especially remember riding on the tractor with my Dad at a very young age, and going just about everywhere with him when not in school. I also remember those big family Sunday dinners at the farm prepared by my Grandmother that were the highlight of the week. I've always felt very fortunate to have been born into the loving family that I was. We weren't wealthy, but not poor either, and we all learned the importance of school & hard work that's necessary to make it in the world. But most of all I learned the importance of family, when times get tough & things go badly. That chapter in my families' life ended abruptly when I was 8 yrs old in Nov 1956 when my father died from brain cancer. Mom had to move us remaining kids to a bigger town to find work, and things worked out ok, but were never quite the same as before. I miss that period of time very much, & still cherish those memories today.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:56 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,619,936 times
What I remember is that my life was a lot of fun. I had a great family and a great extended family. I grew up in downtown Toronto and during the 50s, 60s and 70s it was a fantastic city to live in.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I was born into a large family, the youngest boy with 5 older sisters. We lived in a very small rural town about 200 pop., and my Dad worked the family farm 5 miles down the road where my Grandmother lived. My sisters & I spent most of our time on that farm, playing and doing chores as most farm kids have always done. I especially remember riding on the tractor with my Dad at a very young age, and going just about everywhere with him when not in school. I also remember those big family Sunday dinners at the farm prepared by my Grandmother that were the highlight of the week. I've always felt very fortunate to have been born into the loving family that I was. We weren't wealthy, but not poor either, and we all learned the importance of school & hard work that's necessary to make it in the world. But most of all I learned the importance of family, when times get tough & things go badly. That chapter in my families' life ended abruptly when I was 8 yrs old in Nov 1956 when my father died from brain cancer. Mom had to move us remaining kids to a bigger town to find work, and things worked out ok, but were never quite the same as before. I miss that period of time very much, & still cherish those memories today.

lovely memories, thank you for sharing. Nothing lasts forever, thats for certain, I guess it's all in how we move on, and how we replace lost memories with new ones....?

Old 09-11-2014, 12:27 PM

does anyone remember those ol fashioned clam bakes...or lobster bakes?

Wow, were they fun....all the seafood you could eat....

Old 09-11-2014, 02:58 PM

13 posts, read 21,682 times
Positive:
Feeling full of energy
Cartoon Network
Hot summers playing in the park with friends
Writing letters to my best friend
Not concerning myself with the adult world
Being quite mature for my age
Not making the same mistakes others did

Sleep overs

Negative:
Not having a dad around
Being blamed for something I didn't do in Primary school and "friends" didn't back me up, but let me take the blame

Old 09-11-2014, 03:02 PM

419 posts, read 906,434 times
spending 12 hours outdoors in the summer- running in fields- exploring the woods, lakes, and streams- working for the neighbors farm for .10 an hour, mostly tending sheep, gleaning corn, cleaning stalls, etc. loved it never felt exploited as we had horses to ride and I loved the animals and being around them.
Sunday dinner with my parents and 7 siblings around a big dinner table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships