Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 10:49 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,196,663 times

Advertisements

I remember going OUTSIDE to play with my friends, running around causing havoc in the neighborhood, playing various sports with friends and random people regardless of the weather, going on long bike rides just to see how far a road goes, and where it leads to, rides home in the backseat of a police car, having friends who were extremely loyal, more rides home by way of the various police agencies in L.A. County, getting a "talkin' to" by my mom and her dipstick then-time boyfriend, and given positive reinforcement for sticking it to "the man" after they left, ditching school, cutting class, and lots of other stuff kids shouldn't see or experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 10:56 AM

51,014 posts, read 36,707,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
My grandparents had an old farmhouse. It wasn't a working farm, just an old house in the country. I used to be bored spending a week over there when I was a kid, now I'd give anything to live in the country.

We used to get a bunch of relatives together and play penny poker. The bet was a penny, and if someone won $2.00 at the end of the evening, that was quite a haul. But it was so much fun!

Wintertime, we'd play just as hard as summertime. Put on hats, mittens, scarves, boots, and go build snow forts and snowmen. Ice skating on a pond or lake, my climate is too warm for ice skating, but I wish I could do that again.
That sounds fun! Do you remember the snow boots back then, sitting on the floor holding on for dear life while your mom tried to pull them off?

Old 09-13-2014, 12:26 PM

983 posts, read 997,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That sounds fun! Do you remember the snow boots back then, sitting on the floor holding on for dear life while your mom tried to pull them off?
Haha, oh yeah. You walk in and the first thing you hear is, "GET OUT OF THOSE WET CLOTHES!!!" Then the yanking off the boots begins.

Ahh, good times.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:54 PM

28,971 posts, read 30,343,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
My grandparents had an old farmhouse. It wasn't a working farm, just an old house in the country. I used to be bored spending a week over there when I was a kid, now I'd give anything to live in the country.

We used to get a bunch of relatives together and play penny poker. The bet was a penny, and if someone won $2.00 at the end of the evening, that was quite a haul. But it was so much fun!

Wintertime, we'd play just as hard as summertime. Put on hats, mittens, scarves, boots, and go build snow forts and snowmen. Ice skating on a pond or lake, my climate is too warm for ice skating, but I wish I could do that again.
We had a community lake, the fire company filled up, wasn't deep, so it froze, and the fire company would come occassionally and spray the top so it would freeze smooth, and there was a beautiful log cabin shelter, with a huge fireplace, when you couldn't take the cold any longer, you'd go in and warm up with a cup of hot choc.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:55 PM

28,971 posts, read 30,343,254 times
does anyone remember dying Easter Eggs with onion shells?

Old 09-13-2014, 01:44 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,699,542 times
we were a lower middle class family living in a small but adequate house (there were 4 of us and my parents). we had a huge backyard and eventually a pool. my now late father (bless his soul) never made any more than $38,000/yr but somehow always made sure the 4 of us had great Xmas'. none of us felt deprived in any way during the holidays. same with me and my brother's birthdays - both were right after Xmas and neither of us felt like we were missing out on anything even that close to Xmas. always appreciated my father for that and i'm glad i had the chance to tell him so before he died 2 months ago. my mom was great too - together they were greatest parents.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:28 PM

12,979 posts, read 9,692,345 times
Not having a whole lot but the love was always there. I remember how friendly and helpful all the neighbors were, and how your mom would borrow a cup of sugar or a stick of butter and the next time she goes grocery shopping, she would buy that neighbor a pack of butter or bag of sugar and have you take the whole thing over there. catching crayfish and tadpoles, picking wild plums that were everywhere, climbing trees, flying june bugs on a string, making your own kite from newspapers, mud pies after the rain. I can go on and on, you didn't have a care in the world seems like. Those were the days, oh and the great big old moon pies and the original orange crush soda.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:14 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,278,197 times
My childhood and growing up is not a place I like to re-visit. It was all really bad stuff.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:07 PM

19,443 posts, read 15,295,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
My teen years for example, I lived very girly episodes, reading girly magazines with friends, going shopping, sending sms, writting letters, watching sitcoms...

And my childhood, I remember especially Christmas time with my cousins and holidays in he coast.
Seventeen and Teen magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
does anyone remember dying Easter Eggs with onion shells?
Purple (red) onions, I'm assuming? Never heard of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
My childhood and growing up is not a place I like to re-visit. It was all really bad stuff.
I'm really sorry to hear that, amylewis.

I don't know why I remember this so vividly, because it wasn't a regular occurrence, but I remember, in summer, my brother and I pulling each other around in a wagon filled with water to cool ourselves off, at dusk, while my mom hosed down the plants and the driveway (what drought? lol).

In winter, walking home from school through a field and splashing in mud puddles and trying to explain to my mom that I slipped or fell into them. Like she didn't know, lol.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:17 PM

2,322 posts, read 925,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Seventeen and Teen magazine.
OMG I remember Teen Beat, Tiger Beat and my cousins going crazy over Leif Garrett
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships