Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 07:15 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Why more harm to relationships?
This thread shows plenty of examples of the harm to relationships. You like someone in real life enough to add them as a friend on Facebook only to discover that they are actually really annoying and/or obnoxious once you really get to know what they are thinking and sharing. Or when you get together with friends or family and people are constantly checking FB or posting status updates or uploading photos instead of being present in the moment. The example in this thread of the guy posting his date on Facebook comes to mind as an example of this.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:11 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
This thread shows plenty of examples of the harm to relationships. You like someone in real life enough to add them as a friend on Facebook only to discover that they are actually really annoying and/or obnoxious once you really get to know what they are thinking and sharing. Or when you get together with friends or family and people are constantly checking FB or posting status updates or uploading photos instead of being present in the moment. The example in this thread of the guy posting his date on Facebook comes to mind as an example of this.
Lets not confuse friends with "Facebook friends". The former are people who remain in your life regardless of what forum you use to communicate with them. The latter can be a mix of friends, family, acquaintances, friends-of-friends, and people you knew 30 years ago. Dig deeper, and you'd most likely find that the relationships being lost because of Facebook probably wouldn't have existed without Facebook in the first place.

"The example in this thread of the guy posting his date on Facebook comes to mind as an example of this."

Yet you say this as though this guy was a great catch, would have made a wonderful husband and father, but dang, Facebook lost him the woman of his dreams. On the contrary, he sounds like a dimwitted cad who she's better off without. Thank you modern technology for allowing her to cut to the chase without wasting time having to figure it out the hard way.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The one thing I won't do is ever add any girl to FB who I start dating. If she gets upset and think Im hiding something then I guess I will just say BYE! LOL

Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I love this thread. It's hilarious! I agree with everything that has been mentioned these past 28 pages. Probably my top list of annoying Facebook things at the moment are:

1. Selfies. I can totally understand a few here and there, but people who put up daily selfies of themselves are on the top of my annoying list. There is no context to the picture either, it's just a close up of the face. Trust me, I know what you look like after the 10,478 pictures of yourself that have danced across my screen. Constant couple selfies are even worse.

2. Public Spouse Adoration. The only people I know who do this are those who have relationship issues.

3. Pictures Of Food. You are not a professional photographer and that food barely looks edible.

4. Little Kid Pics. I have a friend with 3 very, very cute little kids. I would love to see a pic of them once and a while, but she posts several of them every single day. Every picture she snaps on her smart phone goes up on the newsfeed with a long series of hashtags.

5. Sharing Private Conversations. This REALLY bothers me. Parents who have a conversation with their teen and then share the contents on Facebook, so we can all know what a world changer they are raising. I cannot imagine even contemplating sharing the deep conversations I have with my teenagers with the whole world.

6. Workouts. I have a smart phone and the map-my-run app. When my work out is over it asks if I want to share it on Facebook. NO! It seems many people choose YES!
#2 for sure! I have a relative who litters FB with how "beautiful" his wife is, how "wonderful" she is, and she does the same. So what do we get from HER? Not on FB but tons of texts about how she thinks he's cheating on her, how she's confronted him, how he's admitted it and then denied it...on and on and on. These are the same ones who slap you in the face with every.single.post being about extreme politics/religion/guns! I finally did block them. Tried just blocking the pages they were posting from but that didn't always work so had to block them. Just sad.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:06 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
#2 I gotta agree too. The ones that are "over-the-top" about posting their "love story" more times than not are lying about how things really are. Once had a close friend posted engagement pics and acted so happy, literally a week later, maybe less, they broke up. She's a trainwreck when it comes to relationships. Then, she married a man that only lasted barely a year. She post pics or statuses how happy with her man then boom outta nowhere she's single again
The ones I blocked have been married for over 12 years. You'd think they'd be 'over it' by now and I guess they are if he's really cheating on her! I bet they won't put THAT on FB though.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The ones I blocked have been married for over 12 years. You'd think they'd be 'over it' by now and I guess they are if he's really cheating on her! I bet they won't put THAT on FB though.
No way they can do that, they trying to win the internet LOL

Old 10-18-2014, 08:25 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,978 times
That annoying person that sends pictures of everything during the day? THAT WAS ME...for a while.
I moved out west recently, and now have the opportunity to have been taking some great road trips because theyre now close to home. California, etc. I took to posts of what I thought was interesting quirky stuff....statues of surfers, mountains, crazy food etc. It was interesting and/or funny to me, and I figured it would be to my friends on the other side of the country. And I was sending several a day....I got kind of carried away. Recently an older Facebook friend and former co-worker....a grouchy but a loveable one with a heart of gold.....commented in Facebook about one of my posts: "I love your Facebook posts but they make me feel so plain."
She died a couple of weeks later.
I had become The Annoying Facebook Friend.
I dont dwell on it much, but I thought what I was doing was no different than sending postcards to family back home from neat vacations. But if I received several postcards a day from someone I'd get annoyed.
Its also like sending Christmas card "family update letters." The people sending them would have good intentions, but then many on the receiving end would roll their eyes and see it as boasting or gloating, or them talking about a "perfect family" when their own family is far from it
I've now toned it way down....admittedly, I needed to. I now might send a post or two a week, a photo once (or maybe twice) a month.
In the words of Chris Rock: "Unhappy people don't want to hear all about your happiness." Happy people either, for that matter. Especially if they're bombarded with photos and comments all day long from happy people on vacation and not slaving away at work.
Lesson learned.

Last edited by kpl1228; 10-18-2014 at 09:01 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 08:32 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
If I were your fb friend, I'd love seeing interesting pictures like that. It's a sad story about your friend, and I'm sorry for your loss. But pictures of places are a lot different from, say, constant close-up selfies. They're of interest to lots of people. Maybe if you waited, and then collected the photos in an album now and then, so people who wanted to look at them could see all of them, but it's not individual pictures one after the other, clogging up the news feed.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:59 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
I am FB friends with a woman who spends the day scouring the internet for things she thinks are funny and cool. She puts up easily 4-5 links every day. I look at none of them. It's sort of the crying wolf thing. Once you've spent the time to look at a video that turned out to be nowhere near the "OMG you won't believe this!" pitch it was sold under, you breeze past the rest of them.

Another person on vacation in Hawaii was posting several pictures a day of her vacation. I enjoyed looking at all those (though I did tease her that she has to post them after 5:00 when we're not working anymore).

The difference for me is one is a personal situation, a friend sharing her vacation. The other is someone just bored filling my news feed with garbage that doesn't mean anything to anyone.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:24 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,978 times
I recently discovered that there is a "Unfollow" button (yeah, I know, it takes a while with me sometimes). So who am I using it on, while I give a great big sigh of relief?
The Recently Divorced Overweight Woman With Low Self-esteem Showing Us Her New "Empowered" Side:
one of my wife's friends, after a divorce, has been posting what I can only call a sad newly single woman's saga.....selfies from the bar, inspirational messages that all have meaning for only her (usually women empowerment, big women empowerment, divorced woman empowerment, jerk exhusband etc), pictures of the girls drinking (cosmos probably) and most unfortunately pictures of her with some Joe she met at the bar. Then for the next week, more inspirational veiled stuff about or directed at the guy she hooked up with. Then by week's end, inspirational stuff (translated into "its his loss") since he never calls back. And then its the weekend again and we all get to witness the same masochistic cycle all over again.
The worst is the constant onslaught of selfies taken at the same high angle to look thinner and show off big girl cleavage. They become profile pics and if you go to her profile pics you will see a couple of hundred of basically the same pic. With way too much information in the "comments" sections of each photo and post.
This obvious cry for help was interesting for a week or two, but six months in it's just become a big TMI-fest.
Unfollow........absolutely! There.....that's better. As I acquired her as a Facebook friend via my wife....I do believe I'll look for the "unfriend" button as well.....Im glad she's sorting stuff out but I don't need to witness everything.

Last edited by kpl1228; 10-18-2014 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships