Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:58 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,780,285 times

Advertisements

You need to figure out what your purpose in life is.

Is it all about you, or is it about leaving the world a better place because of something you've contributed?

What are you contributing? What is your passion? What are you passionate about?

If you do nothing except sit home and make apple pies and drink sweet tea, I would find you a very dull person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 08:05 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,325,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
If I had a couple million you can bet I would not be working. If you have enough money that you will never need to work then why on earth would you?
Yep, after working for over 40 years I can say it is highly overrated for someone who has enough money not to need to work. Besides, you can work on something that interests you without getting a paycheck and for me personally, it would have to be something that is good for me and good for others as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
When grandma gets in your face about not working, tell her you are writing a novel. Whip out a notebook and write down some of her choice tidbits. Say, "Oh, Nana, you are such a character."
I really like this advice right here and it's something you can say frequently to grandma in many different ways and every time you see grandma she'll be looking to drop some sage wisdom your way...for your book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Just live your life OP. Just don't be stupid with the gift you've been given. It would be pretty shameful if in a few years you were broke, having frittered it all away.
Shameful, stupid and a pure waste of a true gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
If you are happy with your life, I would simply tell your family in no uncertain terms that you are an adult and able to make your own decisions and that if they want to see you, they need to keep their opinions to theirself. You're old enough to live your life without having family shame you. Essentially, it's none of their business. Enjoy your life and don't allow them to bring you down.
Yep, if all else fails this should be your default response!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:13 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,442,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allieoxenfree View Post
I don't work at all and this upsets my family though more so my grandmother. I'm 25 and have never had a job (besides babysitting a few times) though I did graduate from college.

My grandma (on my dad's side) has been awful to me about it. She's an opinionated, very in-your-face, blunt person and she thinks I'm lazy and constantly tells me that I need to be working and that I need to have a job.

I love my family and want to visit more but I am tired of my grandma's negativity and opinions. I want a way to tell her to stop and to mind her own business but I don't want to disrespect her either. I am happy with my life and I wish she could see that but I don't know how. Is there any way I can do that? She's obsessed with people working.
I agree with your grandmother.

Eventually the money will run out, you'll be too old to get a decent job because you'll have waited too long and have no relevant skills, and then you'll be living with your parents again because you can't afford to maintain your home or car or whatever else you bought with the cash.

*shrugs*

Old 10-15-2014, 08:16 AM

6,487 posts, read 6,697,662 times
What about your parents, siblings, other grandchildren? Presumably they all got a reasonably equal share of this massive fortune. What have some of them chosen to do with their new-found wealth? Is Grandma ok with their choices?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:20 AM

277 posts, read 328,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Have you considered volunteering a few days a week? Not having any financial worries is a nice position to be in, you have a lot of opportunity to get involved with a cause you're really passionate about.

^^^^^ THIS big time. What a great opportunity to volunteer with an organization who's work you admire.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:22 AM

277 posts, read 328,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I can't believe the number of people that suggest the OP "Move out" when it is very clearly stated that the person owns their own home and does not live with their family. What ever happened to reading comprehension?
What, so you don't think she should move out?

( I'm kidding)

Old 10-15-2014, 08:30 AM

3,987 posts, read 5,021,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I agree with your grandmother.

Eventually the money will run out, you'll be too old to get a decent job because you'll have waited too long and have no relevant skills, and then you'll be living with your parents again because you can't afford to maintain your home or car or whatever else you bought with the cash.

*shrugs*
Is that your expert opinion? She has a financial adviser, she saves, she invests. It's possible but not probable she'll run out of money one day. No, no one knows what the future holds, but neither does the person who works everyday. You could lose your job, your house, have to move back home...

Working might build character...OR...it might build a bitter malcontent. It could really go either way. This young OP travels...I think THAT builds character. It brings perspective and shows you just how big AND small the world is...

For all those folks who say that she has to figure out her purpose, well, who says she isn't figuring that out now? Who says she has no purpose? I don't understand the different responses that seem so negative. I think it's a marvelous dilemma.

OP, express to your grandmother that she's not living your life. If she chooses to color it with negativity each time you see her, it might be best to not see her at all. See how she feels about that. Tell her it's her choice how she wants to behave but if she continues the tirade, then your choice is to stay away. If you feel like you want to volunteer, or travel or start your own bar - then do it in your own time.

You sound pretty smart actually...and I personally think a lot of naysayers are just jealous of your position...I believe it's a position most of us dream about...and to be YOUNG...so you hit the exacta, IMO!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:31 AM

11,813 posts, read 12,059,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
You need to figure out what your purpose in life is.

Is it all about you, or is it about leaving the world a better place because of something you've contributed?

What are you contributing? What is your passion? What are you passionate about?

If you do nothing except sit home and make apple pies and drink sweet tea, I would find you a very dull person.

^^^^^This. Baking pie, sipping sweet tea on your porch and spending your inheritance on yourself does not lead to a fulfilling existence. With so much free time on your hands, you have an opportunity to make a difference in the world through volunteering, giving of yourself, your time, your money, to make the world a better place and be more than just a self-indulgent and lazy consumer.

I often think about how nice it would be not to work but I think that after a month of doing nothing, I'd be bored to tears. Everyone needs a purpose for getting out of bed in the morning, more than just doing for themselves.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 16,378 times
Sounds to me like you have some unconventional jobs. Homemaker, investor of funds and of real estate, and why not go volunteer and donate time/money and add "philanthropist" to your resume as well? You can easily become a career landlord or property investor if you want, it sounds like. Not everyone works 9-5. "Work" can be done with creative and careful investing. The idea is to maintain and grow a positive cash flow. YOu do that, and you are working or earning money, same thing. I used to find and sell antiques online for margins ranging from 500 to 1000%. I would be able to earn a months salary by selling two items. It was fun and interesting to me, and didn't feel like work. People who didn't know any better thought I just "don't work" while my husband is the 9-5er.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:28 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,013,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
^^^^^This. Baking pie, sipping sweet tea on your porch and spending your inheritance on yourself does not lead to a fulfilling existence. With so much free time on your hands, you have an opportunity to make a difference in the world through volunteering, giving of yourself, your time, your money, to make the world a better place and be more than just a self-indulgent and lazy consumer.

I often think about how nice it would be not to work but I think that after a month of doing nothing, I'd be bored to tears. Everyone needs a purpose for getting out of bed in the morning, more than just doing for themselves.
She is happy. Has money. Has invested well.

If YOU would get bored without work and need a purpose to get out of bed, that is YOUR problem. You seem like a jealous hater

OP states she is happy. Nowhere in her thread she says she is lonely/bored/no hobbies/ ...The only missing thing to her happiness is her family's acceptance of her life.

Maybe the family doesn't know she is set for life? They might think she is blowing the money away? Maybe they are jealous they didn't get a piece of the cake? If the financial advisor tells her she never has to work, why should she??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships