Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 10:51 AM

39,340 posts, read 27,737,656 times

Advertisements

I think op's family members genuinely care about her. She said it herself "I love my family"

This is a simply communication problem, not a jealousy issue.

Just tell your family next time "I am happy with my life right now. I don't need a job to feel fulfilled. Traveling makes me happy."

Your life is nobody's business but your own. Try not to resent your family though, they do care about you. I wish I still have a grandmother to argue with, but they both died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
To the people saying OP is set for life:
She never said she was and neither did the Financial Planner. The exact phrase was a "long, long, long time." I could say 40 years is a "long, long, long time" but at 25, that would probably not be for life. I'm also curious what assumptions regarding lifestyle choices the FP used.
I am actually surprised that any financial planner would say "you are set for life" if they are good planners. lol

I've been told I am set for a long time if I have to go with certain investment plan by a planner though. But that is about it. Also op never mentions her monthly budget. Budget makes a huge difference. Many multi millionaires go bankrupt due to poor planning. NO one is really set for life without budgeting, smart investment, and such.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-15-2014 at 11:06 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 10:58 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,833,133 times
Wow what a tremendous leg up, but at 25 you have very little life experience. How about friends? Are they off building a life for themselves. What do you do for health care? Will your money support you at 90 yrs. old? I believe in having back up money for my back up money. Having some kind of job to fall back on if something happens to the money is a good idea if it's not enough to support you for the rest of your life. If it is enough to support you comfortably for the rest of your life then do what makes you happy. We all only go around once so enjoy it but be responsible. You could always find a man. settle down and be a stay at home mother too.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:58 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,246,687 times
If you received an inheritance that will last you the rest of your life, I don't see a problem with enjoying a leisurely life.

If the parents and grandparents want you to be more productive they are going about it the wrong way. They should have instilled work ethics in you at an earlier age, not fail to do that, and then attack you later on for something they failed to instill in you.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,232,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allieoxenfree View Post
Yes, I have one and yes.

It's less my family, more my grandma. She just believes that because I don't work I am lazy. It angers her and she expresses her opinion about it. It makes things weird when I visit.

I don't know how to stand up to her without disrespecting her. I'm not very confrontational.

Thanks just looking for opinions.
You may not be lazy, but what, exactly, are you contributing to society?

Maybe she wouldn't get on your case if you took action to make the world a better place through volunteer work or, if you really have that much money, setting up some kind of small non-profit that you oversee.

Not that you should live your life with other people's opinions in mind, but that the case can be made that you're not really doing anything for the world, and that doesn't sit well with people of prior generations, especially if you are using money they broke their butts to earn to fund your lifestyle. Remember, your grandfather worked for that money. If you want to honor his memory, do something besides sit around baking pies with it.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think that her family only sees her travel and spend money and doesn't know she also invested and took care of her future.
Yeah. This. I agree.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:03 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,468,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
They should have instilled work ethics in you at an earlier age, not fail to do that, and then attack you later on for something they failed to instill in you.
My thoughts exactly. It sounds to me, especially since the parents aren't real worried about it, that she was raised with the proverbial silver spoon. What did they expect?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:05 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,425,234 times
I'm big on independence, but you ARE independent and not hugely extravagant. As long as you're sure you're ok financially for the rest of your life, I wouldn't worry too much. Consider this though: A misfortune like a lawsuit, a poorly chosen romantic partner, a major market downturn could cause you serious hardship. You may want to have some skills in your back pocket should anything like that ever happen.

Sounds like a great life though.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:10 AM

11,826 posts, read 12,082,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
She is happy. Has money. Has invested well.

If YOU would get bored without work and need a purpose to get out of bed, that is YOUR problem. You seem like a jealous hater

OP states she is happy. Nowhere in her thread she says she is lonely/bored/no hobbies/ ...The only missing thing to her happiness is her family's acceptance of her life.

Maybe the family doesn't know she is set for life? They might think she is blowing the money away? Maybe they are jealous they didn't get a piece of the cake? If the financial advisor tells her she never has to work, why should she??
Differing opinions don't make people "jealous haters". If she's happy with where she's at, she didn't need to come here and post in the first place.

I don't think that living a life of pure leisure and not contributing to anyone but yourself if the best decision. But I also think that what she decides to do with her life now does not have to be set in stone for the rest of her life, and people replying are giving her options and things to consider that she might not have yet.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:10 AM

3,991 posts, read 5,028,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
You may not be lazy, but what, exactly, are you contributing to society?

Maybe she wouldn't get on your case if you took action to make the world a better place through volunteer work or, if you really have that much money, setting up some kind of small non-profit that you oversee.

Not that you should live your life with other people's opinions in mind, but that the case can be made that you're not really doing anything for the world, and that doesn't sit well with people of prior generations, especially if you are using money they broke their butts to earn to fund your lifestyle. Remember, your grandfather worked for that money. If you want to honor his memory, do something besides sit around baking pies with it.
I work 40 hours a week, more during the busy time. I go home, hang out with my husband and cats. What have I contributed to the world? Nothing. I'm surviving...and I'm doing better now than I have in years but what exactly am I contributing "to the world"?

I don't understand how this bar is set? Why does EVERYONE have to contribute something? I don't volunteer...maybe I will one day but it would be for personal satisfaction, not some hyped up idea of "look what I've done, look at ME". Why does the OP have to contribute to the world? Maybe she's contributing in a different way...maybe when she travels, she's filling her head with ideas and thoughts that may help her down the road.

Someone mentioned that maybe one day, she'll be a stay at home mom. If you read this forum often, you will notice that other people think that SAHM's are useless. Some think just staying home altogether is a drain. WHO MADE YOU FOLKS BOSS?

Lilac, I normally agree with what you say, but here, I have to say, you missed the bus. Her lifestyle may not sit well with other generations or people in general, but you shouldn't make assumptions about her life. Admittedly, she has only given us a small sample of what her life is like and the plans she may or may not have for the future. But I still say that "contributing to the world" is a stupid thing to aspire to...and you don't know that her grandfather worked for that money. She didn't say whether or not he inherited it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships