Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 AM

22,642 posts, read 47,805,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorena View Post
Now I'm confused as this was my point from the get go. Glad we can agree.
Yeah... that was a point of mine, WAY back on the first page, in post #7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 07:07 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,330,104 times
These days people just don't say thank you.

I had a cousin who got married 2 summers ago, and my grandmother gave her $1,000. She never once called to say thank you or sent out a thank you card/letter. Everyone in my family is upset with her because she received nice gifts from everyone.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:14 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,359,073 times
I deal with people, patients in a hospital, and every time someone dosen't say thank you I just say "your welcome" and many times that will do the trick. But I shouldn't have to even say it.

It's like when someone passes in front of you, like in the grocery store, and never says "excuse me".

Last edited by brava4; 11-19-2014 at 07:23 AM..

Old 12-25-2018, 10:35 PM

97 posts, read 61,806 times
The gifts were both unexpected and unsolicited. I wouldn’t expect someone I’m not especially close to to take the time out of their busy day to write me a thank you note under those circumstances. Birthdays, Christmas, wedding, graduation, I would expect it more then. A random, surprise gift? Probably not. Plus, if OP included her business card in the package, it could be seen as more of an advertisement than a gift.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:59 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,673,175 times
Can you post a picture of the jewelry?

Maybe they didn't like it.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:13 AM

23,411 posts, read 19,043,313 times
The gifts were also given back in 2014. Don't think anyone is going to say thank you now.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:34 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,596,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorena View Post

This use to bother me a lot and to an extent it still does, because it can be shocking to see how self involved some people are. I use to get really annoyed if I held the door open for someone and they didn't say thank you or show any sort of gratitude from me holding the door open--I mean I could of slammed it in their face Hahaha
Some people do not like having someone hold the door open for them, including me. I can open the door myself and having someone do it ceremoniously or in any way really is a bother.

I find you strange for wanting a thanks every time you do this. First, holding the door is completely unnecessary, is often a bother for others who can do it themselves, many people do not want it, and expecting a thanks for this is ludicrous.

There is also the case where a person is WAY behind you and you're forcing them to hurry up just because you're obsessed with the door opening exercise. Another case being where the door opener does not hold the door nearly or at all wide enough for a person to pass through.

Last edited by matisse12; 12-26-2018 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-26-2018, 05:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,596,561 times
As for making necklaces or light catchers or whatever from polished stones, or any craft item really - this is the type of thing where the giver and craft-maker is actually doing it as an activity for themselves because they like to create and use their craft-making as a way to fill and pass time. Then they need to get rid of the items so they choose recipients - all the while, the activity which created the item was just to fill or pass time or to give the craft-maker a feeling of creation or productivity.

But depending on taste in materials, color, and patterns, recipients may find the craft item junk or not aesthetically pleasing.

And the craft-maker tries to claim they made the item especially for the recipient when in reality they were just making it to fill and pass time, or to feel a sense of creation/productivity.

Most people do not want an afghan made of cheap synthetic yarn in garish colors.

People should always, though, write a thank you for a gift. Or verbalize a thank you for a gift.

Last edited by matisse12; 12-26-2018 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships