Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:27 PM

26,706 posts, read 41,859,060 times

Advertisements

If you think I would send a thank you for a gift I made clear I didn't want in the first place but you sent despite my words on the matter, you are kidding me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 12:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,281,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If you think I would send a thank you for a gift I made clear I didn't want in the first place but you sent despite my words on the matter, you are kidding me.
You're entirely missing the point. That person thought enough of you to give you something. What it was is really immaterial.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:35 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,928,690 times
Wow this one is beyond bad manners. I'm so sorry you experienced this. I'd call them on it, but in a confusion way. "Did you get my package?"

Old 11-18-2014, 12:38 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,343,623 times
Quote:
I may not have been clear. What folks didn't want was a jar of loose rocks. I had turned the nicest ones into jewelry and what I sent was the jewelry.

I agree, if they'd said they didn't want the rocks and I'd sent them the rocks, that would have been dumb.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Wow this one is beyond bad manners. I'm so sorry you experienced this. I'd call them on it, but in a confusion way. "Did you get my package?"
I had thought about that. I keep feeling like if I did, I'd be fishing for a thank you which feels like rude behavior following rude behavior, if that makes any sense.

That happened to me once when a friend's mother died. I'd sent flowers to her house. About a week later, when talking to her husband, I'd casually asked if they got the flowers. I didn't want a thank you--obviously the woman's mother died and she had more on her mind. I was primarily checking up on the florist to make sure they were delivered, and thought the husband could confirm for me without bothering his wife. Well, he confirmed they came, then chastised his wife for not thanking me. Then she sent a note apologizing and thanking me. I felt really bad. That's NOT how I wanted that to go because I felt like I made her mom's death about me. Ever since then, I've been reluctant to play the "Did you get the gift" angle. I know this is a WAY different situation, but still...old wounds....

Old 11-18-2014, 01:00 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,820,883 times
I don't get it either. They can at least say, "Thanks" on Facebook. At least acknowledge the fact that they got the gift. A lot of people are like this (don't even acknowledge that they received something from you). It's weird.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,026,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A thank you note is always appropriate. I send a hand-written one, even if the gift is donated or trashed.

However, in your case, I could see why you did not receive many!

The family did NOT want the polished stones, for whatever reason. And then there you went, sending them the darn stones that they passed on.
And to boot, you made them into trinkets that they do not want.

Maybe they are thinking it is better to say nothing at all, then to remind you they did not even want the stones in the first place.
Quote:
Pitt, I rarely disagree with you, but I do in this case, along with Dissenter.

Even if they didn't want the stones in or out of a setting, the right thing to do is to acknowledge the sentiment behind it. After that, they are free to do whatever they want with the gift.

It sounds as though the OP made quite an effort to share her talents along with her grandfather's collection.
I would have been touched to receive it, but even if it wasn't to my taste, I would have made my gratitude known.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:22 PM

One of the things I wonder is if people put off saying thank you because they think they need to make it a big deal. I mean, to me, all I would have wanted was a Facebook post saying, "Got the package. The necklace is cool, thanks!" I genuinely would not have been disappointed with that. But maybe people think they're supposed to say more, and put it off because they don't know what to say.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:24 PM

22,701 posts, read 47,914,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Pitt, I rarely disagree with you, but I do in this case, along with Dissenter.

Even if they didn't want the stones in or out of a setting, the right thing to do is to acknowledge the sentiment behind it. After that, they are free to do whatever they want with the gift.

Ah... but you DO agree with me as I said:
"A thank you note is always appropriate. I send a hand-written one, even if the gift is donated or trashed."

Old 11-18-2014, 01:32 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,239,879 times
That was a thoughtful thing to do, OP. Sorry it was not appreciated. Nice memento of your grandfather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships