Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:39 PM

6,517 posts, read 6,724,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
No, no, NO! That other person made it about their damn self when they sent me the gift knowing I've made clear I don't want it.
OP already said only 4 people were there who said they didn't want the stones, and they only said they didn't want an entire collection of loose stones.

That would be like someone saying they had no use for a big pile of fabric, or bags of yarn. That does not mean they automatically "made it clear" that they would not want a homemade article of clothing lovingly made from it. Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't, but good manners would have the recipient say thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 07:39 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,343,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
No, no, NO! That other person made it about their damn self when they sent me the gift knowing I've made clear I don't want it.
I'm afraid it wasn't exactly like that. It was more the sisters going through a lot of the family items and us doling things out. Everyone got something, I got the rocks, not exactly because nobody wanted them (I realize that was my words but didn't realize they'd be mistaken so severely), but because I had a use for them, and everyone thought that was a great idea.

One sister took all the old postcards he also collected. I thought they were cool but said she could have them. Not because I didn't want them, but because she wanted them more than I did, and because we all tend to cooperate that way, that's how it was decided.

I realize this is all beside the point, since I sense this debate has gone beyond my situation . Just wanted to make that clear.

Carry on.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But the people did not want the stones, apparently in ANY form.
I'm not really sure where that impression came from, but please see my post above. This isn't exactly the case.

However, if you are arguing a hypothetical situation, I confess, I'm finding the debate pretty interesting.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 PM

596 posts, read 629,523 times
Quote:
They did not WANT the stones.
You do not know WHAT the relationship was with the Grandfather.
That's why I said if they cherished the memory of him as much as she did, they would of saw value in her gift.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:52 PM

22,701 posts, read 47,914,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorena View Post
That's why I said if they cherished the memory of him as much as she did, they would of saw value in her gift.
And whether or not they saw value, a thank you was in order.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
No wonder things like Thanksgiving and Christmas have been completely consumed by the media and our greed, there's a serious problem when we forget the thought of someone and make it about us.
I have to agree with you. When I'd originally asked the question, I'd been wondering why people wouldn't thank someone for a gift. I'd considered things like,

1) Too busy with life, and maybe just forgot.
2) Thought they should do more than just a FB note and were making it into more than it needed to be, thus, See #1
3) Are people who simply don't think everyone needs to be thanked for everything

I don't know what else, but things a little less over the top than, "Because they hate what you gave them, resent that you sent it, and want you to never ever do it again." LOL!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:09 PM

22,537 posts, read 12,103,191 times
LoriBee---If I got a gift like the jewelry you made for family members, I would have been really appreciative because I know a lot of thought and work went into creating them. Certainly, I would have sent a thank you note.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 PM

596 posts, read 629,523 times
Quote:
And whether or not they saw value, a thank you was in order.
Now I'm confused as this was my point from the get go. Glad we can agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I have to agree with you. When I'd originally asked the question, I'd been wondering why people wouldn't thank someone for a gift. I'd considered things like,

1) Too busy with life, and maybe just forgot.
2) Thought they should do more than just a FB note and were making it into more than it needed to be, thus, See #1
3) Are people who simply don't think everyone needs to be thanked for everything

I don't know what else, but things a little less over the top than, "Because they hate what you gave them, resent that you sent it, and want you to never ever do it again." LOL!
Lori please don't feel disheartened, I think your gifts were a lovely idea but I think given the type of people you are dealing with (sisters who forget to say thank you for a Birthday card ) make it evidently clear it isn't you but them.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:57 PM

Thank you, folks for the kind words. I will say my family members have many wonderful qualities. I'm sure I've done things that would be worthy of ranting about here on CD . One of the things I like about this forum is that I can get something off my chest then forget about it and move on. You've all been very helpful!

Old 11-18-2014, 11:15 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,679,337 times
Quote:
But see Dissenter you highlight this culture of "self-involvement" perfectly. I get that there will always be a gift you don't want, but sometimes a gift just isn't about you, it's about the fact that someone took enough time out of their lives--which is a lot these days--to do something in the spirit of kindness for you.

Now you will have the rare occurrence of someone buying you something you a. truly cannot afford (like a car) or b. in your example, something you simply don't have "space" for but honestly, how often does this occur? Not very often, so let's circle back, why does it matter?
Well said !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships