Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 04:57 PM

213 posts, read 253,308 times

Advertisements

The OP makes some... interesting points.

I don't really get how people think she's unhappy though... there's a roof over her head, she's making 60k/year right out of college, she has loving parents (who are still healthy, aren't divorced, and take care of their finances well enough to have their only daughter graduate without debt).

Living with parents is not weird at all. Only in the USA do they have this gung-ho "independent at all costs, even going into debt" mentality for their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 05:18 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,326,689 times
The OP should do what makes her happy. Too many young people I know live alone just because they think they should. Who makes the rules? Why is living with your parents bad? If we don't stop worrying about what "they" say and think when we become an adult, when do we stop? When do we live our life the way we want? I love my parents, and if I worked near them, I wouldn't have a problem with living at home. My life is mine, and I will live it the way I choose. Hopefully, the OP will too.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:43 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,578,748 times
You're 21? I see nothing wrong with the idea. Just feel your parents out, make sure they're really okay with it. Live at home for a couple of years, stash money away like mad, and when you're 24, buy your own place.

I lived at home for a long time. My dad was old school, and believed that the kids stayed home until they got married. I liked being near my family then.
My brother lived at home off and on (mostly on) until he got married, too. (In Italy, he's called a mammoni.)

I have friends who moved home with their kids when their marriages collapsed, and their parents were very happy to have them back.

It's very American to believe that kids should be out on their own at a young age, but all families are a bit different and should do what's comfortable for them. Forget what other people think.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 PM

78,800 posts, read 61,009,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I landed a job right after college that pays an ok salary for my area (60k/year in metro Atlanta). The job is around 10 minutes away (w/o traffic) from my parent's house. The cost of living in the city my parents live is fairly high (the average family income is like 140k/year to give you a reference) and the city my job is located has an even higher rent. I don't want to spend most of my salary on rent. I could live in a cheaper area, but it will be a lot more in commute time.

My parents have more than enough room for me (it's a 5 bedroom house and there's also a mother in law suite - and I'm an only child).

I told a few people about my plan, and they told me it was weird and that I was acting like a spoiled brat. I don't know, I'm still going to do it, but is it really that weird? I read that a lot of people my age (21) are still dependent on their parents/will live with their parents after college.
There is no need to have your own place, save like crazy and build up a nest egg.

I have a large house and lots of kids and if they get a job near us I hope they also take advantage.

I didn't have that option when I got out of school but it would have saved me a lot of money....my buddy did it for 2 years despite being fairly wealthy. (Gee, wonder how people get wealthy? Hmmm...they don't **** money away they don't need too.)

So basically, grow up and own your decision and anyone not liking it is probably just jealous and can talk to the hand.

It's time for you to not give a crap about people questioning your lifestyle choice.

P.S. Reference my last 3 words. Thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships