Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 08:12 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
The OP is only 21 years old! And how do you know the OP is "screwing his/her parents over big time"???? How do you know the OP isn't giving $1000 a month in rent? Or buying all the food, paying all the utilities? Or anything else???

21 is not too old to still be living at home and I can tell you, I wouldn't want my 21 year old struggling to make ends meet when they are just starting out in life! I would rather have them stay with me so they can save their money so they will have it a bit easier when they go off on their own.

And it's a 5 BR house with a separate "mother in law suite" ---- it's not like a teeny 2 BR apartment and the OP is in their faces all the time!
The OP said that she was not going to pay rent (utilities, food, etc.) as it would only be "token money" that her parents do not need. She also said that she would not be paying for any of her own expenses, including buying her own clothes, car insurance, and personal expenses because her parents "won't let her".

How many college students & college graduates do not pay for their own clothes because their parents "won't let them" do that? Or even not buy their own gasoline for their car because their parents "won't let them" do it?

There is a lot more to her story than just whether or not she should live at home. Many posters are concerned that her parents are turning her into a perpetual child and not allowing her to grow up to become an independent adult.

Also, the OP posted an earlier thread where she stated that she wanted to get away from her overly controlling parents.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-23-2014 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 09:55 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Three reasons: 1) I've known the children of people who make minimum wage and I've seen them grow up to be productive citizens who contribute to society and make the world a better place.

2) I know people making minimum wage who are wonderful parents. And grandparents.

3) I'm not an elitist 21-year-old afflicted with Princess Syndrome.
yes, people who live in near project like conditions (or even in the projects) should be having children. That's a great stance to take. Do you also advocate teenagers having children?

2) so? There's plenty more that end up in gangs.

3) if I was really suffering from princess syndrome, I wouldn't have been able to get a job.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
The OP said that she was not going to pay rent (utilities, food, etc.) as it would only be "token money" that her parents do not need. She also said that she would not be paying for any of her own expenses, including buying her own clothes, car insurance, and personal expenses because her parents "won't let her".

How many college students & college graduates do not pay for their own clothes because their parents "won't let them" do that? Or even not buy their own gasoline for their car because their parents "won't let them" do it?

There is a lot more to her story than just whether or not she should live at home. Many posters are concerned that her parents are turning her into a perpetual child and not allowing her to grow up to become an independent adult.

Also, the OP posted an earlier thread where she stated that she wanted to get away from her overly controlling parents.
actually, I said if my parents wanted the money, I would give it to them. I don't have an issue paying. The entire history of me offering to pay for things has been met with unpleasant results, so no I'm not going to offer it again. I mean, they know how much I'm going to get paid. If they want me to pay, I'll pay.

What does being independent mean? The ability to pay for the things I need. In a few months, I'll have that.

If something happens tomorrow and my parents are unable to pay for anything, it's not like I'll be up the stream without a paddle. They haven't really been impeding my financial Independence.

I already said that if my parents see me blowing off my money, they'll probably get a lot stricter, but I have the habit of saving most of what I earn. I already have around 6k in my checking accounting and 10k in my savings account. I'm really not the type of blow my money off on things.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
You are screwing your folks over big time. They are entitled to their own "me" time.
i feel like if my parents minded, they had the option to tell me "no".

Old 11-23-2014, 10:07 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post

3) if I was really suffering from princess syndrome, I wouldn't have been able to get a job.
Not true.

I've definitely worked with people who are afflicted with this. The thing is, no one likes to work with them and it can definitely impact one's career path. The key isn't can you "get" a job. Can you keep it and succeed? Some spoiled/self-centered people manage to. But also, how about your social life? Friends, significant others etc? Self-important people (especially those who apparently aren't even basing their self importance on any real accomplishment of their own but simply their mere existance and their parent's wealth) don't end up very happy. At some point, you might grow up and realize there is more to life then a bank account.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Consider this - your parents provided you with a lot in terms of financial support, yet you clearly do not have a very close relationship with them...or anyone from what I can tell. You appear self-centered (more than is typical even for your age and place in life) and unimpressed as to what anyone different from yourself might have to offer society. Frankly, I'd rather be involved with people (both personally and professionally) who were of higher character - regardless of their education or how it was financed.

You have a lot to learn. Do yourself a favor and move out so you can begin to learn about real life. It might be a little tougher than you'd like sometimes (although really - $60K when you have no debt should not induce too much in the way of suffering) but you'll learn a lot about yourself and others. Those lessons will most likely benefit you at least as much as anything you might save while living with your parents as a twenty-something child.
I have a few really close friends. I have a ton of acquaintances. I don't have issues meeting people or keeping relations. I get invited to parties and get togethers, so I'm assuming people like me enough. I mean, the internet and the real world are two different places. I'm not going to say anything remotely offensive to anyone in the real world when my name is attached. I think most people can see the difference.

You know really little about my character.

Well no one has really given me anything other than "pay your own way because it'll make you into an adult" with no real reason why. I personally don't see why spending 20k on my own to live in my own apartment is going to make me an adult. It's not like if I've never lived on my own.

It's not like I'm going to use the money I'm saving to buy myself a bmw or something. It'll mostly be in a bank and probably some mutual funds until I feel like I have enough for down payment for a nice condo (or duplex...thanks to whoever told me about that) or really need to get into a good MBA program to further my career.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:23 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
Part of me wants to say: lucky you.

I don't think being spoiled necessary makes you a brat.

21 is still young. If your parents do not mind, if you don't mind, continue to live at home and pad your bank account.

I work with quite a few that are 21 and older still living at home.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:26 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
So, to wrap this up, you'll live off..excuse me "with"...your parents, allowing them to continue to provide for you like they would an 8 year old, even though you really don't like them all that much or have much in the way of feelings for them one way or another, so that you can have a BMW.

Quote:
You know really little about my character
I beg to differ.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Not true.

I've definitely worked with people who are afflicted with this. The thing is, no one likes to work with them and it can definitely impact one's career path. The key isn't can you "get" a job. Can you keep it and succeed? Some spoiled/self-centered people manage to. But also, how about your social life? Friends, significant others etc? Self-important people (especially those who apparently aren't even basing their self importance on any real accomplishment of their own but simply their mere existance and their parent's wealth) don't end up very happy. At some point, you might grow up and realize there is more to life then a bank account.
first, I don't know where you get this idea I have self importance. I don't think I should be having kids at this point of my life either. I fully lump myself into that category.

I have several close friends and many acquaintances. I get invited to parties and get together, so I'm going to assume they like my company.

The whole point of college was to get a job and to build my career (And thus bank account). It's going to be number one til I'm in my late 20's or 30's when other things are more important. also bank account != self importance

Well, I've managed to keep several different jobs for years at a time, and even got promoted at a few of them. Like I said before, there's a huge difference between internet and real life.

Last edited by stellastar2345; 11-23-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-23-2014, 10:33 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
Quote:
So, to wrap this up, you'll live off..excuse me "with"...your parents, allowing them to continue to provide for you like they would an 8 year old, even though you really don't like them all that much or have much in the way of feelings for them one way or another, so that you can have a BMW.

I beg to differ.
And that the vast majority of people living in the world are misbegotten, since their parents weren't well off enough to justify having had them.
I know more about her character than I really want to. Hopefully she has lots of growing experiences ahead of her, eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships