Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:29 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,099,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wanna know their secret?

They work harder than the elitists with Princess Syndrome.
Let's try something more concrete like math. Elitist princesses like numbers, not made up stories. According to the salary article, the average salary of the "Executive housekeeper" in San Diego is 50k/year. People work around 2k hours a year if working a 40 hours a week job. Let's assume a 40 hour a week job.

50k/2k = $25/hour.

Let's been generous and say $35/hr with very generous tips by everyone.

then we're going to assume they work 60 hours a week, we are also going to assume they never get sick, get paid time off, and work every single week.

$35 * 60 * 52 = $109,200.

with a salary of $109,200 (without taxes, double what the average salary is in payscale, well beyond the 90% percentage ), they are buying a house that's 5x more their salary?

Hello housing market crash #2 or I call you out on your made up suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
1. What could you possibly know about the background of most here?

2. Who has said you were a failure?

3. What does your acquaintance and his struggles have to do with you and your situation?
1. most people here talk about the military in other posts. A lot of people here have ties to it. The financial struggles have little to do with anything.

2. i'm capable of reading between the lines.

3. well like I said before, most of you remind me of him. I guess I sort of miss his point of view. I mostly hang out with other kids like myself, people who paid for their kids education. People who grew up like me. When I tell my plan to people who I went to high school with or people who I know are the same socioeconomic class, their response is usually "Cool, you'll be saving a lot of money that way, or really no reaction" When I talk to people who I know aren't as well off, the reaction is usually the same but on occasion I get told I'm being a brat or the like. My friend/acquaintance would have told me to stop behaving like brat and to grow up and face the hardship of life. He's literally the only other person who referred to me as "princess" in a condescending way.

The conversation has taken many different turns (someone tried to tell me housekeepers in southern california live in half million dollar houses), it's not longer "is it weird for a 21 year old to live at home" and mostly criticisms of my beliefs and behaviors. I set myself up for it, I do understand.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,546,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
1. most people here talk about the military in other posts. A lot of people here have ties to it. The financial struggles have little to do with anything.

2. i'm capable of reading between the lines.

3. well like I said before, most of you remind me of him. I guess I sort of miss his point of view. I mostly hang out with other kids like myself, people who paid for their kids education. People who grew up like me. When I tell my plan to people who I went to high school with or people who I know are the same socioeconomic class, their response is usually "Cool, you'll be saving a lot of money that way, or really no reaction" When I talk to people who I know aren't as well off, the reaction is usually the same but on occasion I get told I'm being a brat or the like. My friend/acquaintance would have told me to stop behaving like brat and to grow up and face the hardship of life. He's literally the only other person who referred to me as "princess" in a condescending way.

The conversation has taken many different turns, it's not longer "is it weird for a 21 year old to live at home" and mostly criticisms of my beliefs and behaviors. I set myself up for it, I do understand.

Since you like numbers, 63 people have posted on this thread. You have scoured the post history of every one of them and found some connection to the military in more than half? And you use that as a basis to assume they have backgrounds similar to your "friend"?

Maybe living at home until you are sure this job works out is a good thing.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Since you like numbers, 63 people have posted on this thread. You have scoured the post history of every one of them and found some connection to the military in more than half? And you use that as a basis to assume they have backgrounds similar to your "friend"?

Maybe living at home until you are sure this job works out is a good thing.
Sorry, I should have said the most popular commentators. most people here have left a comment or two and then moved on. There comment is usually something to the extent of "no, it's not weird, you shouldn't blow your money on expensive goods and you should help your parents out."

Of the 4 people who constantly respond, i think 2 are related to the military. It doesn't really show anything, and I'm not saying it does. I'm just saying that those (and really all 4) remember me of the friend/acquaintance. I guess in that post, I made him out to be a complete idiotic loser, but he's not. I thought he was smart. Anyway, it was a tangent.

Last edited by stellastar2345; 11-23-2014 at 10:53 PM..

Old 11-23-2014, 10:35 PM

797 posts, read 758,231 times
We have that here in El paso,except that living is cheap and the kids make maybe 10-14 an hr. They drive nice sports cars,party all the time and show up to work hungover and complain about not having mods for their cars.
If your not like that,do your own ,pay your part,save your money,excel in your career,your not being a spoiled brat.
If your like the example above,then yes,your being a spoiled brat.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:36 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,660,536 times
not at all it just means you are 1 in 3 under 30 that are living at home.
of course the agony will greatly be amplified when there is no daddy and like lost boys of never never land you must grow up and put away your skate board and x box.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:19 AM

715 posts, read 1,238,053 times
Didn't read the whole post, but OP sounds like my fiance (lived at home with his parents, full time job, only child). We live in a high COL area too (1 bedrooms range from $1200-2000 a month, depending on amenities).

My fiance lived at home with his parents, but he contributed to the bills/some sort of rent. He eventually moved out and he is just fine. In fact, we have a house together. OP, there's nothing wrong with living at home for a little bit to save up cash (where we live, if you want to rent an apartment, the potential renter is the one who put down the deposit), and then move out. Save, save, save!

Multi-generational housing is a big thing now, especially when couples start having kids and the grandparents are home.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:03 AM

152 posts, read 135,137 times
+1 I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
OP, ignore the haters. There is nothing wrong or weird about living at home in order to save up for a down payment on a home. I have a married cousin who moved back into his parents 6,000 sq ft home after medical school. After living there for a few years, him and his wife (also a doctor) were able to buy their first home outright.

It would be different if you were a lazy, unemployed bum. But that obviously isn't the case..........

Old 11-24-2014, 08:28 AM

2,764 posts, read 2,244,184 times
The posters condemning the OP are basically haters and living in the past.

She's only 21 and managed to find a job making 60K a year. Great for her. But lives in a high COL area. 60K will not get you far in an expensive area. Why shouldn't she stay home and save money for either a down payment or to continue her education? Only child so I'm sure her parents want the best for her since financially and they probably enjoy her company.

People who think she's too old to stay at home are living in the past. Gone are the days where a person can leave the home at 18 and actually succeed financially in the real world. This is 2014, not 1984.

OP, stay home as long as you can. Save as much money. Who cares what people think?

And most guys care much less if a girl still lives at home, especially at 21.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:46 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,069,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I landed a job right after college that pays an ok salary for my area (60k/year in metro Atlanta). The job is around 10 minutes away (w/o traffic) from my parent's house. The cost of living in the city my parents live is fairly high (the average family income is like 140k/year to give you a reference) and the city my job is located has an even higher rent. I don't want to spend most of my salary on rent. I could live in a cheaper area, but it will be a lot more in commute time.

My parents have more than enough room for me (it's a 5 bedroom house and there's also a mother in law suite - and I'm an only child).

I told a few people about my plan, and they told me it was weird and that I was acting like a spoiled brat. I don't know, I'm still going to do it, but is it really that weird? I read that a lot of people my age (21) are still dependent on their parents/will live with their parents after college.
At 21 I don't think it's weird. It sounds like you want to save $$ which is good. I do think it's important for you to pull your own weight...maybe pay rent, help out with cooking/cleaning etc.

As long as your parents are ok with it....of course my brother is turning 31 and is doing the same thing (without even paying rent) so what do I know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships