Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 02:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,281,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I wouldn't "condemn" young adults who live at home after college. For every case like yours, there are other success stories. One person I know who stayed at home with his mom got married, and now they're going to find a place to live on their own. They both appreciate the extra financial security that comes with not having to pay an extra set of rent/mortgage.

In your story, the problem isn't so much living at home. The problem is the person. There are plenty of people who live at home who pay their fair share of expenses and chores. Those who are out of work or in their studies manage to get back on their feet. I don't believe you were labeling all folks who live at home as freeloaders, but I had to mention it anyways.
Good point. The poster I was responding to had given a good example of one of her sons who was living at home - sounded like a reasonable situation to me.

I responded originally to the OP by saying that in general, I don't think it's a bad idea for some people to live at home after college. In fact, I stated that this was the norm in our own society till the end of the 20th century, and that it's still the norm in many societies.

I think it can be a great alternative in some cases. As I pointed out to the OP, the success or failure of such a scenario depends a lot on mutual respect and adults all behaving like, well, adults. Responsible, respectful adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 03:33 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,124,628 times
How old are you? If your 21 or 22 I'd say totally normal, if your like 26 I'd say go get your own place. Nothing wrong with it but be smart and put money away, I know too many kids that stayed home wiht parents and just used that excess money to buy bottles at bars and lease a $600 a month BMW. If your gona stay at home put that money into savings don't blow it.

Also, 60k is a pretty huge salary for a kid comming out of college, in my experience in Chicago which is a more expensive cost of living and typically more expensive paid job market kids are comming out making 35k maybe 40k so your making a pretty nice salary and often live in a cheaper area than Chicago.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:47 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,026,011 times
There can be compelling reasons for a kid to return home after college. Paying off student loans is one, but that doesn't pertain to the OP. Getting a first post-college job in a high COL area is another, but again, despite what the OP claims, her salary is more than enough to afford an apartment in the Atlanta metro. Taking care of elderly parents? Fine, but let's be real, that isn't the OP's objective here, and it doesn't appear to be needed anyway.

What isn't a good reason, is merely to maintain a style of living one has become accustomed to, but not earned. It also isn't a good reason to come home to pacify parents who are reluctant to give up control. I think both of these are the crux of the matter with the OP.

I do wonder about the OP's social life. I also wonder how she'll feel about the loss of the limited independence she enjoyed at college.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:52 PM

22,705 posts, read 47,914,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

What isn't a good reason, is merely to maintain a style of living one has become accustomed to, but not earned. It also isn't a good reason to come home to pacify parents who are reluctant to give up control. I think both of these are the crux of the matter with the OP.
Exactly!

The OP at one time complained about her abusive, controlling parents... but she will live with them while they buy her off.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:03 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,690,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I just looked on Craig's List for apartments in Atlanta. It looks like you can get a 1-bedroom pretty easily for $600 or $700 per month. Since you're making $60k you have no excuse for "mooching". If you want to stay at home for a year fine, but long term you're missing out on your adulthood if you stay at home, and clearly you have no financial needs to stay at home. A lot of people who do are doing so because rent is too high for their income, which isn't so in your case.
Umm . . . no. A $600 apartment for one person in Atlanta is probably in a fairly sketchy area, certainly not one that I'd want any daughter of MINE living in. Or else, it's so far away from the major employment centers that commuting is probably a minimum of 45-60 minutes each way. The general going rate for an apartment in a safe neighborhood reasonably close to work is easily $1300-1600, and usually more.

Which, of course, is also easily affordable on $60K a year. But why pay $18,000 a year just to prove you're an adult?

Old 11-22-2014, 04:12 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,471,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
But why pay $18,000 a year just to prove you're an adult?
It's not about proving you're an adult. It's about learning how to be an adult. That is priceless, and from what we know about the OP and her parents, by staying at home she'll be learning it a lot later than most.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:27 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,026,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Umm . . . no. A $600 apartment for one person in Atlanta is probably in a fairly sketchy area, certainly not one that I'd want any daughter of MINE living in. Or else, it's so far away from the major employment centers that commuting is probably a minimum of 45-60 minutes each way. The general going rate for an apartment in a safe neighborhood reasonably close to work is easily $1300-1600, and usually more.

Which, of course, is also easily affordable on $60K a year. But why pay $18,000 a year just to prove you're an adult?
I disagree. Alpharetta is a major employment center, and one bedroom apartments can easily be found for under $1000. The Perimeter area and Buckhead have lots in the $1000-$1100 range. All are safe. I don't know where the OP's parents live, but chances are it isn't midtown if they have a 5 bedroom house.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,281,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post

Why do you want someone who is making min wage to have children?
Three reasons: 1) I've known the children of people who make minimum wage and I've seen them grow up to be productive citizens who contribute to society and make the world a better place.

2) I know people making minimum wage who are wonderful parents. And grandparents.

3) I'm not an elitist 21-year-old afflicted with Princess Syndrome.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-22-2014 at 04:51 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 04:55 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,276,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm not an elitist 21-year-old afflicted with Princess Syndrome.
I wish there was a cure for Princess Syndrome. It's after affects are hideous.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,281,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I wish there was a cure for Princess Syndrome. It's after affects are hideous.
Right -it's terrible on the skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTtpDwrKaxo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships