Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 04:37 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times

Advertisements

I created my name as a combination of "zen" and "entropy" which are two of my favorite words. It also describes my lazy, laid-back lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 04:44 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
I am a huge fan of the author Djuna Barnes. Strangely enough she looks exactly like my deceased grandmother who died when I was very young.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I created my name as a combination of "zen" and "entropy" which are two of my favorite words. It also describes my lazy, laid-back lifestyle.
I have wanted to ask you what your user name meant in the past so thanks for the explanation!

(I had to look up "entropy" and I'm still not sure what it means but it sounds interesting.)

Quote:
a thermodynamic quantity representing the unavailability of a system's thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work, often interpreted as the degree of disorder or randomness in the system.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...TF-8#q=entropy

Old 11-22-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I am a huge fan of the author Djuna Barnes. Strangely enough she looks exactly like my deceased grandmother who died when I was very young.
Wow, Djuna Barnes is strong drink!

That's interesting about her looking so much like your grandmother.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:54 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I just made mine up. My first choice was deluxe but I figured that was taken, so I made up daylux. I don't consider myself to be deluxe anything, for the record. I just liked the sound of it.

Certain names stand out to me here, but I've never attributed the online moniker to their character. Just figured people made it up on the fly like I did.
I like this name. Lux is a measurement of light. So it reminds me of how bright the sunshine is!

Although I wouldn't think of yours as anything particular, I DO think user names CAN offer a lot into personality. Not all the time, but sometimes. ...

Old 11-22-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I like this name. Lux is a measurement of light. So it reminds me of how bright the sunshine is!

Although I wouldn't think of yours as anything particular, I DO think user names CAN offer a lot into personality. Not all the time, but sometimes. ...
So fess up - why did you choose your user name? Don't be a tease!

Old 11-22-2014, 05:28 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Mine is a reference to the former WOXY 97X radio station in Oxford OH. Their tag line BAM! The future of rock and roll! appeared in the movie Rainman.

WOXY.com - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-22-2014, 05:29 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I am the Dissenter because I think differently than most of the world. I'm half a-hole half thinker which not many are.
This is exactly what your name brings to mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
One user name that sticks out in my mind is "incompl" just because how clever it is. Whenever I see "Idon'tdateyou" on here, I get a chuckle from it. People are interesting with their user names.
I like "Incompl."

"Idontdateyou" as a user name comes across as a bit hostile for my tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
People always think mine has something to do with "women," but it's just a weird abbreviation for the county where I live (Williamson), since I started out in my local forum before wandering over to the dark side.

I'm always amazed at how many people use the same username in ALL forums. It makes it so easy to figure out who they are.
That is what I thought your name meant at first.

I think people who use the same username in all forums might say something about their creativity or identify depending on the person. Or they just don't wanna forget their name on so many accounts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I find that sometimes people infer a whole lot more than what the reality is when it comes to usernames. I can remember a comment once (or maybe even a whole thread) complaining about parents being sooooo overinvolved with their children and focused singularly on their role as parent, that they incorporated "mom" or "dad" (or some version) into their usernames. I did have someone once tell me they felt sorry for Macie. Well, that's ok since she is a dog. And I'm not overly wrapped up/obsessed with her either (although I am quite fond of her). She just happened to be at my feet when I was registering and couldn't think of what else to put. Nothing more, nothing less.
Thanks for explaining that!

Honestly I feel the same way about the "Jane doe mom" type names and identity. It screams " OVER EMESHED!" to me. (This probably screams something about me! ) But I think "catdad" and names like yours are adorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
see if you can guess why i chose mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
When I joined the forum, I drew a blank on what I wanted to call myself, and I finally put subject2change in thinking, I can ask them to change it later when I decide what I'd like to use. Well, that was almost 5 years ago! Anyway, I like to think I'm openminded and willing to change when need be, so it's a good name I guess. Not to be too philosophical, but everyone and everything is subject to change, whether we want it to or not.
This is inspiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
User names reflect a personality who is either a sociopath looking for anonymity or someone afraid that speaking publicly on an issue will subject them to personal danger. The only place I have ever used a phony name is in fantasy RPGs where a nod to mythology and fantasy is expected and part of the game.
I stay away from my real name because you never know what a potential employer might find objectionable. Although I'm pretty straight forward with my sometimes controversial views, i can't expect everyone reading them to be so tolerant. Frankly, it seems a lot of people i disagree with on here, especially in the politics section, are outright irrational. Safety first!

I DO try and stick to my beliefs in the real world. (e.g, I once had to quit a job due to their hard line stance on marijuana use and I told them that I disagreed w their views and methods. when I quit.) In professional forms, i use my real name.

I also think you are lucky to have the RPGs as outlet for your "fantasy names" and most of us do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Nice!

Old 11-22-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
This is exactly what your name brings to mind!

I like "Incompl."

"Idontdateyou" as a user name comes across as a bit hostile for my tastes.

That is what I thought your name meant at first.

I think people who use the same username in all forums might say something about their creativity or identify depending on the person. Or they just don't wanna forget their name on so many accounts!

Thanks for explaining that!

Honestly I feel the same way about the "Jane doe mom" type names and identity. It screams " OVER EMESHED!" to me. (This probably screams something about me! ) But I think "catdad" and names like yours are adorable.

This is inspiring!

I stay away from my real name because you never know what a potential employer might find objectionable. Although I'm pretty straight forward with my sometimes controversial views, i can't expect everyone reading them to be so tolerant. Frankly, it seems a lot of people i disagree with on here, especially in the politics section, are outright irrational. Safety first!

I DO try and stick to my beliefs in the real world. (e.g, I once had to quit a job due to their hard line stance on marijuana use and I told them that I disagreed w their views and methods. when I quit.) In professional forms, i use my real name.

I also think you are lucky to have the RPGs as outlet for your "fantasy names" and most of us do not.

Nice!
Yes, but...what does your very poetic and evocative user name mean and why did you choose it?

Old 11-22-2014, 05:42 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Interesting thread.

Kathryn---When I first saw your user name, I knew exactly who it was that inspired you!

As for me---I never use the same screen-name twice. Each time I sign up to post on a site, I create a different name. I'm surprised how many people use the same name over and over. IMO, it's too easy to do google searches

If you know airport codes, it's easy to figure out my name---where I was born and where I now live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships