Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 06:45 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thanks for putting me out of my suspense. LOL

I really like your user name. It definitely has a mood to it - sort of luxuriously tattered.

I found a jacket the other day that was an XL petite by the way. I should have taken a picture of the label!

"Luxuriously tattered." I like it!

Thank you for that feedback. I've always wondered how it came across to others. Most people speak of my posts as "his" but was not sure if that was just a societal thing.

You just reminded me- I love to wear thrift shop "brand" clothes! Lol!

Or a cheap outfit w nice accessories or vice versa. And all of my furniture is either circa 1920s through 1960s or post 2010!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 06:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Mine's a tribute to the many American roadside cafes and bars named Dew Drop Inn. And the people who frequent them.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:07 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Mine is due to the fact that I like New Hampshire a lot, used to live there, and have family there. My personal goal is to move back down the road and find a reasonably priced house on some land.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
"Luxuriously tattered." I like it!

Thank you for that feedback. I've always wondered how it came across to others. Most people speak of my posts as "his" but was not sure if that was just a societal thing.

You just reminded me- I love to wear thrift shop "brand" clothes! Lol!

Or a cheap outfit w nice accessories or vice versa. And all of my furniture is either circa 1920s through 1960s or post 2010!

I just bought three Chico's jackets yesterday at Goodwill - for between $4 and $7 each!

And I love finding glorious old furniture and fixing it up - or funking it up! (Gotta be careful when I say that.)

From vintage clothes and furniture, it's not that far a reach to the phrase "Utopian Slums." Great name.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:15 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I find that sometimes people infer a whole lot more than what the reality is when it comes to usernames. I can remember a comment once (or maybe even a whole thread) complaining about parents being sooooo overinvolved with their children and focused singularly on their role as parent, that they incorporated "mom" or "dad" (or some version) into their usernames. I did have someone once tell me they felt sorry for Macie. Well, that's ok since she is a dog. And I'm not overly wrapped up/obsessed with her either (although I am quite fond of her). She just happened to be at my feet when I was registering and couldn't think of what else to put. Nothing more, nothing less.
Quote:
Ha! I think I actually remember that thread (though I'm sure I wasn't the one who told you I felt sorry for Macie - LOL).

Poor Macie - I'm sure she's quite put out with your user name.

But to me, hearing you expound on it makes me think that yes, you love your dog. If you're like most pet "parents," you feel maternal toward her to some extent. I think your user name is touching.
I remember that thread too. The OP, a woman herself if I recall correctly, got hammered big time by several people whose user names were (somebody's)mom. The OP's idea was that women should not define themselves only as being someone's mom. My take on it was it was reading too much into user names, which can be whimsical and not worth attaching too much importance to. Some of the replies were blistering!

Old 11-22-2014, 08:18 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
I've also had people misread it - intentionally or not - as Arrogance. This always reminds me of an unfortunate tendency I have of coming across as arrogant when I write.
The first time I encountered you, you were ranting about how bad your teenage sons smelled. I don't know that I read that as "arrogance," per se, but you truly did not make a positive first impression. Reading your thread today about cutting out toxic people, however, did have me thinking "KathrynArrogant."

I wouldn't have said anything, but with this thread, you put it out there (I was already familiar with Catherine of Aragon, btw).

Oh, and my name is my name, plus my house number when I joined c-d.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
What a fun thread. I've enjoyed reading the entire thing. Nice way to unwind this evening after packing, etc., all day to move next week...

When I joined CD, I was trying to arrange my life so that I could quit a job I hated and retire. I couldn't afford to quit and stay in the SF Bay Area, and was trying to figure out where I could move, and writing lists of my must-have and must-not-have for any area I would consider.

Having grown up in the SF Bay Area, and moved to WA state for about 18 years, and always hating the winters there, no matter how hard I tried, I knew I never wanted to scrape a windshield - ever- again.

So, pretty much the number one must-not-have was "snow."

And, since then, I was able to retire and stay in my beloved CA, (which was the number 1 must-have) even if not in my beloved SF Bay Area. I first moved to Redding, but it's way too hot here, and next week I move to the coast - yay!

And, I also knew who your user name referenced, Kathryn, and thought, what a cool user name.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Hmmm...
thats what im saying

Old 11-22-2014, 08:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
thats what im saying
This post is a dichotomy - merlot vs. pickle juice...

Old 11-22-2014, 08:29 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Glass_of_Merlot evokes a nice feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships