Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 11:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,289,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I came up with my user name because I don't like Florida.

Well, that makes sense. Do you live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:13 AM

307 posts, read 247,140 times
[quote=FinsterRufus;37397856]The one that keeps you oblivious to reality. Which is the one I would consider keeps you lost in the Matrix...... When you were staring at the code, did you wonder if any of it really mattered?

I agree, take the red pill. There was a time when I probably would have asked that question, but right now I have to look deep into my matrix and ask myself what I can do to change the code to better suite me and my family.

Quote:
It's at once both soothing and totally alarming

yes it is...

Old 11-24-2014, 11:19 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,864,749 times
My username is almost entirely practical. I chose it because I do not think anyone else would ever happen to choose it.

My actual name has been used, on these forums and undoubtedly many others. I tried this and that, but they too had been used. I was bored with the idea of simply appending numbers to such names until I chanced upon one that had not been used.

So, I chose my username. It comes from a somewhat obscure book, from a series of which I am fond, where it is the name of a very minor character. This character is so minor that he is referred to only once, in passing - he is not actually present in the scene in which the reference takes place. That the name is made-up for that work of fiction makes if fairly unique. For this reason, if I want to use the same username in the future on some other message board, or when creating a freemail account, or whatever - it will very likely be there for the taking, by me.

One added requirement that my username fulfills is that it be 12 characters or less, the limit in some forums (though not this one).

A final pleasing touch to my username that pleases me is that the fictional character in question is an astronomer. Though I am not myself an astronomer, I am very interested in the universe beyond the Earth.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
My username is almost entirely practical. I chose it because I do not think anyone else would ever happen to choose it.

My actual name has been used, on these forums and undoubtedly many others. I tried this and that, but they too had been used. I was bored with the idea of simply appending numbers to such names until I chanced upon one that had not been used.

So, I chose my username. It comes from a somewhat obscure book, from a series of which I am fond, where it is the name of a very minor character. This character is so minor that he is referred to only once, in passing - he is not actually present in the scene in which the reference takes place. That the name is made-up for that work of fiction makes if fairly unique. For this reason, if I want to use the same username in the future on some other message board, or when creating a freemail account, or whatever - it will very likely be there for the taking, by me.

One added requirement that my username fulfills is that it be 12 characters or less, the limit in some forums (though not this one).

A final pleasing touch to my username that pleases me is that the fictional character in question is an astronomer. Though I am not myself an astronomer, I am very interested in the universe beyond the Earth.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...g_of_Northwall

Am I right? Did I blow your cover?

Old 11-24-2014, 12:35 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,639,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, that makes sense. Do you live there?
Not anymore.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:19 PM

12,130 posts, read 8,526,606 times
Thanks for starting this interesting thread, KathrynAragon. I'm always curious about people's usernames.

And avatars! Sometimes they are very revealing, I think. After examining people's avatars on a personality forum I read I've noticed that they are often a hint to personality type.

My username is a hint to the state in which I live. But right now it could as easily be Popsicle. Heh.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Thanks for starting this interesting thread, KathrynAragon. I'm always curious about people's usernames.

And avatars! Sometimes they are very revealing, I think. After examining people's avatars on a personality forum I read I've noticed that they are often a hint to personality type.

My username is a hint to the state in which I live. But right now it could as easily be Popsicle. Heh.
Are you in Arizona?

Anyway, like you, I find peoples' avatars interesting too. Right now (and for the longest time) my profile picture is a military looking patch that says Whiskey Tango Foxtrot on it. I put that up there for a couple of reasons - but the main one was that back in February of this year, I had had a very debilitating accident come out of nowhere in my life and due to that I was pretty incapacitated for several months, and am still in physical therapy for some lingering issues. I didn't expect to be "crippled," even temporarily, at age 52 so when I realized the type of surgery and the recovery time I was facing my first thought was "WTF????????"

I even bought a T shirt that said that to wear in the hospital, and then I bought the patch and attached it to my cast! People would invariably ask, "Oh my - what HAPPENED?" and I would just roll my eyes and point to the patch.

It beat the heck out of answering with the same explanation over and over and over again!

People will occasionally ask me, or make snarky comments about, why I post so much on the forum - as in "How do you find the time?" and sometimes, "You must have no life and be a complete loser living in a basement somewhere or in a smelly apartment with 25 cats!" Sometimes I answer them with the explanation that I've had to spend a LOT of time for the past 8 months with my foot elevated and on ice, but sometimes I just say, "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot."

Old 11-24-2014, 03:40 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,659,327 times
I picked mine because one I used on a lot of other forums was already taken. Mine is a nod to the city of my birth's reputation for wonderful food and because I love pralines 'n cream ice cream.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I picked mine because one I used on a lot of other forums was already taken. Mine is a nod to the city of my birth's reputation for wonderful food and because I love pralines 'n cream ice cream.
This makes me wonder if you were born in New Orleans! And it's a great user name by the way.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:24 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,439,040 times
I chose mine because I was really unhappy in my town and wanted to move immediately!

I still don't feel it's the right place for me, but I'm hoping property values will go up lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships