Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,248,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I'm really surprised to see how long a lot of lists are! I had to think hard to come up with 4 that bothered me. Granted, I can be annoyed at things from time to time, but I think of a pet peeve as something that gets me each and every time and I have to try not to react negatively to.
I have the same take.

The closest to a pet peeve I have is people who do not use their turn signals, especially in small roundabouts. But where I live the favourite driver education film is "Death is my Co-Pilot," so we´re talking more than half the population...minimum. Road rage would be my only weapon, and as I am physically a former has-been, this would not be a smart move. Thus, it's been go-with-the-flow. Now Death is my co-pilot, and I expect my turn-signal bulbs will outlive me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 09:00 AM

836 posts, read 1,034,361 times
People who put their dogs in strollers!! Ugh, why do pet strollers even exist? Aren't dogs supposed to walk and get exercise!

You will not believe how many pet owners in NYC walk around with their dogs in strollers. It's so bizarre! Let the pet walk, it is good for them!!

Old 11-26-2014, 09:09 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,214,607 times
Social smoking.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:57 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,434,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I know! Same here - I don't get mad that easily, and often the things that apparently set a bunch of people off are things that I may observe and actually think are sort of funny, or interesting. Human nature fascinates me.

I did think of one other thing though, that absolutely infuriates me. I didn't think of it till just now because it just happened to me and reminded me. I HATE bad customer service. I mean, it climbs all over my last nerves. I'm not talking about the cashier who may not smile when I'm checking out - for all I know she's got to go to her grandmother's funeral when she gets off work. I'm talking about bad customer service on a higher level than that.

A couple of years ago, we got a Southern Living cookbook in the mail, with a price tag of about $40. It came addressed to my husband (I do have a Southern Living magazine subscription but it's in my name). Anyway, we were confused, but we paid for it. Lo and behold, another one showed up a few months later, and I asked my husband who said, "I don't recall ordering anything but if it's any good, I guess you should buy it," so I did - another $40. But this time I read the fine print very closely and there was NOTHING stating that we were under any sort of contract or obligation to buy any more books.

A few months ago, we got ANOTHER one. This time I got online and sent an email to Southern Living stating that we did not ever order these books and we don't want them to send us anymore. I also included a note to that effect with the payment.

We just got another one. I got online, sent another (nastier) letter to SL, this time telling them that we are not going to pay for the book they just sent, and we're not going to go through the hassle of returning it either. Many days passed. Today I got a return email from, of all weird sources, Food and Wine magazine. No, I don't have a Food and Wine subscription. I called and held for ten minutes before reaching a live person - from India. They gave me the number for Oxmoor House. I called it and was on hold for 20 minutes before giving up. I got online and emailed Oxmoor House telling them the saga and letting them know that we're not paying for this recent book, nor are we going through the hassle of going to the post office to return it. I also told them that if this goes on our credit report, we will be filing a complaint against them with the FTC.

So we'll see. RIDICULOUS.

Now THAT ticks me off.
I totally agree with you about customer service, or the lack of it in our modern world. Here's a little piece of advice FWIW; if you ever receive anything in the mail unsolicited/not ordered by you, do not pay for it. If they somehow manage to charge you for it, report it to your credit card co as an unauthorized charge & have it removed. This sort of 'forced subscription' is an actual business model for some companies, and they design their system to make it next to impossible to cancel. Be it magazines, books, or whatever, the best way to stop it is don't pay for it. Eventually they will get tired of sending you freebies.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:10 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,886,628 times
Willful ignorance
Lack of empathy
Those who are habitually offended
Those who are habitually negative

Old 11-26-2014, 11:12 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,844,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Social smoking.
Yeah. What the heck is that about?

Old 11-26-2014, 11:15 AM

12,063 posts, read 10,324,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
People who put their dogs in strollers!! Ugh, why do pet strollers even exist? Aren't dogs supposed to walk and get exercise!

You will not believe how many pet owners in NYC walk around with their dogs in strollers. It's so bizarre! Let the pet walk, it is good for them!!
What if they can't walk? I had an old peke that became paralyzed. I wish I had purchased a stroller for him so I could wheel him around. He passed away.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:16 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,817,107 times
attention seekers
self-absorption

Those two traits combined make me dizzy.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
What if they can't walk? I had an old peke that became paralyzed. I wish I had purchased a stroller for him so I could wheel him around. He passed away.
I highly doubt all of the dogs I've seen in strollers are crippled. They are the little teeny dogs that have little dresses (which are equally ridiculous!) and they are mostly used for show by their owner, not for practicality/functionality reasons.

TBH, I find it very sad . I always think to myself is this their way of that person having a child without having an actual child? Do they just need to feel that maternal instinct or something? I can understand when walking for long times maybe dogs get tired. Several women have purses or carriers for them. But a full blown stroller?

Sorry, but that is ridiculous borderline a little crazy IMO.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
attention seekers
self-absorption

Those two traits combined make me dizzy.
This sort of goes along with my pet peeve! Some pet owners put little shoes on their dogs for 'oohs and aahs' but then the dog walks awkwardly and looks so uncomfortable. I don't care what anyone tells me, it's not for the dog's benefit, it is for the owner's so they can have people want to take pictures and oogle at how cute their pet is even though the pet looks uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships